Options

Side Tent Condensation

We made a big mistake on our recent T@b outing and left both windows and the front door of the side tent open. A thunderstorm soaked the inside of the tent, but missed much of my friend's sleeping bag. He survived the night but commented on the condensation inside the tent. This wasn't a problem the only other time we used the tent, but was awful that night. If the windows are open, condensation probably won't be a problem, but if it's raining, the windows probably can't be open. How have others dealt with this problem?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Curious, where were you camping?  Humid?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    Condensation normally isn't an issue unless you are in a very rainy, hot and humid environment.  If the screen room did take in water from a rain event, wasn't wiped dry fully, aired out and allowed to dry fully it would still have moisture captured within it, feel humid and form condensation.  You might try using a battery powered fan (Ryobi has a nice fan!) or similar item, lower the side skirt on the screen room some and see if you can circulate air and get it moving should it still be raining outside.  Air flow and circulating it around inside the side tent will help reduce condensation and will also help keep things dry.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The one time I used my tent I didn't have any condensation, but then, I wasn't using it as a room addition where someone slept. Just having friends over on a rainy muggy day to visit made it a wonderful addition and space to have. I didn't think about using the side tent as another sleeping room, even though many people have it for kids and pets and other misc folks :)

All tents experience condensation if someone is sleeping in it. One way manufacturers have dealt with sleeping condensation is to make the entire top of the tent screen and then put a "rain fly" closely over the screen roof. 

I think Mike_M's suggestion is a great one. If you are boondocking, use a battery operated fan(s). If you have power, bring a cheap box window fan that moves a lot of air and position it under the skirting. Unzipping the door a little shouldn't let rain in, if I recall the setup correctly. If it's not too muggy or hot, a small ceramic heater placed on something stable can help dry out the inside of a wet tent in addition to the fan. 

The 2015 models had outlets conveniently outside to plug in a fan. If you weren't fortunate to have the outdoor 110V outlets and you are on shore power, sometimes there are 20A outlets in the power pedestal where an extension cord would be handy to have and run under the skirting to a fan.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Harkening back to my days of cold weather backpacking...condensation can also be created when the temperature is measurably lower outside of a tightly sealed tent, whilst you slumber inside generating moisture from your breath or a pot of brew... as  Ratkity has said, venting at the top can reduce if not eliminate this...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    gbhaneygbhaney Member Posts: 19
    We camped in north-central PA in mid-August with our two 50-lb. dogs, whose crates we put in the side tent for sleeping. Usually we leave all the window and door flaps open so cool are can come in through the screens. Because an overnight storm was forecast one of the nights, we had to close the side tent up altogether. It was warm out there, maybe more so someone has suggested because the new 3-way fridge vents into the tent, not out the camper's front. Heavy rain over night, but no water and no condensation inside. To reduce the sag in the tent top which we thought might allow pooled water to drip in, my husband stretched out and tied two of the extra strings from the top of the tent front to a nearby tree. I think it did the trick!
    2021 T@B 400 BD.  Silver with black. TV: 2020 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

• Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Thanks. We were camped along the Henry's Fork of the Snake River when we had the condensation. Humidity wasn't a concern, but we couldn't dry out the wet tent after arriving in the early evening.