Options

What accessory/item do you regret buying?

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    the outdoor shower. Have never used it. Money down the drain. Anderson leveler. As a solo camper, could never get the hang of it. Ditto golf lessons.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    I would have to say that our awning is the accessory we regret the most or like the least. We live and camp out West. Typical daytime temperatures are high 80's and up. The awning is great to have when it's raining but it doesn't allow air to circulate very well so it really traps the heat. We spend more time under our Easy-Up Canopy than the awning. It's still a great product but if we had to choose again we'd probably go with the Visor. 
    Patrick
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited August 2017
    db_cooper said:
    Finn12 said: I'll
    Two things for me.  First, I removed the T@G style 2-way frig in the back of my 2017 CS-S before the first trip. Too much of an energy hog for my small Group 24 battery.  I invested in a Yeti cooler instead.  Much more practical for this weekend camper.   I use the extra space for dry food storage.   Second, I bought a Weber Q1200 grill.   Great grill but takes up a lot of room in my tow vehicle and you gotta carry extra propane tanks.   I find I can cook everything on stove or over the fire so far.   I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to setup.
    Same here with the Weber Q, took up too much room and unless you cover it, it can smell up your TV. Would be better if your TV is a truck.  It's now become our home grill hooked to a regular propane tank, love the way it cooks and there's only 2 of us.
    The Q is awkwardly shaped, but it does come in a smaller version (BabyQ/Q100/Q1000). I agree with point about the truck--my Q100 fits nicely in the bed tucked between two bicycles.

The Q does drink a lot of propane, but I bought an adapter that allows me to hook it permanently to the T@B's tank while in camp.

Not arguing with you, just offering alternatives to those following the thread. I'm a minimalist, too, but wouldn't give up my Q!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PSBreen said:
    I would have to say that our awning is the accessory we regret the most or like the least. We live and camp out West. Typical daytime temperatures are high 80's and up. The awning is great to have when it's raining but it doesn't allow air to circulate very well so it really traps the heat. We spend more time under our Easy-Up Canopy than the awning. It's still a great product but if we had to choose again we'd probably go with the Visor. 
    I've wondered how the awning works for those of you that camp in the west. For us north-easterners, rain is almost guaranteed on every trip. I think I consider the awning my #1 must have accessory.

On the flip side, when it's not raining being outdoors is usually pretty pleasant!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Yep. I think it just emphasizes that everyone's needs are different, and every camping situation is different. There are no quick clear answers, even from as insightful a group as this forum!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    This summer has been quite different in that I am Camp Hosting every other month. I'm really enjoying it, except that it seems that I have to keep the camping "stuff" in the rear of the truck all the time (especially since the other Camp Host quit--no, I don't know why except it is a long time from April to October, and I'm now picking up his four weeks).  So, while I still need some items that are used infrequently, I'm still trying to find different ways to pack this extra stuff that is rarely used but is needed. 

To those who aren't packing the stair step holders for your sewer hoses, some campground demands that no sewer hose contact the ground or concrete. No exceptions. I had to stay in an RV park for a week in AZ as it got in the 90's and Sunny Day needed the A/C while I was running errands, and the rules stated no sewer hoses on the ground or concrete. Another small campground insisted that a "donut" be used for the sewer hose entrance. I had to ask what one was. I now carry one. 

So, Action Packers are too big, the sewer bags from Camping World aren't good enough to withstand being moved many times across my truck bed...I'm looking for (I think) two larger dry sacks for kayaking/canoeing for my fresh water and my sewer accessories.  I think they will be small enough to be shoved into tight spots in the truck and waterproof to keep any liquid inside. 

Other than needing to buy these new containers, I think I'm carrying the bare necessities. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited August 2017
    :rofl:, @TerryV6, Sounds to me like SOMEBODY slept through math class! ;) Guess at this point, a do-over is absolutely out of the question, huh? :s
    Interesting conversation, and every time one of this type comes up, I'm always amazed at how many alternatives are discussed to "fit" individuals needs. Like many have already mentioned, our "list" of gear varies from situation to situation, depending on the length of our stay to whether or not water & electrical hook-ups are available. Still in the process of "weeding" out the things that "Do we EVER use this." fall under. Welcome to :murica:!!!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna said:
    This summer has been quite different in that I am Camp Hosting every other month. I'm really enjoying it, except that it seems that I have to keep the camping "stuff" in the rear of the truck all the time (especially since the other Camp Host quit--no, I don't know why except it is a long time from April to October, and I'm now picking up his four weeks).  So, while I still need some items that are used infrequently, I'm still trying to find different ways to pack this extra stuff that is rarely used but is needed. 

