Options

Engine Temps

TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
I was wondering what kind of engine temps you see on your tow vehicle. Three things:

1) average engine temp
2) highest engine temp you have seen
3) tow vehicle and T@B or T@G

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make this into a discussion about what tow vehicles are suitable. I am interested in putting together a sampling of the range of temps we see with a trailer like the T@B.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    Dunno. I have an analog temp gauge, but it has no scale. I suspect that's true for lots of T/Vs so you won't get a true cross-section of responses.

Interesting question, though.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No digital display. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    Your engine (water) temperature should sit stable at the same temperature after warm up regardless of the load or outside temperature.  Usually near 190 degrees Fahrenheit.  If you see different results you either have a defective thermostat/fan control or you are operating well outside the design limits of the system and risking serious engine damage.

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    I have a vehicle that is rated to tow approximately twice the weight of the T@b I pull.  On a warm day, with the AC running, and the transmission in third gear, I see the analog temperature gauge read a little higher than when unloaded, in fourth gear. 

I don't have hard numbers available, sorry.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    2005 jeep wrangler unlimited with 4,0 L I6 with 6 speed manual, and no difference in water temp while towing my Outback T@G.  I do not have the long hills of the rockies, but still some that are a few miles long with up to 2500 feet vertical.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    Our 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 has an average temp not under tow on flat hwy 65 mph 208 to 212 degrees. Under tow with the Tab Outback 60 mph flat no headwind 218 to 225. Under tow climbing the pass going east Butte MT 90 degrees outside engine oil temp peaked at 235. 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We have an analog gauge (2013 6cyl Highlander) and the gauge stays right in the center whether we're towing or not and whether it's 45F or 97F outside (those being the extremes we've camped in). Hope that helps.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    In my '06 V6 Rav4, the analog engine temp gauge that went up to 212 going uphill in the Shenandoah mts (3500' elevations, so not very high) - never towed in overdrive. Too bad it didn't have a transmission temp sensor.

My '15 GMC truck has a digital gauge for both engine and transmission temps. I checked it out and it seems it isn't just a "guestimate" by an iffy sensor. Too bad I don't tow the T@B anymore. The temps I'll experience with a trailer double the weight won't help you. Sorry.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    That's pretty interesting stuff. I found that with my turbo forester my temps really ramped-up when I tried to go much over 60mph.  I guess I will be taking it easy in the right lane. My typical temps were about 210 and my high temp was 235 (when I tried to pass someone at 70mph). Without towing I see anywhere from 200 to 210 depending on the temperatures and speed. 
  • Options
    These gadgets are very good form monitoring your car's vital signs.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/ 
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I've got a ScanGauge in my t.v, they rock!  You can code them to read many different temperatures or sensors (depending on vehicle model).

The highest I've seen is 232f, and that's where my vehicle's analog gauge begins to move away from the middle line.  This was from climbing a 6% grade at 60mph for 10 minutes, when I was towing with my Jetta TDI.

(My analog gauge stays in the middle from 162-232f, oddly enough)

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I pull with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport.  I have a Scan Gauge II I connected which gives me the water and trans temps.  Water stays around 195.  It has climbed to 203 climbing a desert mountain in the AZ desert at 108 degrees outside.  Trans temp stays around 194 as long as I keep in in S4.  It wants to downshift if the hill is steep and then the trans temp will go up.  It will return to 194 once it gets back to S4.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max