Options

Window shades when driving

SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
edited July 2017 in Products and Accessories
Do you drive with your window shades open or closed?  A little decal on my windows appear to say the shades should be in the open position when driving.  My shades close from the bottom up.
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Leave them open.  There is less strain on the cording in transit.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We always close ours....never read the little sign....is there a T@b window police :o
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Agree with @Sam, another reason is that the heat build up between the shade and the window can cause a problem with the window.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    We keep the shades down. Read a warning somewhere that the clips which hold screen and shade together can break when subjected to road bounce and strain. Have made curtains to cover the windows to curtail zombie activity. Not necessarily effective, sometimes it makes them more "assertive". All part of the adventure.!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Shades open, but I have curtains hanging on a tension rod to block the view and heat when traveling...except for the front window...I haven't been industrious enough to install the hardware to put curtains over the curved window.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I think it says open in the manual...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127
    dsatwork said:
    We always close ours....never read the little sign....is there a T@b window police :o
    We do always close them when we travel; always did this with our Little Guys so the we continued once we got out T@B.  After reading all these posts though, I think we'll close them and not latch them.  I like the idea of closing them for privacy and maybe, just maybe, it might help keep the T@B cooler inside whilst on the road ;) 

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • Options
    DanaDana Member Posts: 46
    I always leave open per nucamp advice when traveling but....That being said.....leave open in storage also?  I closed them for the winter but every time I check my tab they are pulling down.  
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,283
    Leave them open.  There is less strain on the cording in transit.
    Isn't there also something about heat from the sun building up between the shade and window that could cause the plastic window to warp?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I think there is too much heat buildup on the sunny side.  We leave the shades open and clip a medium size white bath towel over the two side windows of our 320  for travel and storage.  Shades the interior without trapping the heat in there.  

We also open the top vent for travel, we have a vent cover installed.  I don't open the vent cover for storage in Arizona because of blowing dust.  I do open it for storage in Minnesota.  For longer term storage we have a trailer cover.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @AnOldUR - the issue surrounding heat build up was specific to those blinds that use a reflective material.  The concern is that without ventilation to cool the plastic, the window would warp. 

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    The 2023manual discusses heat buildup as the reason for having the blinds open. We travel with them 3/4 up to keep eyes and sun out of the trailer.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    We travel with ours open per the direction on the sticker on the windows.  I just assume this is to alleviate the stress on the strings during transit.  If heat were an issue then I assume the instructions would dictate to keep them open anytime the temps were hot.  Even if stationary and camping.  Heat is heat whether stationary or moving. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    • On on our TaB400, we travel with the front and back window blinds/shades and screens retracted, so you can see through the windows from the tow vehicle’s reave view mirror.  You can see right through the TaB and see vehicles behind the trailer.
    • The side widow we pull the bug screen over the window, which blocks views but allows for are circulation to keep window from overheating, as Sharon mentioned above.  Haven’t had any issues.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    I believe the manufacturer wants them in the open position because when closed they are under tension. I also store ours with the shades open. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road