To those who aren't packing the stair step holders for your sewer hoses, some campground demands that no sewer hose contact the ground or concrete. No exceptions. I had to stay in an RV park for a week in AZ as it got in the 90's and Sunny Day needed the A/C while I was running errands, and the rules stated no sewer hoses on the ground or concrete. Another small campground insisted that a "donut" be used for the sewer hose entrance. I had to ask what one was. I now carry one. 

So, Action Packers are too big, the sewer bags from Camping World aren't good enough to withstand being moved many times across my truck bed...I'm looking for (I think) two larger dry sacks for kayaking/canoeing for my fresh water and my sewer accessories.  I think they will be small enough to be shoved into tight spots in the truck and waterproof to keep any liquid inside. 

Other than needing to buy these new containers, I think I'm carrying the bare necessities. 
    Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar. Maybe I just need another storage spot for mine.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I don't regret buying my honda generator, only for the fact that I've used it while at home. But I have yet to use the 5 gallon extended tank that goes with it. I regret that purchase. Just taking up space in my camping/cat room.

I recently found a use for a 3-legged camp chair, but would've listed that one as a regrettable purchase. There are many chairs I wish I hadn't bought as well. Even a zero-gravity chair. There's a rocker version of it that I wish I had, but they are heavy and hard to put in a spontaneous campfire circle. The chairs I'm using now are GCI (REI brand?) and are foldable to tiny and don't hurt my back. No side table though, which I hate.

Memory foam mattress. I camp in cooler weather and keep the heat on minimal. That mattress is like a board, then I feel hot underneath and cool on top. I found a nice home for it.

Sorta regret... Single mantle Coleman anniversary lantern (not the black good one). It's a work horse, but I don't want to carry mantles, repair kit, or white gas with me all the time. I love using the lantern at home when the power goes out. My neighbors usually call me and ask how I got my power restored so quickly. hehe. It's just the lantern.

My current TV. I should've gone with full-sized truck. Oh well.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    sherm2954sherm2954 Member Posts: 38
    TerryV6 said:
    Our house is indeed a democracy, but my vote only counts for one.  You'd think after 44 years I'd be wise to this stuff.  In the case of our birthdays, we agreed that from your birthdate, every day after, you would continue to be treated as if it is your birthday.  This ends when her birthday comes, and it is the same till it is my day again.  I thought this was a great idea and I agreed.  My birthday is April 30th, hers is May 19th.  Is there something I'm not seeing here?  She insists everything is even Steven....
    You married an evil genius! My wife and I are almost exactly 6 months apart. I'm not interested in the pressure of "every day is your birthday". 

Great thread, btw.
  • Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    Ratkity said:
     camping/cat room.

Funny how just this phrase caught my attention. The cat has to share a room with the camping gear?
    Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    @lightningdon yes, he isn't suffering. His beds are on top of the plastic bins. If things are not tastefully arranged, he'll oblige and do it for me! LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Leeh22Leeh22 Member Posts: 30
    Our Pahaque rear tent for our Clamshell Sofitel.   We ordered it beginning of April for a trip in early June.   We had to fight with them to get it in time and when we did it didn't fit.   The bottom where it attaches to the inside lip of the hatch was ten inches too long.   The keder rail was eight inches too long.   The sides didn't come anywhere near enclosing the edges.   They agreed it was the wrong size.   Actually accidentally sent us an internal e-mail complaining to there own staff about ours being one of multiiple screw ups that week.   They promised to get us a new one asap.  That was late May.   We still don't have it and now they say we can't get the color we ordered before our next trip.  They wanted us to take one with blue trim.  That would look great since all of our other accessories are red to match our tow vehicle.   I notice they are now selling tents for the 400.   Didn't seem to have any trouble turning those out.  Couldn't be more disappointed in this company.   Wish I'd never ordered it.
  • Options
    @Leeh22, Have you tried contacting them recently? Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with Pahaque. I know several folks here on the forum have had issues that were expediently resolved. Kind of curious why you folks are having such difficulty getting your issue resolved. Anyone here have any ideas how these folks could get their issue resolved??? A little help here, please. :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Yes, we have contacted them frequently, including several times in the last couple of weeks as we are leaving soon on an extended trip to Montana for my birthday, I'm not saying but it's a big one ;-}.   Having grown up there I know what the mosquitos are like this time of year and not looking forward to that battle without protection.   It took about 40 binder clips to come close to holding the thing together this summer,  (they told us to go ahead and use it until the new one came}.   Doesn't stand up to any weather that way!.  We were willing to be patient but this is just ridiculous.   Any idea that I had of adding the the side tent is long gone.   I just don't get this company.  And these tents are very expensive, I'd expect more.   They also changed the design but the video on line still shows how to put up the enclosure with the old design that include an additional pole.   They actually sent the pole though there was no place to put it.   We thought we were losing our minds the first time we tried to put the thing up.   What scares me now is that of a few minutes ago they said they would get it made and send it to us.   I think for that to work they would have to make it today?   Given our other issues I'm not feeling really confident about a rush job.
  • Options
    pittchristinepittchristine Member Posts: 30
    @driftless Please post another photo of your finished product!  I'm sure it is beautiful! ;)
    Chris and Rick, 2017 T@B Max S with 2010 Ford Escape TV
  • Options
    Can't say as I blame you for your frustration at all. HOPEFULLY you will be able to obtain a good resolution to the issue. One would THINK they've had ample time to resolve your problem. We're hoping you the best for your birthday trip despite the issues you're having. Good luck, and make the best of your trip despite everything else.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Verna, ;) Thanks once again for stepping in/up for one of the "family"!!!!!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I think V has that pocket watch thingie from Harry Potter that turns back time. That way, she gets some sleep and then does all the stuff she finds time to do!! <3
  • Options
    Thanks all, and not to worry.  One thing we have learned in retirement is to have fun no matter what happens.  And our T@B has been a big part of that!  @Verna, happy to hear that Pahaque treats you right.  I know you have frequently gone the extra mile to help folks out here and it is very much appreciated.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Since I camp in a nearly stock version of the T@B Max S, I have not purchased much or made many improvements.  The Lagun table doesn't get used much; frankly, a bed tray would work just as well for my needs.  Things I use all the time:  Awning - a must have for me, the Visor XL, the Zamp 120W, and the T@B cover.  And the sofabed twin foam mattress that is set up constantly.  The ARB fridge/freezer was used once when my DH traveled with me.  The small stock Norcold is fine my needs when traveling solo, which is most the time.  Fortunately, the ARB came in handy for work.  It's a beautiful unit.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The things I bought, but have since quit using is a Zodi Hot Water machine. Mine is an older T@B with only cold water, but after I bought that, someone showed me they had installed an InSinkErator Instant Hot Water. I now have that installed in my T@B and the Zodi was relegated to the attic, then later sold. The other thing I've bought, but has never been used is a small portable charcoal grill. I bought it thinking hubby would camp with me more often and we might need it for grilling when campground grills were questionable. Hubby rarely camps with me, and when he does, we usually have friends with larger RVs and larger propane grills in their storage bays. I don't grill. I'm a crockpot cooker. I too have a small set of nesting pots and pans, and rarely use them. But they are small and don't take up much weight or room, so they stay in the camper. This is minor, but I dislike carrying keys when camping, so I bought one of those real estate lock boxes thinking I could lock it on one of the T@B handles then keep the T@B keys in there. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. I just keep one T@B key on a biner clip on my belt loop.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    We have been very conservative about what we have purchased for the T@B and camping.  The only item I haven’t use yet is a propane grill.  Malibu RV Resort would not let me use my charcoal grill.  Given our drought and their fear of grassland fires we had to borrow a propane grill.  When we got home I purchased one and haven’t used it yet.  Charcoal has been fine as the drought has ended.  We do love the XL Visor, the million dollar Cabela ice chest ( I can see an ARB in our future ) and the Coleman easy up with Bug screens.  The device I bought to back flush the tanks I love and it works great!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Pressure cooker.  We actually bought for use on our cruising sailboat.  "All cruisers use one".  It saves on propane by cooking much quicker.  It actually does, but we're not pot food people.  Our normal meal is a piece of quality grilled meat and grilled fresh veggies.  Pressure cooker was used to store food stuffs in the cabinet.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    One of those portapotty/shower teepee tents. We used it once as a shower, but my wife doesn't like it because there is no place to change. I found a two "room" version on Wal-Mart .com She said she would be happier with that one, but I haven't ordered it yet.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I used my overly expensive pressure cooker the most on passages.  It never would spill anything and the hot stew on a long night watch was very welcome.  Haven't tried it in the tab.  Don't have as much room as the boat did, and there are McDonald's along the way for T@b passages!
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2019

The "Sidewinder" was one of those things we thought we might need when buying accessories before we even picked up our T@B, but we have never needed it, ever.  Actually, it's not even possible to use it due to the short distance from the pipe outlet to the ground - it won't even fit.
    Pardon the pun, but it's nothing but a big "waste" of money for a T@B, unless you want to flush some money down the drain.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Should the day come, @BrianZ, that you stay in an RV Park, the Sidewinder is required to keep the hose off of the concrete. I was glad I had mine with me, along with the “donut” (required also) that keeps odors in the sewer hole. I just reserve a small corner in the truck bed for the sidewinder. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”