Options

Counter is hot

The counter gets very hot when the fridge runs.  Yes, I have the fan installed and yes it was turned on.  The vent on the side of trailer exhausts the warm air, correct?  It isn't a cool air intake, right?  
Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    The vent fan upgrade does exhaust and I can feel the hot air blowing out of mine. My counter also get warm when the temps are in the 90's and a bit warmer when sitting in full sun. I found that if I open the compartment below the refrigerator it helps with the air circulation and cooling, particularly if the air conditioner is on. It's 94 deg. here and my cabinet is a bit warmer than usual but I expect that in this heat. One thing you might check is the heat sink (Finns) on the frig. under the strip of molding on the left side and make sure the insulation is not blocking them. Clearing them made a big difference on mine.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    You've probably already confirmed the vent under the fridge is not blocked-sometimes it gets covered while traveling as the stuff we store there gets jostled about.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

If you're really concerned about the amount of heat, remove the vertical gray access panel on the left and look to see if the small fan under the coils is turning when the frig is cycling (see Noisy Norcold for some pictures).  While its open, make sure there is nothing on top of the coils (like fiberglass insulation as mentioned above).  If the fan is turning and the exhaust fan on the side of the trailer is running, then that's as good as it gets.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    One thing I did was get an O2 fan (DD battery operated) and put it under the frig compartment where the vent is (if the 2017's still have that). I would set it up so it aided the auxiliary fans air movement.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We found that leaving the entry-door open wide would block the exhaust vent enough to prevent it from venting properly.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    ChanW said:
    We found that leaving the entry-door open wide would block the exhaust vent enough to prevent it from venting properly.
    I wondered about that, but there is a couple of inches for the air.  Do you find it really makes a difference?  I may have to get out my thermometer and do a bit of measuring.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Twojgrams said:
    You've probably already confirmed the vent under the fridge is not blocked-sometimes it gets covered while traveling as the stuff we store there gets jostled about.
    Yes, but thanks for the reminder.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    It made a big difference when the prevailing wind wasn't letting the heat get away from there. Other times, when the wind is right with the door wide open, it might not matter so much, I guess.
    LauraRey said:
    ChanW said:
    I wondered about that, but there is a couple of inches for the air.  Do you find it really makes a difference?  I may have to get out my thermometer and do a bit of measuring.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If you look into cabinet under the sink. On the right side along the top there is a wooden panel held on with a couple of screws. I removed this panel to let more air to  circulate underneath the counter.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    If you look into cabinet under the sink. On the right side along the top there is a wooden panel held on with a couple of screws. I removed this panel to let more air to  circulate underneath the counter.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Did you find it helped significantly? 
  • Options
    LauraRey said:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Did you find it helped significantly? 
    No real proof but any increased air flow can't hurt IMHO
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Ratkity said:
    One thing I did was get an O2 fan (DD battery operated) and put it under the frig compartment where the vent is (if the 2017's still have that). I would set it up so it aided the auxiliary fans air movement.
    That sounds interesting...  Could we see a picture and perhaps what fan you used?
    Please.....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @TerryV6,

It's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AVMSEY/ref=twister_B00VN9ZD90?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And it folds down or flips up. Runs on 2xD batteries. I left it in the folded down position on top of the vent under the frig with the air pushing upwards to help the auxiliary fans.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TedandJanTedandJan Member Posts: 4
    Our counter was getting very hot also. How do you know what computer fan to get, there seems to be so many to choose from.
    Ted and Jan Pasadena, Texas  2015 Tab S towed by 2007 Toyota Tundra
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    When did they come out with fans?  Are these factory?  I have a 2017...never noticed a fan
  • Options
    TedandJan said:
    Our counter was getting very hot also. How do you know what computer fan to get, there seems to be so many to choose from.
    Contact NuCamp they will most likely send you the up grade kit for free.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    When did they come out with fans?  Are these factory?  I have a 2017...never noticed a fan
    2017 do not require the fan. If you have the 2 outside vents behind the entry door. If you have only 1 vent you do need the fan.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I have 2 behind the door.....they get warm but counter not so much...just curious
  • Options
    I have 2 behind the door.....they get warm but counter not so much...just curious
    That's because the heating element on the pre 2017 was on the left side of the frig. Now the heating unit is on the right and on the outside wall. Where it vents the heat better.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I gotcha....well I won't worry then.  Thanks for the clarification
  • Options
    KarrieKKarrieK Member Posts: 3
    I saw a post that indicated the insulation on the top of the frig can slip and can actually block air from getting to the vent and causing heat concerns for countertop.  Said to open vent on outside of trailer to see it it had slipped.  Sound familiar?