Norcold 3 Way Refrigerator 2018 Tab-S Issues

I recently purchase a used 2018 Tab-S and first ran the refrigerator on 120 volt power and it was working fine with a good flow of hot air being expelled from the upper refrigerator vent on the outside of the trailer.   Later I noticed the counter between the stove and wall of the camper was very warm, the refrigerator interior was warm and noticed  hot air was no longer venting out of the upper refrigerator vent on the side of the camper.  Upon removing the upper vent cover I found the insulation board that was only tapped in place to cover the underside of the counter top had fallen down blocking the vent.  I reworked the insulation board and re-tapped with AC foil tape and it works fine again.   With the insulation board properly installed on the underside of the counter tip, the counter should never get warm as evident after my repair and the refrigerator is cooling again.  If you feel a warm counter top with the refrigerator running, check the insulation board by removing the upper vent on the side of the trailer.

Also I could not get the refrigerator to ignite on propane.  I was turning the gas knob to the coldest position when trying to light it without success.  Even tried using an external flame to light it while pushing the gas knob in at the max position without success.   Apparently the gas control knob was not allowing gas to flow when pushed in.  I confirmed the spark igniter was functioning and eventually tried lighting with the gas control knob in the middle position and it ignited right away every time!  Once working on propane the flame always goes out when I move the control knob to the coldest (max) position.  I have not been able to resolve the gas control knob issue yet but if you are having trouble getting it to ignite  on propane, try different positions of the gas control knob.

2019 T@B 320S

Comments

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Try turning the propane off and reopen the valve slowly. Might help with the high setting on gas.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited July 2019
    Had the same issue with our 2019 320S on our maiden voyage . Noticed the right side of the counter top getting warm . Thought it might be normal, but decided to check anyway . Sure enough the insulation board that is taped to the underside of the countertop had fallen down and was allowing the heat from the refrigerator to be transferred to the counter top . I just put it back in place for now, but will be looking for a more permanent solution that doesn't involve tape holding it in place . 
    We do not have any issues so far with the propane valve/knob flow . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    @grassgd thank you for posting this. The first time I had me new 2019 out the fridge worked great the first 2 days but by day 3 the counter was hot and it stopped cooling. I was already packing up to leave, so I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot. I will def check the insulation before trying to use again!
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    Although I risk taking a lot of "heat" for the following observations, the more I read about things like this (i.e., an insulation board that is taped in place), I really question just how well built/designed T@B campers actually are.  My wife and I love our camper, and we have had no issues with it or the appliances thus far, but it seems that nüCamp doesn't fully think through some of this stuff.

How many times (daily) do we hear about leaks due to loose connections, cracked plastic trim that is written off as just a "cosmetic" issue that we should not be worried about, the recent issues with the poor design of the below floor A/C intake and exhaust, inaccessible plumbing connections, a fresh water tank that really only provides you with about 80% of available water, very short electrical connections for running lights or a very short connection to the fresh-water fill tube, mosquitoes and no-see-um intrusion through the window and door screens, no hot water (usually due to the improperly set Alde mixing valve), etc., etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (even though it may sound that way), but rather pointing out something many of us may be thinking, but not expressing for fear of being criticized.  We have been lucky with our particular camper, and I was very impressed when we purchased it with how great a job they did with the interior caulking (it was done perfectly.)  BUT, could it be that we have all just been mesmerized with the "look" of our campers and how much fun we have personalizing them (the "cute" factor), or adding cool mods?  AND, as a result, we just want to heap praise on 
    nüCamp for doing a much better job of designing an RV than other manufacturers?

It is true that nüCamp does a better job when it comes to customer service, and many folks very much appreciate the annual üCamp that they host.  However, these recurring issues really make me wonder just how careful they are in designing and building their campers and the level of their quality control.  I will say that I am very thankful and appreciative of all the info that I have read on this forum.  It has helped me avoid problems before they occur.  Additionally, I have been impressed that nüCamp routinely adds and incorporates improvements to their campers, many of which are the result of modifications designed by T@B owners themselves.  It demonstrates that they are watching and listening to their many loyal followers and trying to improve their product.  Kudos to them for that.

Finally, something I think we can all agree on, is that nüCamp should dedicate the time and effort necessary to produce a more complete, detailed, easy to understand and up to date owner's manual.  Same goes for manufacturers, like Alde and Norcold.  That bit of effort would probably reduce a great amount of frustration for T@B owners, many of whom have not previously owned an RV.  The technical videos they have been posting are nice, but very oversimplified and vague, so they really are not all that helpful in my view.  A good example is the video on how to set the Alde mixing valve, which I found to be far from the reality of what is required for proper adjustment.  I question why that valve is not set correctly at the factory?  If they did just that, think how much frustration they would eliminate for their customers.

OK, let me have it with everyone's push-back on my comments.  Hope I haven't over-stepped my bounds with these remarks.  (If the negative feedback gets too "heated," I may have to go incognito under another user name.........only the Administrator and Moderators will know my secret.)  
    B)   

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Ah @Bayliss The peasants will be storming your castle with pitchforks and torches tonight!

Since this is our first and likely only travel trailer, we’ve no others with which to compare for any purpose-quality, service, dealers etc. I read this post as a tactful reminder that every manufacturer should get annually about quality. Only Nücamp knows what the “tipping point” is for superior quality vs. production totals vs. sales. I believe they try to stay competitive while maintaining excellent service standards and hope they continue to grow and prosper. You’ve been a force for good with your many posted questions and offered solutions, so I hope you prosper too!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

edited July 2019
    Thank you for the kind and enlightening comments @jgram2.  I am gratified that you read my comments with the spirit with which they are intended.  You are the only brave soul, so far, to provide a response.  The others must be held off by the invisible moat I have recently added to my "castle."  But, as you have intimated, I may be in for trouble tonight under the cover of darkness.  I do agree that nüCamp has one-up on their competitors when it comes to quality and service, so it's all good.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Bayliss, A former moderator pointed out that, as members report TaB short-comings they appear abundant.  If everyone reported the systems that worked flawlessly every time they used their TaB, I think we would have a better perspective.  I think nuCamp is always working on improving, but they need owner feedback.  They are receptive to feedback, but change comes slowly for some items.  As an example, has anyone called nuCamp about the loose insulation yet?  I suspect they will rectify their process to prevent the hot counter.  I think sometimes they try something new and it just doesn’t work out or maybe the supplier substitutes something that just isn’t as good as the original.  I agree, the manual needs work - still better than it was.  Anyway, having read a multitude of RV reviews by owners of other brands, I still feel like we found a solid company and product.  They aren’t perfect and I think there have been some growing pains, but they are on the right track.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I do not disagree with any of your points.  Well said.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Referred to nüCamp today. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I did inform my dealer of the issue . They are contacting nuCamp about it as well . I think a fix is in the works now .........

• mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks Bayliss.  I agree 100%.  I appreciate everything "good" about NuCamp.  Mostly that they are receptive and really do seem to care about us customers.  And while I've been fortunate with my 2016S to not have most of the problems I always read about, it is true that the same keep happening over and over.  A users manual for dummies, with great problem solving/trouble shooting sections, would be so appreciated.  I know NuCamp is making videos to address this issue, but as mentioned, those I've seen don't dig "deep enough" into the problem.  I'll keep watching!
    edited August 2019
    I repaired mine this weekend . 3 hours from the dealer , and no fix from nuCamp yet ........decided I had to do something ! 
    Here are some pictures of the problem .......and my repair . 
    Just used some 3M 5200 Marine adhesive sealant and glued the insulation board back in place . Then stapled the foil tape back over the wood strip , where it was in the first place . 
    Ran the fridge on 120v and propane for over an hour . Counter stop remains cool now, and all the heat expels out the vent panel where it should . 

Pictures ...........You can see in the first couple pictures how the insulation board falls down, and even falls down low enough to potentially and completely block the vent ! 

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Our counter top gets hot to the point that I purchased a fan and thermostat to help vent the heat out of the fridge vent compartment,  it took care of it.  Wonder why it isn't standard equipment?  I think I have $20 in it.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    Cbusguy said:
    Our counter top gets hot to the point that I purchased a fan and thermostat to help vent the heat out of the fridge vent compartment,  it took care of it.  Wonder why it isn't standard equipment?  I think I have $20 in it.

The fan is prob a good idea ......will prob add one soon . Just worried about the heat when the visor is attached ! 
    Do you have a thread going on the install with some pictures ? Thanks 

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited August 2019
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Bayliss said:
    BUT, could it be that we have all just been mesmerized with the "look" of our campers and how much fun we have personalizing them (the "cute" factor), or adding cool mods?  AND, as a result, we just want to heap praise on nüCamp for doing a much better job of designing an RV than other manufacturers?

Have you had another RV? This is number 4 for me. Every one had issues. The nuCamp product has had fewer...and mostly those that stem from the fact that towing a rolling earthquake for 300 miles is likely to loosen connections.

Mine has already outperformed a friend’s equally brand new Winnebago, which managed to have a furnace issue that started two weeks into ownership and took Dometic and Winnebago all winter to finally fix. That was just one of several issues, small and large, that she encountered in the first several months.

Finally, something I think we can all agree on, is that nüCamp should dedicate the time and effort necessary to produce a more complete, detailed, easy to understand and up to date owner's manual.  Same goes for manufacturers, like Alde and Norcold.  That bit of effort would probably reduce a great amount of frustration for T@B owners, many of whom have not previously owned an RV.  The technical videos they have been posting are nice, but very oversimplified and vague, so they really are not all that helpful in my view.  A good example is the video on how to set the Alde mixing valve, which I found to be far from the reality of what is required for proper adjustment.  I question why that valve is not set correctly at the factory?  If they did just that, think how much frustration they would eliminate for their customers.
    The valve is set to minimum at the factory for liability purposes. The dealers should be trained in how to set it AND should be capable of teaching the customer how to do so. It should be covered in the walkthrough. And yes, the video is inadequate; so far I think they all are. But they’re a start.

Regarding the first point of this paragraph, they need to hire a good, full-time technical writer to revamp the manuals and setup/maintain a support article database on the website so owners can access this sort of thing. But many companies put documentation near the bottom of their priority list, I wouldn’t be surprised to find it was the same with nuCamp. 

Do I think they could do a better job? Of course. No one is perfect. Designs could be altered—the plumbing and Alde glycol tank could be made more accessible—or even improved (I’d really like a four season Tab, please and thank you.) And a little better attention to detail in spots would be nice, like this fridge insulation thing. But I do believe that nuCamp is one of the better manufacturers in the market today.

——
    As for the fridge, just checked mine through the vent and the taped end is firmly in place. Lots of tape. Counter still gets warm. I really think a vent fan should be stock on the 2018 and forward, and will be looking into getting one installed over the winter.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • KarrieKKarrieK Member Posts: 3
    So, now that i want to look in the vent to see if the insulation is in place, how do i get the little black screw like things off that are holding it on?  
  • CarlimmenCarlimmen Member Posts: 10
    Turn it 90° like a screw.