Options

Closing the Opening Behind the Metal Tub on the Outback

Has anyone tried closing the opening behind the metal tub on the Outback? I've removed the battery during a two golf-cart battery modification and am now looking at a lot of space I'd like to use to hold chocks, wooden blocks and the like, maybe even a smaller propane tank to serve as a spare. The space is about 33 1/2 inches by 18 with the opening several inches in from each side of those dimensions.  I've considered buying some netting that I could mount there. Also considered mounting some wire mesh fencing. Expanded metal may be too sophisticated for my not-so-crafty skill set, but I'd consider mounting expanded metal that had been cut to size with a large smooth notch for the propane line. Any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Comments

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    You can get patterned aluminum sheets that works great for this. Cut through holes for the propane hose and battery shut off with a pair of metal shears then taped the sharp edges with vinyl electrical tape. Attached using half dozen or so tek (self tapping) screws. Very happy with the results.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    Lots of choices on Amazon for decorative aluminum sheets. Many are 24x12 inch which works very well. The last couple of inches behind the propane tank is not covered but there is very little lost usage of space there. Good luck!
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Beautiful job, Hymie. If I can find the aluminum, I'll copy your mod. Why is the battery cut off on the patterned aluminum rather than the battery box?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks! That is where NuCamp mounted our switch. I was happy to leave it there as there wasn't a dramatically better place using the Noco battery box.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This seems like a great idea with plenty of ventilation. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Here is another picture of the aluminum mesh from the other side of the tub (had it off to install a sewer hose holder tube - another good mod but more of a medium difficulty project)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My dealer mounted the battery disconnect on the front wall of the T@B too.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Bert, I believe the Dealer installed cut off switches are attached to the front wall of the TaB.  Looks like Hymie cut out the decorative aluminum sheet to allow the knob to come through the new back wall of the tub.  Nice work Hymie.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    This is a shot of the shut-off switch I took on the T@B line at the factory this past week at the nüCamp factory.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @SAM. Thanks!
  • Options
    hymie said:
    Here is another picture of the aluminum mesh from the other side of the tub (had it off to install a sewer hose holder tube - another good mod but more of a medium difficulty project)
    Two questions @hymie
    1). I love where you put the sewer hose storage and I might steel it. Is this just the standard hose carrier or PVC?
    2.) How did you secure your plastic boxes. I would rather not cut into my boxes and I am thinking ratchet straps should work. Am I wrong?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn. It is the Valterra 64". Some adjustments are required to make it work the way we wanted it. Each end has a flat mounting flange made of abs that doubles as an attachment point for the rubber rope attached to the cap. In order to minimize the size of the hole cut through the aluminum tub, I modified the other end of the tube. I cut the flange off with a hacksaw and reshaped the surface back to round with a belt sander (aggressive file would be ok too- I'm lazy... Ahem, energy efficient). I reattached the bit that holds the rope to the cap using abs cement after installation.

The tube is attached in four places (2x on frame, 2x on outback platform) using high density foam "cradles" and tie wraps. Holds a 15ft rhino hose with no mods comfortably.

As to the box attachment - I drilled holes to match the existing platform holes. Cheap box- didn't care. Still looking for a permanent set, may end up making some out of aluminum (busy camping :) - that's a winter project).
  • Options
    Thanks, @hymie!