Options

New Tab S Owners in TX

GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123

Hi All,

Yesterday, we finalized the purchase of a new 2017 Tab-S Max Outback...sight unseen. That's right, we've only seen photos on the dealer's website because it is out of state. It's going to be delivered locally soon and we can't wait to see it! We're both like a couple of kids at Christmas! It's a little overwhelming to think of all the things we need to put in it for our first outing. We're not going to camp in our driveway because we live in the city and wouldn't feel secure enough, but there are campgrounds fairly close and we'll plan our test trip as soon as we know when we're going to get it. We'll be pulling it with our 2014 Grand Caravan. I've been reading posts here for several days and feel like we've already learned a lot! This is our first RV, but my parents had a 20 ft. travel trailer when I was a teen, so I'm not brand new to this, and we had a 22 ft boat for awhile, so we're not new to pulling. We will be weekend RV'ers (and an occasional vacation) until we both retire and are looking forward to exploring the state parks in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Gail and John from Texas

Gail & John 

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome! The fun begins (or simply continues)! You're ahead of the game with some camping and towing experience. We didn't driveway camp for the same reason, but did a trial run 30 miles from home. Definitely worth the effort. Post photos and tell us stories as you go along!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 910
    How exciting!  Welcome to the f@mily!  Do keep us posted.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome aboard!! Much happy camping is ahead of you.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Welcome & go have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I did the same thing.  Stepped into a T@B for the first time when I went in to pick it up.  I was not disappointed!  Much fun ahead.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

Welcome to the teardrop group. Lots of fun and many happy travels.

2015 Max S  - 2016 Toyota 4-runner

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Very exciting welcome aboard.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Congratulations and welcome.  Best wishes for much happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    Yes congrats!
    Yep, we bought ours 'sight unseen' too, although we had momentarily visited one at another dealer's lot - but he was too busy to spend time with us
    We called Little Guy and asked Joe where his next red Tab Maxx S was going to be delivered in 'the northeast'. We drove six hours and bought from a great dealer in VT.
    Crazy, impulsive buy, I suppose. We were 'grief shopping', after the loss of some loved ones that year. 
    Never regretted it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW  Driving 6 hours for your red T@B Maxx S is dedication! I went waaaaay out of my way to get my last 3 campers. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity  I think you really really really need to have a T@b too..... even if it's just to take to rallies....it's in your blood...you know it is. You've forgotten more about the T@b than most of us will ever learn.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    @dsatwork, wait, wait.. huh? I feel like I just missed sum'thin'. :lol: I confess, I'm still a dedicated T@B lover and am drawn to the 400 like a moth to a... hot foot! :lol: ow ow ow.. tell Harvey to quit playing with my toe! :)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Ratkity Have nüCamp build you a heavy duty frame with a hitch for the big bike and tow it behind the 400. Surely that's doable. And resign yourself to no off roading or backing up
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @Ratkity what's a 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop? We had a 5Wide, is it different than that?
  • Options
    @dsatwork, it was a 5 wide as well. It was sloped in the front and had a rear door. Both sides had windows. It was a fabbo teardrop. My 85W glass solar panel fit perfectly on the slope. LG even made the roof reinforced to put an RV A/C on top of it (never did - fantastic fan was amazing).  It weighed 900 lbs and had a 90# tongue weight (until I put the toolbox on).

The simplicity of it was fantastic. The walls were fabric/carpet and velcro was king! It also was great quality carpet because it didn't fray when I un-attached my remote from it, or my folding cupholder held with velcro, or my itty bitty fire extinguisher, or bear spray...

Great memories around it, especially of both my Golden Retrievers cuddled up with me on that queen sized bed. There was a 6' wide version, but that extra foot of room still wouldn't have deterred either dog from sleeping in a cuddle puddle with me on the bed mattress. :)
  • Options
    @GailandJohn, be safe with this storm! I know you are in the north, but still thinking of you both. 
  • Options
    @Ratkity we loved our 5 wide and I set it up with a 100ah AGM in the compartment under the kitchen along with a 2000 watt inverter wired to a 110 plug in the kitchen. We loved it but ultimately we were taking so much stuff with us, (just ask anyone who helped pack us up at Tabazona)  it made more sense to just have a T@b with inside kitchen and shower. But I do miss how easy it was to to pull that queen size bed on wheels.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! We're picking it up in 4 days. Can hardly wait!

Gail & John 

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    @GailandJohn, be safe with this storm! I know you are in the north, but still thinking of you both. 

Thanks, you are very kind! They are predicting that we will see very little from the hurricane other than some clouds and a small shower here or there. We are praying for the folks in Harvey's path, as he appears to be very very dangerous, with some areas possibly getting 3+ feet of rain!

Gail & John 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Welcome @GailandJohn, and congratulations! It does feel like waiting for Christmas when you almost have your T@b, only better. Sounds like you've got a good plan for your maiden voyage. Two things that have helped me a lot are to first, carry a small note pad and pen, stick it in a cupboard or somewhere it won't wander off, and everytime you think of something you wish you had brought, or done differently write it down. You will forget whatever it was by the time you get home, unhitch, and stowed away. Promise! Second good thing I learned here is to have an Amazon wish list going. When you see a good idea on the forum or FB put it on your wish list on Amazon. You don't have to ever order it, but you won't have to remember where you read it later on either! Also, a Prime account will save money if you do plan to order, at least your first year. I think mine paid for itself very quickly. Have fun on your new journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
  • Options
    We picked it up last Tuesday and were not disappointed. It was as we expected. We've been busy making our list and shopping in order to get ready for our one night maiden voyage to a nearby lake next weekend. We're continuing to read this forum and other sites in order to learn as much as possible in advance, but I'm sure we will discover things that we didn't think of, and will take something to make a list, as suggested.

Gail & John 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Very nice setup! Have fun with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Is that a Honda or Toyota minivan?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Neither, it's a Dodge Grand Caravan.

Gail & John