Options

Lighting the gas stove top

clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
after turning on the gas at the tank, is there any other valve(s) that need to be opened/closed. I don't hear propane at the stove top when turning on the black Knob controlling the gas to the burner. 

Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
2014 320S
2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You shouldn't "hear" the propane at the stove.  However, you will need to use a match or lighter to ignite the flame after turning the black knob to "on" (a flame symbol).  There are no valves between the propane tank and the stove.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks... I have used propane stoves for years. Generally, you can hear gas escaping at the burner location... And smell it too. No nothing...nada. Maybe it's the valve or the regulator that is not allowing the transmission of gas to the burner? Right now it's just a question.

2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It takes a while for the propane to flow to the stove. That's why it's recommended to light the stove before attempting to light anything else (if you have a propane frig or the Alde). 

My only advice is to use a LONG match. You'll burn your fingers waiting for the propane to light. It's jusssssssst delayed enough the match flame licks at the tips of your fingers. :lol:

I don't usually use butane torches like people use on outdoor grills. When I was trying to light a standard RV hot water heater (6 gal), I melted the tip of more than one of those! That was even after I lit the stove first. The safety mechanisms on them tick me off. I guess that's probably the primary reason I don't use them.. the safety locks. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Changed out the tank and voila ...there is gas at the burner site.. Something must be kooky with the tanks valve
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    @clinck, there is a high pressure drop valve in the pigtail of the propane tank. The valve senses a dramatic drop in pressure (like a big leak) and shuts off propane flow. You could have a defective tank, or the valve could have been triggered somehow. A trick for resetting it is to change tanks. That's about all of my knowledge of this valve. For more information, consult some of our more experienced folks!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Also, turn your propane tank on slowly.  If you turn it on too quick, the safety valve could close.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    gregndebgregndeb Member Posts: 31
    We had the same issue.  Solution was to read the owners manual!  There is a "safety" valve that senses sudden pressure changes.  To reset it one needs to shut-off the propane, then disconnect it.  Then reinstall and turn on the propane valve slowly.  The stove easily came to life after that operation.
    T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
    TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    For me, I found it helpful to turn the gas on at the tank first... :s It sounds like you have a good handle on the basics! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    For me, I found it helpful to turn the gas on at the tank first... :s It sounds like you have a good handle on the basics! Good luck!
    :rofl:
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    We couldn't light the stove on our first trip... Assumed the propane tank was empty.  Went to fill it and it was full.  Ditto all above comments... I find it just takes some time for the gas to get to the stove when used the first time on an outing.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    You shouldn't "hear" the propane at the stove.  However, you will need to use a match or lighter to ignite the flame after turning the black knob to "on" (a flame symbol).  There are no valves between the propane tank and the stove.
    You won't hear it like you do on a Coleman propane or white gas stove - those even have more of a roar when they get lit. If you listen carefully, you can hear the air pressure before you can smell any whiff of gas. That said, YMMV if you've been to a lot of rock concerts, don't ride a Harley with ear protection or like to shoot off anything that uses lots of gunpowder. :lol:
  • Options
    suzesuze Member Posts: 9
         I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.  After the propane tank is turned on and you're ready to light the stove, you not only have to turn on the burner knob but you have to push it in too and light the burner.  You also have to hold that in until the thermal couple is heated to allow the gas to flow freely.  Only then can you let off on the knob and use your stove.  Hope that helps...
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Always open tank valve slowly and all the way.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    slow turn-on is the key.  works the same on my back yard bbq
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I learned something new!  I've never timed myself, but I'm pretty sure I don't open the propane tank slowly.  I've had issues lighting the fridge that turning off the propane and resetting the connection at the tank seemed to fix it...now I know why.  This group is great!
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    MarjimaeMarjimae Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2019 T@B320 CS-S. I am trying to light the stove in the clamshell and followed all the suggestions mentioned above. I turned on the propane slowly, one full turn, turned the stove knob to the icon that said “light”, pushed the knob in, and held it in while trying to light it with a long lighter. Nothing. So, I disconnected the propane after turning it off and reconnected it and turned it on again. Went through the process again. Nothing. I think I’ve had the propane on for about half an hour. Does it take longer to reach the stove than that? The trailer is level front-to-back and side-to-side. My maiden voyage is tomorrow and I’m hoping to get the stove working so I don’t have to bring my old Coleman stove. I was a lifelong tent camper and am complete newbie to travel trailers. I’ve been reading all the helpful information I can from this community and I so appreciate all of the knowledge and helpful information.
    2019 T@B 320 CS-S white/black
    2018 Toyota Highlander Limited silver
    So. CA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Are you able to run the Alde on gas?  Are you sure the tank is full?  You should hear the gas flow when you push in the knob.  I would try another tank.  The tank valve may be faulty.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @marjiae in all these efforts have you ever smelled gas?  You should within a few minutes of trying.  Can you hear it?  You should be able to hear something immediately.  If you can't hear it and this is a new to you T@B did you check that you have propane in the tank?
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Are you able to run the Alde on gas?  Are you sure the tank is full?  You should hear the gas flow when you push in the knob.  I would try another tank.  The tank valve may be faulty.
    I haven’t tried to run the Alde yet. My son and husband said the propane tank is full. When I tried to light the stove I could smell the gas when I pushed in the knob. The burner even lit once. Then it went out and I don’t know if that’s because I stopped pushing the knob in or what. I tried relighting it with no luck. My husband and I tried again tonight and this time I didn’t smell gas when I pushed in the knob or hear the gas flow. As I understand it, to light the stove I need to have the propane turned fully on (turned on slowly), and the battery needs to be on for the igniter to work. Correct? Is there anything else I’m missing? My sight will have no hookups.
    So. CA
  • Options
    @marjiae in all these efforts have you ever smelled gas?  You should within a few minutes of trying.  Can you hear it?  You should be able to hear something immediately.  If you can't hear it and this is a new to you T@B did you check that you have propane in the tank?
    Yes, I smelled gas. This was after I read some troubleshooting tips, disconnected and then reconnected the propane tank, turning it on more slowly than I had the first time. Someone said the propane tank has an emergency shut-off if the gas is turned on too quickly and if that happens it needs to be disconnected and then reconnected to reset. The burner lit but went out and I could not light it again.
    So. CA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Try the Alde on propane.  If it works, the LPG tank is okay.  If the Alde fails on LPG, change the tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    A newbie parachutist jumped out of the plane and pulled the rip cord - nothing happened; pulled it again still nothing. He was in a free fall then noticed someone shooting up towards him - “Hey, do you know anything about parachutes ?” The other guy responded - “ No, but do you know anything about gas stoves ?” 😁
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    Is it windy?  Could your matchstick not  be getting in the right spot or be getting blown out too soon.  I know with my clamshell I have to leave it in the light position until the flame goes all around the burner, and even then sometimes have to try multiple times.  Curious if the Alde is kicking on... good idea to try so you can see if it is your stove or the propane.  Maybe try the other burner? Good luck?
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    We had similar trouble with our  CSS.  Make sure the battery switch in the tongue box is turned on. Next once you see start to it light turn the burner knob and then stop pushing. 
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH