Options

Where to go in the west in late October/November?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
It looks like it will be challenging to get my vacation in much before late October, probably more like November, so I will miss the Colorado fall foliage. I am looking for ideas. 2 conditions: 1 - I must go west. I need to see mountains....real mountains. 2: I am OK with having to go and be winterized and seeing snow.  Here are some things I am considering:

- Utah - fall foliage comes later and I could probably get Moab, Capitol Reef, and Zion. If I did this trip, I would still spend a long weekend in Ridgway, because...it's heaven. I would also probably spend some time around Valley of the Gods, outside of Monument Valley.

- Colorado - I love snow, so, if I can camp some place close to snow, it could be awesome. The challenge might be that access to the high country will be closed and there might not be snow in areas that are more accessible. I can easily boondock as long as I can get into a site. My favorite haunts are Twin Lakes/Leadville/Buena Vista, Crested Butte, Ridgway/Telluride. 

- Colorado/Utah hybrid - a little snow, a little fall color in Zion.

- Wyoming - I think Yellowstone's roads are open through mid-November, except for the mountain passes. I would also spend time in the Tetons and hopefully hit the Badlands and maybe TRNP.

I briefly considered skipping camping and the Southwest and contemplated one of those killer deals to Iceland to see the Aurora Borealis, but I need to camp...I need the peace and quiet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Arizona is nice- any of the campgrounds that are in the lower elevations. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    cbarnhill said:
    Arizona is nice- any of the campgrounds that are in the lower elevations. 

Thanks, I was thinking about Northern AZ - southern will just take too much time from a 2 week vacation. There is so much to see along the AZ strip and a fair amount is still accessible.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm pretty sure you also know about Hovenweep (CO/UT border), Natural Bridges (SE Utah), and Navajo National Monument (NE AZ).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I'm pretty sure you also know about Hovenweep (CO/UT border), Natural Bridges (SE Utah), and Navajo National Monument (NE AZ).
    Actually Hovenweep would be a nice part of a Ridgway - Moab based trip. It's not like I have run out of things to see in those areas. :) I would love to see the Dallas Divide covered in snow. 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    You might take in Mesa Verde, Gunnison and Monument Valley.  I'm guessing Bryce Canyon  might be a stretch as it's higher in elevation.  Flagstaff may be snow covered too but you still might be able to get into the south rim of the Grand Canyon and see the Painted Desert.  I get a little nervous in the mountains out that way later in the year as a fast moving snowstorm could leave you stranded and in jeopardy in remote areas.   I was in Trinidad wearing shorts in 75°, sunny skies one day and woke up to an extreme temperature change and was driving in a foot of snow the next day!  That was a scary encounter and we were driving in white out conditions on the way up to Colorado Springs.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    You might take in Mesa Verde, Gunnison and Monument Valley.  I'm guessing Bryce Canyon  might be a stretch as it's higher in elevation.  Flagstaff may be snow covered too but you still might be able to get into the south rim of the Grand Canyon and see the Painted Desert.  I get a little nervous in the mountains out that way later in the year as a fast moving snowstorm could leave you stranded and in jeopardy in remote areas.   I was in Trinidad wearing shorts in 75°, sunny skies one day and woke up to an extreme temperature change and was driving in a foot of snow the next day!  That was a scary encounter and we were driving in white out conditions on the way up to Colorado Springs.

It's my dream to be caught in a blizzard....seriously...but to be prepared. :) Blizzards are rare in Pittsburgh.

I was at Bryce in the winter, not camping, back in 2015. You could easily camp at Kodachrome Basin or somewhere in the Grand Staircase during that time of year. They do get snow in those areas, but still very campable. 

I was thinking about camping near Gunnison for access to Crested Butte. Camping in CB might start to become difficult at that time of year. There is some boondocking near Gunnison. My challenge is finding spots. Most FS CGs in Colorado will be closed. Some still allow you to camp there without services but there is no way to tell which ones. 

I probably won't go back to Monument Valley, I would consider including Mesa Verde with Hovenweep and Valley of the Gods/Natural Bridges NM. I am actually intrigued with the area from Page to Kanab along the AZ/UT border and would also like to spend more time exploring, there.

There are also some areas near St. George that I have wanted to explore that probably too hot most of the year.

The areas from Twin Lakes, CO to Salida (The call it the Banana Belt) seems to not get a lot of snow, so I could probably boondock there and play in the snow up the road in Leadville.

Your caution is well, noted, though, Mike. I would want to build a little more cushion into my schedule in the event that I ran up against snow and had to shelter in place along the way. Besides, I have seen the enormous traffic jams on I-70 from accidents and I am better off waiting it out. 

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We find ourselves contemplating where to go this fall as well.  I think we may go to Yellowstone area in mid to latter September as I think it may offer fall colors along with good wildlife viewing.  We do not much care about cooler temps and there will be a lot fewer people.  The desert southwest is appealing as well but I thought that might be best in April as spring might be better for photos.  John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    edited July 2017
    One thing we ran into was that many campgrounds were closed because of the cold/freeze factor and didn't open until May in some higher elevation locations.  We were west of Walsenburg, CO and it was discouraging to travel, not be able to find even an open campground that was open or at least reasonable, rate wise.  The one place we did find looked like a truck stop and people were huddled in close together on a gravel parking lot so we drove on by the place.  Instead we toughed it out, meandered slowly up to 9K feet at Zapata Falls and spent the night in some howling winds.  It was an adventure but I'd NEVER take the T@B up to that location again as the road was strewn with rocks and was rougher than an old corn cob!  
  • Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    We find ourselves contemplating where to go this fall as well.  I think we may go to Yellowstone area in mid to latter September as I think it may offer fall colors along with good wildlife viewing.  We do not much care about cooler temps and there will be a lot fewer people.  The desert southwest is appealing as well but I thought that might be best in April as spring might be better for photos.  John

I have been to Yellowstone the last week of September. The best fall color would be outside of the park. Coming over the Beartooth Mountains into the NE entrance is nice and also the Tetons, but there is not a lot of fall color in the park, itself. 

I loved the smaller crowds and the elk rut. The bears are on the move during this part of the year. I think I saw at least one, every day.

We had a little snow, just enough to make it interesting.

One thing we ran into was that many campgrounds were closed because of the cold/freeze factor and didn't open until May in some higher elevation locations.  We were west of Walsenburg, CO and it was discouraging to travel, not be able to find even an open campground that was open or at least reasonable, rate wise.  The one place we did find looked like a truck stop and people were huddled in close together on a gravel parking lot so we drove on by the place.  Instead we toughed it out, meandered slowly up to 9K feet at Zapata Falls and spent the night in some howling winds.  It was an adventure but I'd NEVER take the T@B up to that location again as the road was strewn with rocks and was rougher than an old corn cob!  
    I have wondered whether it was worth it to drag the T@b up to the campground in Zapata Falls. Mike there is actually a free CG in the wildlife refuge in the area - free with shore power but no water. There is also boondocking at a nearby BLM site if you are ever that way, again.

Getting to the SW is not a big deal because I can very comfortably overnight at Walmart. Once you hit the front range, overnight parking is limited and you need to find a CG or a spot to boondock. There are a number of Colorado State Parks that are open all year, and the National Monuments and National Parks, except for RMNP and Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado, I believe are all open all year.

Utah State Parks are open and I believe all of the NP CGs except for Bryce are open all year.

The north rim of the Grand Canyon is inaccessible but the south rim seems like it is generally open. 

• Options
    Trust me on Zapata Falls as once you start the trek up it is a bear trying to turn around.  What makes it tough is the terrain, rocks and wash like road conditions.  This isn't your normal road and inasmuch as you probably CAN go up, you will do so at a snails pace as the road is unimproved, extremely rough and for the length of time it will take you to get up the pothole/rock strewn/embedded road you will regret it.  It's tough on the trailer and a high profile vehicle is needed.  Check it out as you will see what I'm talking about and a short walk up the roadway will convince you as it is rough the entire way.  
  • Options
    I appreciate it, Mike. It is a spot I have debated trying out. I will not, now. :)

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I appreciate it, Mike. It is a spot I have debated trying out. I will not, now. :)
    It'd be best to have someone drive you up there in a jeep!   =)
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    It'd be best to have someone drive you up there in a jeep!   =)

I think that means I would enjoy driving up in my Jeep sans T@b. :)

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    @jkjenn, the area just south of Zapata, in NM, is beautiful; Georgia OKeefe country around Abiquiu & Ojo Caliente, both great for hiking, Los Alamos area & Bandelier Nat. Monument w/ their fascinating archaeological (cliff dwellers) sites. I'm pretty sure the season is longer there. Bandelier was open in early March and the Abiquiu C.G. opened in mid March. We saw an overnight snowfall that didn't quite come down to the valley floor.
    We wanted to check out Silver City area, and maybe as far as AZ, but it would have taken two more days of driving. Another time, when we aren't so tied to a schedule. Two weeks is short!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    jcfaber1 said:

John - April in the desert SW can start getting on the warm side so if possible, March is really a great month to visit. Plus if we get a good winter rain, the wildflowers tend to be at peak bloom mid-March.  Michele
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Thanks for the info.  I can easily change to a month sooner!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    ChanW said:
    @jkjenn, the area just south of Zapata, in NM, is beautiful; Georgia OKeefe country around Abiquiu & Ojo Caliente, both great for hiking, Los Alamos area & Bandelier Nat. Monument w/ their fascinating archaeological (cliff dwellers) sites. I'm pretty sure the season is longer there. Bandelier was open in early March and the Abiquiu C.G. opened in mid March. We saw an overnight snowfall that didn't quite come down to the valley floor.
    We wanted to check out Silver City area, and maybe as far as AZ, but it would have taken two more days of driving. Another time, when we aren't so tied to a schedule. Two weeks is short!

Thanks @Chan - I will check it out.

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    Arizona gives you every temperature range you could want from mt lemon near Tucson to Flagstaff, Sedona, and the Grand Canyon. 
  • Options
    moosemamamoosemama Member Posts: 26
    I know you boondock a lot, but f you head into North/east Arizona and need facilities, there is a KOA campground in Flagstaff that is open year round and Fool Hollow Lake (a state campground) in Show Low is also open, although the showers might might be closed.  In between the two, you can have someone take your picture "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" just for the "been there, done that" file.  
    AZ - 2016 T@B-S Outback Silver/silver
  • Options
    Arizona gives you every temperature range you could want from mt lemon near Tucson to Flagstaff, Sedona, and the Grand Canyon. 

Thanks. Tuscon is probably too far away to hit in a 2 week trip but the Arizona Strip is under consideration.

moosemama said:
    I know you boondock a lot, but f you head into North/east Arizona and need facilities, there is a KOA campground in Flagstaff that is open year round and Fool Hollow Lake (a state campground) in Show Low is also open, although the showers might might be closed.  In between the two, you can have someone take your picture "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" just for the "been there, done that" file.  

Thanks. I am definitely not in the been there, done that crowd. :) I am more of a look at that sunset crowd.

I might just point west, keep an eye on the weather and play it by ear. Why do I see my T@b parked in Ridgway?

• Options
    Well, it appears as though I might be able to travel earlier in the fall, due to unforeseeable changes at work. :) I am ready for the Aspens...and with any luck, a little snow. :)

• Options
    WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    @jkjenn Our vote would actually be the last option that most will look over. We did the trip to Iceland in 2015 and it actually sparked our desire to rv camp. There is a few companies in Iceland where you can rent a camper van (Most are Ford Transit Connects converted to camper vans) that have all the amenities of a T@B CS except the bathroom. We used Happy Campers and traveled the Ring Road for 12 days but we did do it in June. We know there are still a few people who still camp out that time of year its just you will be limited to where you can go due to road closings. Iceland was an amazing place to travel to. Everyone was very nice and helpful! The US Dollar to Krona is pretty even (at least when we went) and even though you may hear all the prices are inflated, the only thing we felt was high was the gas which we completely understood. My wife has been slowly working on a trip report from the trip on our website so if you are interested in looking at what you may have as a choice then check it out.  Wandering Around In Wonder

2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    @jkjenn, don't want to hijack your thread but we are actually planning pretty much the same trip except going up to Glacier from Yellowstone & over to Olympic & then down the CA coast & around to Utah.  Month long adventure for us.  We are leaving in late September & heading Northwest to try to beat the road closures.  My question is this.... what do you do about winterizing/de-winterizing on the road?  I have searched the forum & can't find the answer that I'm looking for.  I called Nucamp & left a voice mail & also sent emails but haven't heard anything.  Nights will be in the twenties in some areas.  We are planning on staying in campgrounds with hookups since we are taking my son out of school so he will need to play catch-up on school work & the wife will need to catch up on some work. 
  • Options
    SGH0004 said:
    @jkjenn, don't want to hijack your thread but we are actually planning pretty much the same trip except going up to Glacier from Yellowstone & over to Olympic & then down the CA coast & around to Utah.  Month long adventure for us.  We are leaving in late September & heading Northwest to try to beat the road closures.  My question is this.... what do you do about winterizing/de-winterizing on the road?  I have searched the forum & can't find the answer that I'm looking for.  I called Nucamp & left a voice mail & also sent emails but haven't heard anything.  Nights will be in the twenties in some areas.  We are planning on staying in campgrounds with hookups since we are taking my son out of school so he will need to play catch-up on school work & the wife will need to catch up on some work. 
    If it is not going below 29 and staying that cold for most of the day, I don't winterize. However, my freshwater tank is inside. If traveling on sub-32 degree days, I would probably winterize.

You can pick up a small co.pressor and do terize on the road. Use your water pressure regulator to keep the PSI below 50.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    @jkjenn Our vote would actually be the last option that most will look over. 
    I have had a somewhat exhausting year so I don't think this is the year for Iceland. I can do Colorado with very little planning and I can feel the tension drain from my body the more the mountains fill my windshield.

• Options
    HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    "I briefly considered skipping camping and the Southwest and contemplated one of those killer deals to Iceland to see the Aurora Borealis, but I need to camp...I need the peace and quiet." 

--I went to Iceland to chase the Aurora in February. I LOVED Iceland, but the AB isn't always what you think. I wrote a whole post about it, but I can't include the link here. Let me know if you want the link. Perhaps it may help you with the Iceland part of your decision. :) 

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • Options
    "I briefly considered skipping camping and the Southwest and contemplated one of those killer deals to Iceland to see the Aurora Borealis, but I need to camp...I need the peace and quiet." 

--I went to Iceland to chase the Aurora in February. I LOVED Iceland, but the AB isn't always what you think. I wrote a whole post about it, but I can't include the link here. Let me know if you want the link. Perhaps it may help you with the Iceland part of your decision. :) 
    Thanks, but Iceland isn't on the table or, at the moment. I am already having a hard time not daydreaming about Aspen covered mountainside in peak foliage.

• Options
    T minus 10 days until my next adventure....

The bad news? I sprained my ankle, badly, last week. The good news? It wasn't broken.

The injury means no real hiking, but I am really looking forward to peaceful nights in cold mountain air. 

I have a few T@b jobs to accomplish before I go but last night I worked out a project plan and I should 've able to comfortably complete them without any late nights, assuming I stick to my schedule and don't experience too much scope creep. :)

• Options
    fuzzypinkbunnyfuzzypinkbunny Member Posts: 24
    For future Iceland pondering, there's potential to rent a camper van or RV and camp along the way in Iceland! I saw a lot of this when we visited this year and it seemed like a good way to get around and see a ton. I'm keeping it in mind for our next Iceland trip because we'll go back for sure!
    Live. Travel. Eat. Repeat. 
    2013 Orange & Grey T@B CS-S: Villa Ar@ncia
    Follow my travels on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cookwithkerrydotcom/
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @jkjenn Good grief! We need a category for foot and ankle injuries! Kidding @Verna, just kidding. Please factor ankle babying into your project plan, soft tissue injuries can take longer to heal than fractures. Good luck, have fun and take care!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner