Options

West Glacier KOA (Glacier NP)

gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
We had an impromptu run up to Glacier National Park for the weekend.  If you've ever been there in the summer, you know it's crowded and it can be hard to find a campsite.  The West Glacier KOA had spaces open, so off we went.  (The wildfire smoke seems to be scaring people away.)

Holy. Cow.

It was like a Disney television show campground.

First off, it is about 5 min from the West Glacier entrance!   You get stunning mountain views from every site.  And it's quiet.

Our space was large, clean, and beautifully landscaped.   The whole place is beautifully landscaped, with tons of flowers.  The washrooms were always clean and uncrowded, even during prime time.   Staff cleaned  the washrooms and emptied trash throughout the day.  We didn't use the pools, but they were well kept and located, with a separate adult pool.  There was also a large well kept playground,  and many activities to keep everyone else's kids occupied.  There's a small restaurant with breakfast and dinner( burgers), and even lattes if that's your thing.  And an ice cream shop. 

It's not cheap, but no camping or lodging near Glacier is cheap.
2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Thanks for his review @gophergrad! It's on my 'places to get too, hopefully next summer' list. Good to know how it is.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MaeMae Member Posts: 12
    johnsons campground on east side of Glacier is super nice,amazing views.
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @gophergrad- We knew you were there from your T@b sighting post... Our kids were tenting there at the same time.  They went looking for you to say hi, but missed you.  Small world.  They love that KOA for meeting up with Montana relatives.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    We have had very good experiences at Glacier Campground in the very same area just outside the West Glacier NP entrance. 

http://www.glaciercampground.com/

Nice wooded campsites, clean facilities, accommodating-friendly staff. AAA recommended and low rates.

We've stayed there a few times and never had reservations - no problem.

Another option in a beautiful and busy area.

Have Fun!!

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    @2Cougs, sorry we missed your kids. That would have been fun.  
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    I agree on the West Glacier KOA. I didn't take my T@B because I went with my husband; we took our Road Warrior. The West Glacier KOA pretty much knocks all of the other KOAs I've stayed at out of the water. (I've stayed at 10 KOAs this summer already)! 

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ok..this one needs to be on the bucket list!! I've hiked in GNP a long time ago... ok, decades ago. It would be nice to see it again! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MaeMae Member Posts: 12
    We loved Johnson's campground on the east side of Glacier. Beautiful view of Chief MTN. Drive thru sites,trees.

• Options
    RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    If you like to hike, I'd strongly suggest you try the Many Glaciers campground IN the park...on the east side, northern limits.  There are many many stunning hikes that take off right from that campground.  And it's quiet too.  Not as hard to get a campsite in the Park if get there early...or mid-week. We went in August (before the fires completely took off) on our maiden T@B voyage. 
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We spent a week at Cutbank campground in the T@b earlier this month. It's closed for the season now, and RV's aren't recommended, but the T@b will fit in 3 or 4 of the spots.

By far the quietest and most rustic front country camp on the east side of the park. No water, electric, or hookups, so it was a great test of our boondocking capacity.  It did have a very clean composting outhouse, so we didn't have to worry about the black tank. Wife and I got 4 showers each that week with just 3 gallon water addition midweek.  We did a hike off of each main road on the east side, and our camp was very convenient for it.  Almost forgot to add, it was hot that week but good shade was plentiful. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra