Solar and generator

Hi, 
Is it okay to run solar panels while plugged in to a generator or shore power? I have 100 w solar panel to charge the battery, and I have access to a small amount of power off of a generator behind my booth where we are vending (supposed to use only 5 amps) and I am trying to run my AC, and was thinking I could be plugged in and using the solar panel and that way I would draw less power from the generator? Does that sound right? 

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I can't definitively answer your question, but it sounds similar to what was discussed in the thread below--you would effectively be running two chargers on your battery at the same time.

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5414/battery-charging-which-is-faster-onboard-built-in-charger-or-separate-battery-charger#latest

My guess (and that's really all it is...) is that the input from the onboard charger in the converter would make the battery "look" full to the solar controller. In turn the solar controller would step down or turn off the charge to the battery. In short, while it might not hurt anything, there's probably little to gain by deploying panels when you are already plugged into a 120V AC power source. 

2015 T@B S
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Your AC is 120vac and has nothing to do with the battery, solar panel or any part of the 12v system.  It is very likely your AC will draw more than 5 amps plus the additional power the converter is using for battery charging.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Yeah, what rfuss928 said!

I apparently overlooked the part of your question where you mentioned using the air conditioner (the A/C, which only runs on AC...) and being limited to 5 amps.

If you disconnect the battery all together, and avoid running any other devices, you'll minimize your amperage draw. The Frigidaire A/C that come with my 2015 is rated at 4.8 amps, but that probably spikes briefly when the compressor kicks in. 
    2015 T@B S