Options

Voltmeter recommendations anyone?

I like the idea that some of you do with the cig plug-in style inside the trailer, cheap, but (I am 63 and done with completely accurate and spreadsheets..... i mean "I am done"...give me simple.
Currently using my sons fancy digital and last weekend spent the whole time checking on my new golf cart batteries voltage.....to the point my significant other told me he no longer wanted me to announce the readings.....way too much info for him, cluttering his mind.
Any of you find an inexpensive one you can recommend?

Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Hmm, that's a good idea.  I will likely be doing some dry camping in the fall, and will need to try and monitor battery levels.  I just added this product to my Amazon wish list.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00CDJM9GY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3DM8CX2I8U94X&coliid=I2FN4J0ZHOKKS6

Reviews seem decent. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    I use the same one as pthomas745. Meets my needs which are very minimal.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I use the Innova as well. Just be aware it's made for testing automobile batteries and alternators--when you use it in your camper under varying loads, the voltage will jump around and the indicator lights will twinkle like a Christmas tree as they jump between green and red and yellow. That's normal and does not indicate a bad battery.

Of course I still carry my "fancy digital" multimeter in the event I have to do some more serious troubleshooting (usually on my buddy's camper...)  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I guess I'm lucky. My truck has alternator voltage output as well as transmission temp on an info screen - no idiot lights/gauges. Love the transmission temp info! Not sure if that was part of the towing package option.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    i don't like the idea of the cig lighter...afraid it will check my car battery instead of my t@b..... i like digital ..anyone have any luck with a digital voltmeter for $15 or under. I boutght a multimeter at wally world for $25 and it is not reading plus don't think i need anything with all those other readings. Suggestions???? this is quite a subject with multiple answers it seems!!! thanks in advance
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    I have a multi-meter, too.   I use the Innova in the Tab in one of the 12v ports, with all the usual caveats and warnings and hand waving about realizing these readings may not be "perfect" until a battery settles down a bit after being used.  (I've never seen my Innova differ much from test to test..)

I can't see how being plugged into the Tab's 12v  would read my car battery and not the Tab's......

The multi meter may be a little confusing at first, but it should work.  I have an inexpensive one and the only thing I know how to do with it is read my state of charge!  Search around on You Tube for your multimeter brand and I bet you can find a video that will help.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2017
    All the following assumes you have a battery charge line installed in your TV.

Once you connect your TV the T@B and TV battery are fundamentally  connected in parallel.  The 12V reading in the T@B is a sort of average of the efforts of both batteries.  Play around disconnecting from the TV, using your T@B battery cut off switch, and running the TV engine to get the feel for it.

I always hook up the T@B to the TV with the T@B battery cutoff switch off. I do my turn signal, brake, running lights etc check and assure there is 12v in the T@B.  I then know all seven pins of the connector are connected. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    edited July 2017
    ScottG said:
    I use the Innova as well. Just be aware it's made for testing automobile batteries and alternators--when you use it in your camper under varying loads, the voltage will jump around and the indicator lights will twinkle like a Christmas tree as they jump between green and red and yellow. That's normal and does not indicate a bad battery.

Of course I still carry my "fancy digital" multimeter in the event I have to do some more serious troubleshooting (usually on my buddy's camper...)  :-)
    I use the Innova too. I'm always disconnected from my TV when I use it and I turn off the refrigerator, unplug any 12v accessories, and turn off any lights so there is as little draw as possible when I'm checking the voltage.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    @SweetlyHome thanks for that explanation, I never thought of it like that.  Like @Marceline , I usually always use it while detached from the TV.  But, now you have given me something else to play with.....

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    While we're talking voltmeters, I recommend this too along with an adapter so you can plug it into a 30a outlet. If you have power problems at your campsite you can quickly tell if the problem is with the pedestal, and hopefully convince the campground owner to do something about it. https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4058-Power-Monitor/dp/B000BRFTH6/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B0G2YR7KT62S2ZNWPEWQ
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York