Options

Price check on Outbacks, aisle 5, please. Price check on Outbacks.

Hi guys!  I've been lurking for a long time and Mandy's latest Outback videos have got us locked on the new 2018s.  We're ready to try and pull the trigger by Christmas and have settled on the TAB Outback (w/ shower and solar).  We're looking at standard silver and black or white and black colors, so no price upgrade there.  Prices have seemed to have drastically jumped on TABs over the past few years.  I can attribute that to a lot of options becoming standard and the overall popularity so it's understandable.  However, it's really difficult to find out what a "deal" is now.  I've been seeking quotes from dealers in AZ and TX and they are all over the place for a trailer that just has one option for solar selected on it. (Yes I know freight has a big impact)

If anyone would be so kind to let me know what they have paid recently, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm also on the lookout for financing recommendations.  My local dealer seems pretty transparent with their finance options but I'd also be curious if there's a better option out there besides my own bank and what the dealer is recommending.  Out of respect for dealers and general privacy of consumers, you can message me privately if you don't want to post directly here in the thread.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    First, welcome! As you've discovered prices are all over the board. The closer to Sugarcreek Ohio you are the better deal you seem to get. Some dealers negotiate, others don't. Because we couldn't travel far for a rig we paid more than if we had hopped a plane to Ohio, rented a truck and towed one home. The flip side is we have an established relationship with the local dealer. Prices also depend on add ons, which we did. Basically you need to figure out your tolerance for where to buy and how much you're willing to pay and go from there. You've actually figured out the hard part...what to buy. As for financing we got a good deal through our credit union, including another .5% off for having accounts there and setting up autopay. Our insurance agent was another call, and we are happy with all we've arranged. Good luck! They are amazing trailers!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Slip7Slip7 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the input.  I didn't consider going outside of AZ or TX (my parents live in AZ so we'd likely kill two birds with one stone on that trip).  I wonder if you can opt to pick one up right at Sugarcreek.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You would still need a dealer as nüCamp cannot bypass their dealers. Check with your dealer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    @Slip7 I searched for some time before I purchased my T@B and I would definitely recommend looking at Princess Craft outside of Austin.  I found them to be much more reasonable than dealers in Dallas or Houston.  
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    If you can pick it up at the dealer, who does the walk through?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited August 2017
    @Slip7, You're getting some really good advise so far. Finding a reasonable dealer that is also reliable for repairs/warranty work is a huge plus. We use the same dealer as @Homebodyatheart, and I had also used them for repairs on a tent trailer I owned previously before our T@B. As far as financing, we found credit unions to give better interest rates than banks, but still check around. In some cases, you can write off the interest on your taxes using the T@B as a "second" home. Another thing to check in to.  Shipping seems to be the factor that is "all over the place". Folks in your area (Texas/Arizona) can help steer you in a good direction, and give you better advise on dealers with their feedback. In any case, do your homework, and ask a lot of questions on things you're not sure about. 'Ya came to the right place for some great feedback! Welcome aboard!
    @SAM, Our dealer did the walk through for us. Advise on this one: make a list of questions, and make them show you how everything works,and don't let them "rush" you through it. I think @Homebodyatheart video taped their walk through. Excellent idea!
    Almost forgot one real important thing: When you get your trailer, fill out ALL the warranty cards for your appliances, (Alde, refrigerator, television, stereo, and anything else that has a warranty card) and mail them in, or register them on line. Also make sure you register your trailer with nuCamp as well.  :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I meant, if you pick it up at the factory...
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, Not sure if that is even an option. Thanks for clarifying though. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    In the past, some Tabbers have done so.  Sounds like ( per Verna) it is up to the dealer. But what about the battery, Tub install, etc?  
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I want to mention as far as financing look outside the dealers. I went to a local credit union and got 1.74% for 2 years and that's what helped me make the decision to go for it.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    As far as buying from a distant dealer, don't forget that this is not like buying a car and having a network of 5 or 6 dealers nearby who can do your warranty work. In the unfortunate circumstance that something goes wrong during your one year warranty, can you take time off work to travel hundreds of miles to get warranty service?  We have heard of a few dealers who are relunctant to service what they did not sell. Just something to keep in mind. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys.  So the warranty is through the dealer and not NuCamp?  That seems foreign to me that an authorized NuCamp dealer would not honor warranty work but that is the car paradigm I'm using.  

@foxden , thanks for recommending Princess Craft, it looks like they have a favorable reputation in the community.  I'll ask them the warranty question.
  • Options
    Yes, nüCamp warranties their campers, but the dealers seem to prefer to take their customers first, rather than someone who drove a long ways to get the best purchase price.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

Slip7: 

Not too long ago I printed off from this forum a multi page post of "T@B Trailer Walk Through List." It was well done and very comprehensive. Sorry, I do not remember who posted it. I'll search for it and let you know if I find it. Good luck.

Gary, Rockford, IL. 2015 Max-S, Tv- 2016 Toyota 4 Runner.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Tabbieannecamper and @Slip7 I think this is what you're looking for-I saved it in iBooks because I agree with you.
    FishDoctorFishDoctor  Posts: 4Member
    By the way, I thought I would provide a copy of the list we developed for our walk-through with the dealer when we picked up our T@B. Many of the items were gleaned from discussions on this site. I thought other prospective T@bbers might find it useful... 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    This list is excellent.  Also servers as some items I can look for when I go and visit the dealer lot next weekend.  
    Two questions then.  

One of the dealers who gave me a quote told me they have end of summer sales and he would be giving me his sale price in my quote since it's close enough.  Unfortunately his quote didn't match what my local dealer could do despite the fact that he's closer to PV.  So, is there such a thing as "best time of year" to try and get a sale? 

I did some searching and saw there are a few RV shows coming up in my region that are within reasonable driving distance.  I went to an RV show a couple years ago with a friend who bought a 40K travel trailer for something like 28K.  I'm sure the price was MSRP.  I'm aware that a lot of RV MSRP are as high as 20% off what you'll actually haggle for.  What I'd like an opinion on is "RV Show Pricing" really a much better deal and worth the wait?  Has anyone scored big that way?

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    @slip7, this general topic has come a few times in the past (see links below). Most of the angst among prospective buyers seems to stem from a reluctance to make a lowball offer, and a general misunderstanding of "MSRP" as it applies (or more specifically, doesn't apply) to the RV industry.

The impression I've gotten is that there are a lot of variables, and no good way to predict how they will affect the bottom line. As the consumer holding the cash, the onus is on you to shop carefully and negotiate firmly. Good luck!

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2448/what-is-a-fair-offer-for-a-new-t-b-at-a-dealer/p1

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3597/pricing

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3975/msrp

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Also, yes, end of season sales and end of model year sales to clear dealer inventory should see lower pricing.