Options

What kind of hitch & brakes does the T@B have?

GaiaGoddessGaiaGoddess Member Posts: 21
I am going to be buying a T@B S model (not sure what year but most likely a used one), and so I went to Uhaul today to get a hitch installed and they said they can't even do it until they know what kind of hitch it is, and then he said I need to know if it's a 7 pin or not and if the trailer has electric brakes or not. Not all the ads I see say if they have electric brakes or not, so is it safe to assume some do and some don't? And if the owners manual doesn't even say if the hitch is a 7 pin or not, how is the owner going to know? I have never even heard this term before and I've been researching these trailers for for years now. I wish I had known this was an important factor in getting a hitch installed or I would have asked first and then went to get it put on. 

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    It depends how old you go, but the newer trailers have a 7 pin connection, and electric brakes.  

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Most of the ones I have been interested in have been 2015. I don't even know which years they made the S model (with the wet bath and indoor stove/sink).
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    All the T@Bs require a 7-pin connector, and if you are getting a T@B newer than 2014 it will have electric brakes (they changed to electric sometime in the 2014 model year).  Also, the ball size for the T@B is 2".

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks Cyclonic and HR_Taly! These were the exact answers I was looking for. I did tell the guy the exact model I wanted and that it weighed just under 2000 pounds, he did something on the computer with my vehicle type and came up with the right hitch and all that, the only info he needed was if it's a 7 pin or not, and electric brakes, but now that I know after 2014 they had them, I can call them back and schedule it. I don't think I want anything older than a 2014 anyway. Thanks so much for your information!
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @HR_Taly and @Cyclonic - Great explanations!  
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You will also want to tell them you need a 12 volt connection (with fuse) run from your tow vehicle's battery back to the 7 way connector. This allows you to run your refrigerator on 12v while driving without depleting your T@B battery. 

I THINK that 10 gauge is correct for this, would someone confirm?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Photomom said:
    You will also want to tell them you need a 12 volt connection (with fuse) run from your tow vehicle's battery back to the 7 way connector. This allows you to run your refrigerator on 12v while driving without depleting your T@B battery. 

I THINK that 10 gauge is correct for this, would someone confirm?
    10 g is recommended in all vehicles I've owned to tow. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Yes.  We had 10 gauge for the charge line and it works well to charge the Tab battery and our ARB frig.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio