Options

What accessory/item do you regret buying?

13»

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @BrianZ I use mine at all full hook up sites and love how it helps the flow (and I prefer full hook ups). I don't use it at dump stations. Is it critical? No.

I just bought a BAL leveler, but after trying it out in my garage today, it's going back. I'll stick with my Lynx levelers/chocks.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    I have an aluminum version that is not as long, but does the job.  I have used it and it is nice and sturdy.  @BrianZ, what do you mean it won't fit?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2019
    Well, so far we've only stayed at campgrounds with dump stations and no sewer at the campsite, though I can see where it might be useful there if your stay is long.  Why would a sidewinder be required on concrete?  When I first did a test fit of the device, it was too tall to fit under the hose at the connection to the T@B.  We use a clear elbow between hose & T@B, so that already brings it to ground level, and the hose has always drained fine, though we always flush it with plenty of extra water.  The ground has always been level to slightly downhill, but usually we've been at VA state parks that all seem to be designed pretty much the same.  Never seen any need or requirement for a "donut" either.  We use another elbow with universal fittings at the sewer end that works well to make a closed system; or maybe some consider that a donut?
    Here's what we use..

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I still say our generator.  I haven't used it to this day...  We had one opportunity and that was at the Rally.  I was about to pull it out, when our neighbor Verna, gave me such a glare....  Then my wife pointed out that we had a power pole.... 
      Perhaps if this situation remains unchanged by this years actions, I see a Tab by the fireplace without it... (opps, that is sorta from "Christmas Carol".  I will bring it to the Swap...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @BrianZ the gal who taught me how to dump my tanks suggested I remove the Rhino end that goes down the sewer hole. I’ve done that, just put some hose straight down, and haven’t regretted it yet. I keep it with me in case I ever have to have it, but life’s easier now! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Brian, we connect the hose directly to the Tab outlet and use the same “donut” you have.  No problems with our hose support.  
    I have heard of other campgrounds that require a larger, heavier donut to better seal the sewer hole and prevent gases from leaking.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I also have a sewer related item I regret purchasing.  A universal sewer adapter. 

The guy at the RV place said I needed one.  But, I never used it.  I never camp with a sewer hookup on my site, and probably never will.  At the off-campsite dump stations, the fewer sewer components I have to store and handle, the better.

I ended up selling the part on Kijiji to get a few bucks back.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Here is the sewer donut I’m speaking of:

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It seems to me that requiring a rubber donut for an airtight connection, while maybe an ideal method for preventing gas escape, would be rather ridiculous to require of everyone.  At all the campgrounds I've visited, the dump hole typically has a rather ill-fitting metal cap that is nowhere close to airtight when not in use, which is most of the time.  Sorry, but if I ever encountered that, I would never return.

• Options
    @BrianZ, an RV park that requires the donut, requires it at your full service campsite, not the dump station. And, the RV parks charge more for their supply of donuts than the above vendor charges for theirs. And you do not get sprinkles with it either ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    😄 Ok, that I can understand & thanks for clarifying.  Did you ever see a campground with full hookups that did not also have a dump station?  We never stay anywhere for more than a few days, and would probably just use the dump station if given a choice.
  • Options
    Yes, there are RV parks without dump stations. After boondocking for a few days, I stopped at an RV park in AZ and they charged me $10 sent me to an empty campsite with full hookups to dump. In a pinch, it was OK. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited August 2018
    Donut..blah! I stayed at a site that used an ill fitting rock as as lid for the full hook up sewer connection!! I think if I stayed at a campsite for more then 3 days, I might consider one of the sewer “ramps.” They are handy for clearing “debris” & liquids from the hose after a dump of our little tanks. Not keen on the idea of all that stuff laying in the hose until the next flush...but alas, 2 days, dump at station , then move on.... that’s usual.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @4ncar, I have one of the ramps, but have yet to use it. The first box that came from Camping World wasn't sealed and neither was the 2nd one. Together it made a full ramp. I'll let you know how it works, although I rarely use full hookups. I wanted to use it when I'm really close to the dump station, but not close enough for my short hose. Will report back. 

The ramp does appear fairly cheaply made, btw. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    BrianZ said:
    😄 Ok, that I can understand & thanks for clarifying.  Did you ever see a campground with full hookups that did not also have a dump station?  We never stay anywhere for more than a few days, and would probably just use the dump station if given a choice.
    Yes, I know Fort Wilderness at Disney does not have a dump station. They have two loops of campsites for tents, popups, camper vans and small campers without sewer. They direct those that want to dump to an empty full hookup campsite.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    rkj__ said:
    Well, I'm just going to say I am glad I did not invest a lot of money into an expensive solar setup, as I am finding there is a lot of shade in the forest, which severely handicaps any solar setups output.   I prefer to camp in the forest whenever possible.  

I don't regret buying my panel though, because it cost me very little.   
    I bought an extension cord from Zamp for my portable solar panel and can now chase the sun around the campsite!
     2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    BrianZ said:
    Well, technically, full hook ups are thre service.

then you have two service, water and electricity.

and you have the water only, mostly tent or small trailer that do not want electricity.

2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited November 2018
    And if you come up north to the province of Quebec, you now have a provincial designation for "Village relais". That will ofer free dumping at a municipal work garage.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    BrianZ said:

The "Sidewinder" was one of those things we thought we might need when buying accessories before we even picked up our T@B, but we have never needed it, ever.  Actually, it's not even possible to use it due to the short distance from the pipe outlet to the ground - it won't even fit.
    Pardon the pun, but it's nothing but a big "waste" of money for a T@B, unless you want to flush some money down the drain.
    I use my Sidewinder all the time in RV parks with sewer as mine is a direct freshwater drain and it helps the water flow to the hole without me constantly "helping" it
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Luckyj said:
    BrianZ said:
    Well, technically, full hook ups are thre service.

then you have two service, water and electricity.

and you have the water only, mostly tent or small trailer that do not want electricity.

There are also parks that are electric only at the site. The water fill is central station only, and then dump station near the exit.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2018
    When we picked up the new 400 I purchased a new sewer hose as the dealer chimed in as to the durability of the hose and that it would out-perform the Rhino hoses.  So I'm thinking that this was my cure all, no accidents, long term reliability, etc. and life is good!  So I plopped down the $40+ for the new hose and drive back to Michigan.  As it turns out, this hose will not fit into the storage tube and now resides as a back up in the propane compartment.  Had I known, I never would have picked it up but at least I now have a back up or spare hose for my trailer in Arizona.  

Live and learn!   :s
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    @Mouseketab I stayed in a KOA this summer
     with the same set up. The problem was that when it was time for me to leave the sites with sewer were still occupied! I had to haul it home...
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Mouseketab I stayed in a KOA this summer
     with the same set up. The problem was that when it was time for me to leave the sites with sewer were still occupied! I had to haul it home...
    Since I have no blackwater, when I stay without sewer I use a small 5 gallon grey water tank and dump it in a toilet at a bath house. But ugh, I would hate to have to haul it home. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL