Options

Weatherproof Electric Connection

On a recent trip, the only way for me to reach the electric provided at the campsite was to connect an extension cord to the campsite's electric and then connect the other end to the trailer's 30-amp cable using a converter plug. The electric worked fine like this. However, this means that the connection point between the extension cord and the 30-amp cable is laying in the open. How do you protect this connection point from possible weather-related moisture issues? I ended up laying it on a kneeling pad and wrapping the whole thing in a tarp with a brick on top to weight it down. Is there a weatherproof connection cover that anyone could recommend?
Downers Grove, IL
2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A gallon Ziplock bag is what I have used at the Campground I am Camp Hosting at. I stuck the connection inside, zipped the bag as far as it would go, added a tie to the bag,  and stuck a twig in the ground to keep the bottom of the bag upright. It worked for that torrential downpour.  

I have to use my 25' 30 amp cord plus a 25' 30 amp extension cord every weekend. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    FishDoctorFishDoctor Member Posts: 59
    Thanks @Verna. I was thinking a simple solution like that might work fine.
    Downers Grove, IL
    2017 T@B S Max, Blue and Silver -- "The Blueb@rry"
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I have seen that you can take a lidded bucket, cut out an area to fit the cord on both sides of the rim opposite of each other, lay the connection suspended between the 2 cut outs and attach the lid.  Maybe I can find a picture.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2017
    Check this out.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    That is a great idea. Could also be a food storage container.
    I think you want to leave the lid off though so no rain gathers inside.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I like your system @Verna! Simple, lightweight, and compact.
    I'll be discarding my fancy plastic maple syrup jug with the slot cut in.
    Simplify simplify...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited September 2017
    I have had my connections out in the rain without buckets or covers or bags. I just hang the outdoor extension cord down and it's usually partially covered by the battery or propane boxes. There's a waterproof rating on the cord connections (not sure about the adaptors). Qualification - this is when my camper is in the driveway.

Still good a great idea with the bucket when camping! I have found campgrounds that have electric pedestals where my surge protector and 30A camper plug is on the ground. The bucket lifts them up. I'll need to research this and see if I have something I can sacrifice around the house before buying something.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)