Options

Cut-Off Switch; Possitive or Negative?

Comments

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Michigan Mike--Do you know whether the factory puts the cut-off switch on the positive lead to the battery or on the negative lead?

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Bert said:
    Michigan Mike--Do you know whether the factory puts the cut-off switch on the positive lead to the battery or on the negative lead?

I'm not certain and as noted before this is a well debated and discussed topic.  I would probably use the ground wire for safety reasons, but it would be fine to use either side IMHO if you are familiar with electrical systems and performing this type of work.  Electrically it does the same thing (isolates the battery) and I've done it both ways and without any issues.  I will ask when I get a chance and see what they say down in Sugarcreek.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Our 2017 came with the cut off switch on the positive.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I've been told that dealers use the positive wire on the cutoff switch. Don't know the pros and cons, but am considering doing it the way dealers do it so it will cause less confusion if it ends up at a dealer.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Bert said:
    I've been told that dealers use the positive wire on the cutoff switch. Don't know the pros and cons, but am considering doing it the way dealers do it so it will cause less confusion if it ends up at a dealer.

From the factory this AM:

Hi Mike,

Great question, we wire the cutoff switch on all the model units & all year units the same. It is disrupting the hot side, positive wire that goes to the junction box isolating it form everything. So when it is in the off position it will not let any voltage be added or given to the battery.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I interpret that to mean the switch must be ON when we plug the trailer into 120v if we want the battery charged, yes?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Yes
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, Michigan Mike. That answers the question for me. I'm cutting the red one!

• Options
    TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

We have a 2015 T@B Max S. I would like to install a battery cut off switch on our camper. This is for Michigan Mike and others who have installed them. Does nucamp sell them or another source? Thanks!

Gary Pasch

Rockford, IL

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you do a search here on the forum, as I recall, Michigan_Mike found a red battery cutoff switch that was a very heavy duty one. I installed one from Amazon, as shown in the attached photo.  Be sure to get a cable that is recommended with the Amazon battery cut off switch. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    This one by Blue Sea Systems is also popular and available from Amazon. It can be surface or flush mounted:

2015 T@B S