Options

Towing with a Class I hitch and a Camaro?

Hi everyone,

My gf and I are getting married in October and we've decided to do a road trip from So Cal all the way up to Yellowstone for our honeymoon. She's always loved small camper trailers and we've gone ahead and rented one for the trip. From what the trailer's owner told us, the trailer weighs 1700 lbs so I figure I should be good to go with the Class I hitch I got from etrailers. It's rated for 2000 lbs. My TV is a 2010 Camaro SS. I already have friends telling me I'm crazy for even putting a hitch on it but the way I figure it, it's just a car and we are for sure not towing it with her scion xb.  

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Camaro/2010/24850.html?vehicleid=2010301961

Her dad offered us his Silverado but that truck has over 320k miles on it so that's a concern.

So what do you guys think? Do I need to trade in my car? Or is this doable?

Thanks,
Heavy

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    As long as you don't over load the trailer. Carry as much as possible in the car. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HeavyArms117HeavyArms117 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for replying Dale,

I already got a roof rack and a cargo box to help with the extra storage. 
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    You will need to subtract any xtra weight you add to the car from the max towing weight. Also, do you have the year and model of the trailer. If the owner is using the sales brochure for the weight, it will be a bit light.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    I agree with your friends....  You can certainly get anything rolling down the road and across a flat surface but all bets are off when it rains, a deer pops out in front of you, someone decides to jump between you and the guy in front of you to get off or you're traveling down a steep grade.  I'd take the 320K truck before I'd ever tow one of these trailers with a Camaro, irregardless of what you place in your vehicle.  Keep in mind too that the tow weight includes passengers, gear AND the trailer weight.  I wouldn't risk the safety of any family member, let alone my new bride when you are considering skirting a rated tow weight, not to mention your transmission and brakes which were designed specifically for the vehicle.  I've seen many mangled trailers and debris scattered along the highway and until you've actually driven something rated for a load and experienced "push" when you try to stop and the load continues to push you down the road you'll get my drift.  

I've owned 4 of the smaller teardrop trailers and have been through a couple of transmissions too (thought I could do what you're doing with a Monte Carlo) over the last 7-8 years and have towed well over 50K miles across the US, Canada and up to Alaska and back.  And think about what you'll do if a tire blows either on the car or trailer at 65-70 mph on the interstate in heavy traffic some weekend and you are cruising along with your new wife and it all begins to fish tail.   You are also going to feel wind moving you around via semis passing you and from Mother Nature so pack extra underwear as you'll need them.  

Life's too short, take the high road, do the right thing and tow with a vehicle that is better suited for and rated for the load to be towed.   Don't put you and your new wife at risk by cutting corners....  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    My quick Google search leads me to believe the Camaro SS is rated for 1,000 lb trailer weight, and 100 lb (10%) tongue weight.

So, despite having lots of power, and strong brakes, your car's chassis is not designed for towing. 

Can you?  With the hitch claiming to be rated for 2,000 lb, you probably could.  Your rear suspension would likely sag very low, as the tongue weight may be closer to 170 lb, depending on the configuration of the trailer, and how it is loaded. 

Should you?  I won't recommend it.  Most (all?) states have laws requiring trailer brakes for trailers over 1,500 lb.  In addition to buying and installing a hitch, you would also need a brake controller to activate the T@b's electric brakes.  Also, if you are involved in an accident, towing loads beyond your vehicle's ratings, there could be penalties / charges for that as well. 

I'd probably vote for the high mileage Silverado in your scenario.  If you are worried about it, instead of investing in a Camaro trailer hitch, invest in getting a mechanic to inspect the Silverado for possible issues and concerns. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    Your lives and those on the road depend on towing responsibly. The numbers do not add up with the car. Take the truck.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I'll throw out one more possibility: Rent both the T@B & a similar tow vehicle to what your fiance's father had offered up. I'd STRONGLY lean on the side of safety first!!! I'm with @Michigan_Mike on this one, listen to your friends, they obviously care about you & and trying to give you some sound advise!!!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Rkj alluded to a valid detail and good point above.  If something did happen and you got into an accident your car insurer could void your auto owners policy because you were towing with a vehicle not rated for the load.  Check with your insurer or read the fine print as it's probably written in their somewhere.  And agree, if you put a T@B on the back end of that Camaro you are going to see the rear end sink down with the added tongue weight and your front traction, stability and handling are going to be adversely affected.  

I watched a guy pulling a travel trailer up US-23 in Michigan with a small SUV when I was driving home from the nüCamp rally in July.  He was all over the road and the trailer was swaying heavily from right to left.  He had to slow down to a crawl as he was having trouble controlling it.  It was really scary and I got by him and put him in my rear view mirror.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I know you wanted to do this in a small trailer, but have you considered renting a Class B or C motorhome?  That way, you have the vehicle suited for the weight of the camper.  There are all kinds of companies that rent them for use out west.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto to others...take the Silverado!q

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I'm new to tabs but have been towing box trailers for years.  The liability post accident(if survived) far out weighs any Pretrip expense. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish... beyond the possibility of raising the nose of the car to a point of instability, you may sag the rear to the point of dragging your muffler(s), etc...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Just remember that whatever is put on the Internet stays on the Internet. This post will show your insurance company your question and the advice given to you.  It is wise to take the advice given and leave the Camero at home. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited August 2017
    Verna said:
    Just remember that whatever is put on the Internet stays on the Internet. This post will show your insurance company your question and the advice given to you.  It is wise to take the advice given and leave the Camero at home. 
    Oh, if that's true, I'm in trouble!!!! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @4ncar You're in good company!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    We have a member on this forum who has been towing his T@B for about 4 Years now with an early 2000 Corvette. He just completed a 3 week tour of the US about 6000 miles I think. I would guess the Camero is better suited for towing than the Corvette. For one thing I would guess its heavier. Any comments Paul or Trish.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    We have a member on this forum who has been towing his T@B for about 4 Years now with an early 2000 Corvette. He just completed a 3 week tour of the US about 6000 miles I think. I would guess the Camero is better suited for towing than the Corvette. For one thing I would guess its heavier. Any comments Paul or Trish.
    I may be wrong, but I thought i saw a Facebook post saying their class 1 hitch broke apart pulling the Tab.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Is a class I hitch a 1" receiver or just the ol' ball on the bumper mount? I should look it up. The max a class I can pull is 1000#. For safety reasons, it's best not to pull more than 2/3 or 3/4 the max total weight.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jason330i said:
    I may be wrong, but I thought i saw a Facebook post saying their class 1 hitch broke apart pulling the Tab.
    True but apparently that was resolved before his last trip. I would have a  reputable hitch installer mount a class 2 hitch.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have a confession.... as a naive undergrad in the mid-80's, I put on a class II hitch that fit my V6 '74 Mustang II and pulled a totally packed to-the-gills dual axle 12' UHaul trailer from the mountains in Boone, NC to central FL. That mustang rarely drove with all 6 cylinders running lol. It always started though. Tough little thing with "character".

I guess sometimes fools, drunks and naive students are protected by angels... and sometimes the entire choir!

I have no idea how I did it. No sway, no overheating, no AC working, sunroof open, no rain, straight through no-stopping drive. *blinkblink* What was I thinking?? I'm not sure how I survived childhood, no less survived all the stupid things I did after, yet here I am!! Yer stuck wif me! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity, Just keep drinkin' outa' the garden hose, you'll be fine! :rofl:
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2017
    Don't forget that the approach to Yellowstone is long and steep.  West Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs are at 6,700', Old Faithful around 7,500'.  We're not talking just pulling on a straight and level....  And  you have to go back down, so you'll want a brake controller...
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    HeavyArms117HeavyArms117 Member Posts: 7
    I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in. Lots of good info. I'm going to look into what would be involved installing a Class II hitch. I've seen other guys do it on the Camaro forums but I'm pretty sure it was a custom solution and not something sold off the shelf.

I've already shown this thread to my fiance so she knows what our situation is. I'm not opposed to taking my father-in-law's truck and that might still be the route we go if I can't find a reputable hitch installer in my area.

Dale I've seen some pictures of Corvette guys towing boats with their corvettes so it doesn't surprise me a bit that someone would tow a camper trailer with it. It would be cool to get that person's opinion on the matter.

Thanks again everyone

• Options
    @HeavyArms117, Kinda following up on @gophergrad's comment on the inclines, and descents, a brake controller would definitely be on my list of "must haves". After having to change rear brake shoes from heat cracking on my '72 1/2 ton pick-up towing a tent trailer ( 200#s lighter than the T@B, and no trailer brakes) down steep grades, I can tell you the "push" you'll experience on downgrades is a LOT more than you would expect. Just be safe out there. The LAST thing you want to experience on your trip is a bad experience.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Doesn't a class 1 hitch have a smaller connection and ball? You need a 2" ball on the hitch to tow a Tab I believe. I'm with the rest, safety first! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    I am not sure anyone is saying you can't tow with this combination, but the question is all things considered, "Should you" take the risk? Answer is no.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2017

The Camaro is only designed to accept a Class I hitch (1-1/4") for "light-duty" towing and accessories like a bike rack.
    You need a Class II hitch (2") for a T@B and a vehicle approved for that class or higher. 

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I have a friend who won't let his kids play football because of the risk of Traumatic Brain Injury.  He didn't think riding without a helmet was a big deal until I 'splained the risk of TBI from a bike accident is higher than playing football. 

http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net/move-over-football-cycling-is-the-biggest-cause-of-sports-related-tbi/

Now they all wear helmets.

And, more stats than you want to know about cycling deaths and helmet use.

http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi