Anybody tried texting with WiFi Calling?

So this is a very non-Tab question, but pertinent to travel and I know we have some very tech savy people here on the forum.  We are preparing for an international trip and I am exploring all our options with our iPhone.  We have a limited international plan with AT&T and will have a lot of access to WiFi.  I know our iPhone will allow WiFi Calling and texting, but it is unclear if there is an additional fee outside of an international phone plan.  Anyone with experience with this system?
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    My sis is on a river cruise in Slovenia right now. They have free wifi while onboard, and she purchased an international plan for 1 month which has unlimited texting and reduced pricing on calls. Don't know the cost.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• StevieStevie Member Posts: 36
    I'm pretty sure we incurred no extra fee for iMessage or FaceTime over wifi in Germany. We did pay, I think, about $40 for one month of unlimited texting on our phone plan with AT&T as a backup. 
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've heard of people purchasing a cheap phone with minutes that could be used to call internationally. At one point, it was cheaper than adding to your plan temporarily. I think since that time, things have changed dramatically and things are much more flexible with the availability of wi-fi! Good thing you are checking all this out before you leave. While you are at it, take a picture of your id and passport... just in case (but don't lose your phone!).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Use a texting app that relies on free wi-fi connections such as: https://www.whatsapp.com/
    As long as the people you want to contact have the same app, you can text them from anywhere there is wi-fi.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    So, my husband has an ATT International Passport plan that allows SMS texting that uses a tiny bit of data and WhatsApp that requires the receiving party to have the app, too.  I do not have an international plan.  The WiFi Calling is phone and service provider specific.  I know if you don't have an international plan WiFi Calling results in a pay per use charge, I just can't get a straight answer from ATT if I can SMS via WiFi without an additional charge.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    With the Apple devices there is always the question are you texting, phone plan related, or sending an Imessage (and Facetime) which goes over the the internet.  The first requires cell phone connection only.  The second requires local WIFI or internet cell based data service.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner