Options

weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Signal Boost for a single cell phone

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
I have been shopping for a cell phone signal booster ever since I saw @Lisa33 had one and used it a lot with her travels in her Silver Shadow. And then @jkjenn bought one and I kept looking. 

I don't need it for work, so I was relunctant to purchase one of the more expensive units, there's only one cell phone here (Sunny Day doesn't have one) ;) so I kept trying to figure out how to spend less. 

I noticed someone on FB referred to the weBoost model 4G-S and how well it was working for them. After some research, I decided to purchase this single cell phone model that was either an open box or a refurbished one from Amazon. 

I connected it today. WOW!  I went from an almost non functioning one bar of 4G to three bars of LTE immediately!  Now I can stream Direct TV or CBS All Access inside my T@B, instead of having to sit outside facing exactly due West and not being able to move!

The way I had to install the antenna is by taking the tiny coax out through the driver's side window of the T@B, and then positioning the small antenna on the roof of my truck that is sitting next to my T@B. The small antenna is magnetic and needs a metal ground plane in order to operate. Since my coax is hanging in mid-air, I did place three blaze orange trail marker tags on it so that hopefully no one (meaning me) hangs themselves on the coax. You do need to have 12V of power for the unit, which I am getting from a USB port. There is the small unit that is adjustable for either a small cell phone or for the larger cell phones. 

Now if I had just remembered to bring the adapter so my TV could mirror whatever is on my iPhone....Oh well, I can watch on my iPhone. 

If you are interested in checking it out, just search on Amazon (and it's probably available other places, too) for weBoost 4G-S. (I have absolutely no financial interest in this product. I just give you the facts when I find something that makes my travel easier.)

yes, it's raining a lot and you might be able to see the itty bitty antenna on the truck.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Verna-what's the green thing hanging in your rig?
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited June 2017
    HOUSTON, We HAVE CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)
    @cbarnhill, Knowin' @Verna, probably KERMIT!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    I'll bet it's a dog toy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    What is the adapter so your TV can mirror whatever is on your iPhone?
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    @cbarnhill, the Museum in Roswell, NM is dog friendly. If your dog is good during your visit, it gets an alien squeaky toy!  Sunny Day was a good girl and I keep her toy handy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @mandt, I'll bring that adapter next weekend. I had it on my desk and picked up everything  except that!  Hang on until then and I'll have the correct part number because I almost ordered the wrong part because there are two that look alike. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Glad it worked for you! It saved me, more than once last summer. It will get hot and it is actually supposed to get hot. I noticed that iPhones get the heat warning a little faster than my Samsung Galaxy did, when I traveled with my sister-in-law last summer. 

I have read great things about the directional antenna and santa brought me one for Christmas that I have not had the chance to use, yet. 

You can also get a window mount antenna that does not require a metal surface - it has suction cups and has a metal strip to meet the needs of the metal ground plane. It worked pretty well for me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, you have been laying low.  Are you traveling?
  • Options
    @mandt, the mirroring device for the iPhone to mirror itself on a TV is the Lightning Digital AV Adapter MD826AM/A. You need an HDMI cord to plug from it to the TV (make sure you get the adapter for HDMI) and you need your Lightning cable plugged into a USB power port. The adapter plugs into your iPhone. 

Since I only have experience with the iPhone, sorry, I can't give advice on the other types of phones. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Thanks Vera
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Jenn, you have been laying low.  Are you traveling?
    No, I have been going through job transition. I started a new position about a month ago. I hope to still make it west, this year, but no guarantees when you do a mid-year job change.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Good luck, Jenn.  Hope the travel plans work out!  
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Best of luck, Jenn. Job changes can be chaos off and on as you exposed to the learning curves of each nuance. Thinking of you!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks @Sam and @Ratkity - it has gone really well so far, but it's a new routine and some adjustments. 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Bought a refurbished WeBoost from Amazon and used it boondocking at a location with zero cell service from any carrier.  Bought the upgraded antennae ($10).  Bought a 12" x 12" 20 gauge metal plate from Home Depot and three large 3/4" washers.  Had an old expandable paint roller pole laying around and a used paint roller.  Sawed off the paint roller handle except for the inside threads.  Drilled a 3/4" hole in a corner of metal plate. Put two of the washers between the pole and metal plate.  Put the third washer on top of the metal plate and secured it with the sawed off paint handle.  Put the magnetic antennae in the center of the metal plate, raised the pole and connected the antennae cord to the WeBoost near the sink.  Bingo! had cell (but no data) coverage.  Really happy with the performance considering my location.  Will post photos if requested.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Tabaz, I would love to see photos of your paint pole antenna.  I routinely boondock in locations with no signal, and it would make my husband feel much better if I were able to let him know that the dogs and I are ok.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    Bought a refurbished WeBoost from Amazon and used it boondocking at a location with zero cell service from any carrier.  Bought the upgraded antennae ($10).  Bought a 12" x 12" 20 gauge metal plate from Home Depot and three large 3/4" washers.  Had an old expandable paint roller pole laying around and a used paint roller.  Sawed off the paint roller handle except for the inside threads.  Drilled a 3/4" hole in a corner of metal plate. Put two of the washers between the pole and metal plate.  Put the third washer on top of the metal plate and secured it with the sawed off paint handle.  Put the magnetic antennae in the center of the metal plate, raised the pole and connected the antennae cord to the WeBoost near the sink.  Bingo! had cell (but no data) coverage.  Really happy with the performance considering my location.  Will post photos if requested.
    OMG.. redneck cell tower!! Luv it :lol: Very inventive.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options

Sheila - Here ya go - a Redneck Cell Tower!

Parts needed: One old paint roller (can still be used later to repaint a Double-Wide); three 3/4" washers; an expandable paint roller pole; a 12" x 12" metal sheet; 5" of Velcro.

I would go with a thicker sheet - say 16 gauge.  Home Depot, about $11.

The pole has threads for a paint roller, so don't try to use anything else but a . . . paint roller.

Put two of the washers on the bottom.

Put the metal sheet on top of the two washers and secure with the end of the paint roller (which now is a locknut).

Put the antennae in the center of the metal sheet; Velcro the paint pole to the T@B handle; extend the paint pole as far as it will go; run the wire through the front window screen, and you're ready to go!

• Options
    @Tabaz, would you believe I was using the Club tire lock (the red and black one) as my "ground plane"?  I went from the same unusable 1 bar of 4G to 3 bars of LTE (no data to extremely great streaming data!). I also used my tongue on the T@B for the ground plane. I was at 629' elevation. I was trying too hard last weekend by using the truck's roof. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Too funny Verna! This thing works so well, I now keep it in my TV glovebox at all times (not the paint pole portion).
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    "run the wire through the front window screen". --  did you cut the screen?  
    Also,  on the size of your metal plate --  could this be cut down or rounded?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 - no need to cut the screen.  The wire is very thin and fits between the shade and screen.  I believe one of the WeBoost videos said the metal surface should be at least 12" for the antennae to work properly.  Don't see why the plate can't be rounded.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @Tabaz, would you believe I was using the Club tire lock (the red and black one) as my "ground plane"?  I went from the same unusable 1 bar of 4G to 3 bars of LTE (no data to extremely great streaming data!). I also used my tongue on the T@B for the ground plane. I was at 629' elevation. I was trying too hard last weekend by using the truck's roof. 
    Would that be because the truck roof is painted fairly thick and there are many places on the tongue to put a ground? Funny about using the tire lock!!
  • Options
    @Ratkity, the original photo showed me hanging the coax midair between the T@B and the truck to reach the truck's roof. I was afraid it was going to "clothesline" someone who took a shortcut between the truck and T@B :o. By using the tongue or the tire lock, I had a safer path for the coax. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @Ratkity, the original photo showed me hanging the coax midair between the T@B and the truck to reach the truck's roof. I was afraid it was going to "clothesline" someone who took a shortcut between the truck and T@B :o. By using the tongue or the tire lock, I had a safer path for the coax. 
    Ohhhh.... never want to "clothesline" your guests when you are hosting at a campground (or having friends over for dinner!). Seems you get the best of both worlds by using the entire frame as a ground - nice ground and no headless campers!! :)
  • Options
    TabAZ, Verna and JKJenn:  Getting ready to purchase the weBoost.  I know it comes with the USB adapter to provide power, but does it come with the cable that attaches to the antenna?  The current Amazon pics do not seem to talk about that.
  • Options
    Mine came with about 15’ of tiny coax connected to the antenna. Without the need for a large ground plane, 15’ is plenty. 

I’m currently using an old horseshoe (from an Amish horse at üCamp 17 last summer) as my ground plane. It works as well as anything else has. I just put the horseshoe close to the window with the magnetic antenna attached and it works. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Ha!  Well, I was thinking about using a cookie sheet, but that’s pretty mundane compared to a horseshoe, Verna!  It is inside the TaB?
  • Options
    Yes, @SAM, the horseshoe is inside the T@B. All of the WeBoost cords, cell phone holder, and horseshoe fit inside a Container Store small plastic box. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN