Options

Fires in the PNW

Comments

• Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    We are planning a trip in 2 weeks to Glacier & over to Seattle/Olympic.  Please keep posts coming.  Praying for rain for several reasons but may need to re-route if fires not under control.  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SGH0004, Just checked the 10 day forecast & it appears that we will FINALLY be getting some rain starting on Monday, and throughout the rest of the week. From the radar readings, and the forecast, it looks to be covering pretty much the whole Northwest region. Badly needed for the firefighters & air quality as well. Smoke started pouring back in yesterday. Travel safe & have fun. Get your Alde cranked up, looks like it might get a bit chilly at night.  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,498
    @SGH0004 you might want to check in with the rangers at Glacier before you head out. They've had quite a bit of damage from fires this summer. I hope it does work out for you!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    @SGH0004 -- We're having some fire-season-ending snows and etc here.  Looks like the fire evacuations for the West Glacier / Apgar area are removed.  I think there are still some restrictions around the Lake McDonald Lodge.

HOWEVER -- The Sun Road has been closed from McDonald Lodge to Logan Pass due to fire  AND Friday it was closed from the east side due to snow and ice.  So.... You should NOT expect to be able to drive through the park on the Sun Road.  You should probably not expect that anyway due to tow restrictions on the Sun Road.  Pretty sure even the T@B is not legal.  You'll have to detour around the southern side of the park.

ALSO -- if you were considering a quick trip up to Waterton Lakes Park in Canada, cross that off. It's closed.  Pretty much the entire park (except most of the townsite and the Prince of Wales Hotel) burned a week or so ago.

Go to this link to get evac / road closure info https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    We escaped the terrible air quality in Spokane 2 weeks ago and followed the air quality maps to the coast.  Finally we have some rain.  Maybe we can breathe again. 
  • Options
    RAIN, actual, measurable RAIN!!!!!!!!!! It felt so good last night when it started, I couldn't resist standing in it for a few minutes! :) Hope this is helping firefighters on the West Coast battle what has been a very long fight for them. I know some of the fires have been raging for MONTHS.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @drpprmt, Smart move avoiding the air quality from 2 weeks ago. It was horrible here. Hasn't been good quality since, and was still at the unhealthy range yesterday. This morning was the first time I've been able to go outside without my eyes starting to burn within 5 minutes in WEEKS.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 912
    80 days with NO measurable precipitation!  Glad that is over!!!  I'm with you @ericnliz... nothing like fresh rainfall!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    More rain today & more coming for the next few days. I'm NOT complaining about it at all, my trees need the water badly. Cool temps this week ( higher 60's), next week, back to the 70's. Typical September/October weather. Really hope this is going to help with the fire situation. Poor firefighters have been at it for most of the summer, starting for the most part, the latter part of June.
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I'm with you all, for the firefighters' sake, the rain is a "windfall". For the "wet side of the mountains", well let's just say I'm trying to package up the sense of relief from the heat and smoke feeling so I can drag it out every so often for the next 5 months of gray rainy weather and remember it. Cherish it even. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @Twojgrams, If 'ya start gettin' too wet over there on the West side, you're always welcome to come visit the dryer, cooler side of the mountains! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    LOL! @ericnliz, I have gone to visit a dear friend in the Bend area to kill the moss growing on our truck with a dose of sun and heat, true story. It's easier to clean after you kill the stuff. Thanks for the invite, we really want to make one of your breakfast events someday and dry out at the same time.

• Options
    @Twojgrams during the many years I lived in Seattle, family in SoCal would ask how I tolerated all the rain. I told them my naturally curly hair loves the rain, and that after a few years living there I had moss growing on the north side of my knees! That left them wondering!  =) We always love more breakfast company if you can make it over!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
     :) 

• Options
    @Twojgrams, I had to laugh about the moss growing!! :rofl: I lived in the Tacoma area after getting out of the Army at Ft. Lewis. I lasted just shy of two years before I missed the true 4 seasons, nice hot summers & snow. I have 3 children, 3 grand children, a brother, and 2 nieces that live over there. I try to combine the visits so as to get back over here where the traffic isn't insane, and my feet don't start growing webs! B)=)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Oh, boy.!!! :o:s Just gotta be careful what 'ya wish for these days! Just got a BOOMING round of thunder, lightning...and yep, HAIL!!! Poor Wolf T@B is out in that stuff!! Gonna go do some damage/inspection control here in a few minutes after it calms down a little. Started out in that stuff, but it smarted REALLY good, so came back in to minimize the damage to myself. Didn't hurt too bad...EXCEPT for the part of my head that gravity moved my hair out of the way!!! That part left a mark! :o:s
    Watch out @2Cougs & @Dalehelman, it's headed YOUR way! @Homebodyatheart, unless you're at work on the BLVD., you shouldn't get hit too bad. But Stay inside until it passes over! With the wind & the hail, it WILL leave a mark, I know!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz I was safely tucked inside at an appointment, but they had the same deluge, hail, and a brief power outage at home. If this keeps up the moss might grow back on the north side of my knees! Got those blueprints handy for an ark? Oh wait...I bet L@dybug might float!
  • Options
    @Homebodyatheart, Ha! Let me know when you get done with the "I bet L@dybug might float!" experiment. Can I come watch? :rofl::o:s
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Where's that T@B boat pict that was floating around here? (photoshopped, but pretty good!). :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @ericnliz, I'm sorry, I think I put it in the wrong thread. I was wondering how the wolfT@B handled the hail. Hope all was well.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity a T@da owner in the path of Hurricane Harvey had their rig float across the yard, and also had a vintage trailer that flat out disappeared! They live by a lake, and think it might be at the bottom, but the T@da is ok.

@ericnliz, if I ever get so stupid to try a float test, you'll be one of the first to know. After all... I just need to put it where you plan to put your screen room with water features! :rofl:

...And life goes on...  :)
  • Options
    Those winds don't help the fires at all and my FWS friends hate them because they can change the fire direction in a heartbeat. Scares the bejebuses out me!! I'm glad there was some rain in the storms. Still thinking of all of you with poor air quality because of those fires. Take care! <3
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    @gophergrad we are planning to leave in a week on our trip. Am I wasting my time going to Glacier? Going to the Sun road was my highlight. We were planning on going to Seattle & over to Olympic from Glacier. & yes, I was planning on going to Watertown as well. May take a Ferry to Victoria, B.C. Instead. Thanks for the heads up & updates on the fires & thank goodness they are getting under control.
  • Options
    @SGH0004 have you called the park yet? They, or one of the offices in Montana should have current info. Good luck!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Has the smoke dissipated any out in the west?  We did get some spectacular orange moons here in Michigan and could see the smoky haze on the horizon here.   At any rate I hope that things are getting better out there.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Has the smoke dissipated any out in the west?

Yes!

Smoke map:
    https://haze.airfire.org/airtools/v1/pnw-smoke.html?lat=47.3&lng=-119.5&zoom=6
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, thankfully YES! We are on our third day of abnormally cool temps and rain. I'm sure it is a huge help to dousing fires. We broke the 1917 record for longest dry spell without measurable rain with 80 days no rain here. It is supposed to warm up a bit for next weekend, which is goodbecause I've got one more camoing trip planned locally with my gal friends to finish off the season, although I hope to sneak a few two nighters in to October. Thanks for checking!
  • Options
    The sky is BLUE here today!  (OK, there are clouds, but I can see blue!)

@SGH0004 We LOVE Glacier in October.  It's really beautiful.  We're probably taking a day trip up again this year.  We'll probably hit the east side because it's been less affected by fire.

You will have to take the T@B around the south end of the park, because you can't pull it on the Sun Road.  You are likely to be able to drive the Sun Road to Logan Pass from one side of the park or the other, and possibly across.  Conditions change really quickly.  The evac orders are still in place around Lake McDonald Lodge, I think, but they may lift soon.  The fire is definitely still burning and will be for months, just more under control.

As for Waterton, I believe it is opening up BUT nearly everything is closed.  The park burned border-to-border except for the Townsite and the Prince of Wales Hotel.  They are still assessing damage, clearing roads, etc.  Plus the Chief Mountain border station was closed and I don't know when it is re-opening.

Banff was unaffected by fires this year, so that might be a good detour. 

Here's the link for Glacier: https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
    Here's the Waterton link:  http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/waterton/
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, First of all, welcome back! 
    The smoke has dissipated to the point we're now out of the hazardous range into the healthy range, thank goodness. I can now go outside without my eyes starting to burn within 5 minutes of exposure to the smoke laden skies. A good visual scenario for you...My house is white with a brick colored trim. The first day of rain with a fairly stiff wind (20-25 mph), you could see the gray streaks flowing down the side of the house from the smoke accumulation. Same scenario with my 6' white surrounding fence. I washed the T@B 4 days ago, and the gray water flow coming off of it was unbelievable. I couldn't believe how much ash build-up there was. As @Homebodyatheart has said, the long, hot, record breaking dry streak was pretty miserable with all the smoke & ash. I'm very thankful for all the rain in the fact that it is definitely helping the firefighters to get some of these fires at least under control. Tomorrow however, I'm hoping it subsides long enough for us to get the 2 tons of pellets I have ordered unloaded & stacked in our breezeway!! Either way, I'm sure we'll figure it out & we're still thankful for the relief the rain has brought to us! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @SGH0004 Here is the latest from Glacier.