Options

Coverter/inverter

We were plugged in to campground power and only had the refrigerator on and have a new battery. We were away about 8 hours and returned to find the 30 amp fuse blown and nothing will work, even lites. When we replace the fuse it immediately sparks and blows when inserting it. Even when unplugged and breakers off.
So I am wondering where to start or just assume the ac/dc connverter has a short and replace it.
Thank you.
Pete

Comments

• Options
    1222tmiller1222tmiller Member Posts: 9
    Turn of the battery / disconnect it.  Turn off / unplug everything you can.  replace the fuse.  Then start turning stuff on one at at time.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited July 2017
    I assume you are talking about one of the two 30A fuses that protect the line running between the converter and the battery. (One is at the converter, one is at the battery.) Even if one of those blew, you converter should still be able to run your lights etc. when you are plugged into shore power.

To help diagnose the problem, try completely disconnecting the battery. Plug into to shore power and see if everything works with the battery disconnected.

If your lights and other 12V devices still don't work, it suggests a problem with the converter.

Of course, this assumes that all your other fuses, breakers, and connections are intact, and that you are actually getting power from the campground pedestal. I'm also basing this on a 2015 T@B--older models may be wired differently.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Look at the campground pedestal. Make sure the breaker to the 30A receptacle is flipped on. It is standard practice for many to turn it off before unplugging or plugging in your cable.

It sounds like your battery has been depleted. Very low batteries will spark badly, even car battery batteries when you try to jump them from another vehicle. Disconnect the battery. Check pedestal. Turn everything on. 

Let us know what happens! Keep us updated.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    pcallg1975pcallg1975 Member Posts: 6
    thank you for your comments, will try and post outcomes.
    Pete
  • Options
    pcallg1975pcallg1975 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the responses.
    I unhooked the battery and plugged in the camper.  The red light on the front of the 'American' inverter was on so I assumed there was power; but no lights or fan worked.

I also looked for the battery fuse, inline on the battery, but did not find one. I am still stumped and am thinking of buying a new inverter.  I am still stumped as to the source of the problem.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would pull all of the small 12 volt fuses first. Then replace the 30 amp at the battery if it does not blow start replacing the 12 volt fuses one at a time. This could help determine what is causing the 30amp to blow.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@B 320 has a converter, not an inverter.  If you need to contact your dealer (if under warranty) or the nüCamp factory, please call it a converter, otherwise they will not understand what you are speaking of.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”