Options

Air Compressor / Jump Start Combo?

I think I'm going to add a small air compressor (for tires) and a battery jump start gizmo to the camping supplies.  Do you folks recommend a combined unit? Or separate? Any specific ones?  Being an IT nerd, I understand the battery business better than I do the air business :-)
2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    If I recall, better to get a separate unit.  The reviews for the combined units reported underpowered function for the compressor.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I love the 5 in 1 I picked up at Harbor Freight. Also comes as a 4 in 1. Compressor worked fine for me and the battery holds a great charge. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Sears has a good one....saved us more than once

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    BillReddingBillRedding Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2017
    I agree with SAM: Get separate items.

My air compressor is a Viair 450P (100% duty-cycle) and my "jump-starter" is a Sears "DieHard Platinum Portable Power 1150" -- but one of their OLDER 1150 versions (from around 2009 or so). The 1150's compressor's cheaply-made locking connector (that goes on the tire's valve stem) broke so it made the compressor useless. But really, all those small compressors aren't very good anyway, and most have a very short duty-cycle suitable only for small tires and beach toys -- not good for continuous use or filling large tires anytime soon.

I MAY get one of those new-technology (and small!) lithium-ion jump-starters, but would need to know more about them -- if they really ARE as amazing as they are advertised to be!

-- BR

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    We have the Viair 00073 70p 100 psi compressor.  Available now on Amazon Prime for $30.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I have a Viair 300P.  It has served me very well.  I bought it to air up the tires on my 4x4, after airing down for off roading.  You can likely go for a slightly lighter duty model, depending on your intended usage.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2017
    I carry a small lithium charger on the motorcycle - it has 8x full vehicle charges and can also charge phones and ipods (comes with cables). It has a light built in.

I have Slime compressors (one that attaches to the motorcycle power pigtail and one with 12V connector for truck). I don't trust their gauges for the bike. Because the majority of single bike accidents are due to under inflated tires, I have a fabulous round gauge.

But, the OP asked about the combo setups. See if they make lithium battery combo units. A long time ago (has it already been a decade?) the combo units had good compressors, but the batteries left much to be desired. In the end, you had a great compressor (with a decent gauge) that could double as a wheel chock. Let me know what you settle on. I really need something for the truck that could be used on the camper as a stand alone compressor (no cord). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a 12V Slime compressor for the truck and T@B, costing around $50 from Walmart. (Don't get the smaller and less expensive one because it only goes up to 24 psi.). It's easy to use it for winterizing, too. Open the front window, put the 12V plug in the 12V receptacle above the sink and it reaches the water inlet and both tires from there. 

Yes @Ratkity, a liti would be nice, but I have not seen one. Hopefully the Slime will last for a long while as my last portable 12V compressor did. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Alas, BR, I can wish. I hadn't looked at combo systems in a long time. I have a 14g extension 12V to reach back tires on the camper. Putting air into the motorcycle is easier with the extension cord or I'd have to start the bike in neutral to get enough juice to air the tires. Bike batteries aren't known for their massive power output! lol. I love my calibrated air pressure gauge. A few pounds makes a difference for bike tires. Not so much with the camper and the truck (although, in the long run, it will on the tire wear).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for all the input.  I'm leaning towards 2 devices, as the combo ones don't seem to perform either function that well.  Gotta be pretty self sufficient, most of the places we go don't have cell coverage.
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    $300 for an air compressor. No thanks! I'll keep my 5 in 1. It hasn't failed me yet and doubt it will. I'll use the $200 for something else. :)
  • Options

There's a huge price difference between the 300P and 450P. The 300P looks like a good value. I might be inclined to shift strategies.

• Options
    Thanks @BillRedding and @boo!!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503

I'm having a hard time understanding why I would need a $150 compressor if I'm just using it top off my tires and maybe blow the air out of my plumbing when winterizing. It seems excessive.
    I had an all-in-one and it worked fine for me. Sure, it took a little while to air up the tires, but what's the hurry? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab