Options

What is the proper torque spec for the lug nuts on the 400?

atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
Ok Gang, I know that at some point I saw one of our members has experience in the Tire business.  In my search for the proper torque for the 400 lug nuts, I have down loaded the manual from Dexter, the maker of our axles, and just talked with Brenda at Lionshead.  They are the supplier of the wheels and tires for the 400.  Dexter says the 1/2 inch studs torque to between 100 and 120 ft lbs.  Brenda sent a sheet saying they torque from 90 to 120 ft lbs.  So, what do you tire experts say?  My 2016 Nissan Frontier with alloy wheels factory spec is for 98 ft lbs, so that is in the range.  What do you Think?
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Aluminum alloy wheel specs for lug nut torque usually fall between 80 to 120 ft.lbs of torque. For the 400 wheels, I would suspect 100 ft. lbs would suffice nicely. Remember if you are torquing for the first time, it is best to torque, run the wheels until they're warm, and re-torque to allow for the heat expansion of the wheels.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks Eric,  I am comfortable with the 100 ft lbs. I usually do all my wheel changing and torquing.  Getting tired of the dealer using the impact and cross threading the nuts. 
  • Options
    @atlasb, Pretty sure if I saw someone hitting the lug nuts on ANY of MY rigs with an impact wrench, I'd probably beat 'em with it. Sad part of using impact wrenches is that a lot of the people using them don't even take the time to start the lugs at LEAST three full turns on the studs...hence the cross-threading disaster. Like you, I hand tighten mine, then torque to specs....as it should be. Just have to thank the "old school guys" that taught me the right way to do things, not the "fast, easy" way!! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    I had that question and called the axle/tire supplier for the 400.  The person I talked to recommended 120 foot pounds.  I have been torquing to that figure.    Even at 120 foot pounds my lugs have needed re torquing at least once.
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @ericnliz, I had someone use a compressor impact wrench when replacing all 4 tires (retreads.. this was the 70s) on my VW bug. I had a lady beeping and beeping at me... wha?!!! She said my tire was falling off. ACK!!!! None of the lugs were tightened at all! I waved to her as I pulled off before I totally lost the wheel, tightened all the wheels, went back to the shop and told the owner (who used a torque wrench to check them - I was good with a crossbar), and sent me home. I think the kid who put the tires on got a tongue-lashing.

The Dexter Axles (3500# each) on my rig have a torque range of 90-120 - seems universal. The T@B's 1500# Dexter had the same rating. There's a warning not to go over 120, so I keep it a bit lower. I have a breaker bar to help get the lugs off. I'm tempted to get a long pipe too! A pipe can have several uses, ya know :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Hvtymwiltravel, Thanks for sharing the manufactures info! You'll find re-torquing a "maintenance" item periodically, especially after a longer trip where the wheels heat up & cool off several times over the course of your journey. 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @Ratkity, Yup, use that pipe to beat the kid with the air wrench!!! Thanks for the additional axle info! I kinda thought that 120# was a bit much myself, but I'm NOT the guy that built, or engineered the axles either. The warning not to exceed 120 Ft. Lbs., I find interesting though. 120 Ft. Lbs. is a LOT of torque on a wheel stud. Try gettin' those suckers off without a breaker bar! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    When we got our 2013 320, in the info packet we got a Al Ko packet with all the info on the axle.  The torque, and maintenance info was all there.  The 400 we got did not have the Dexter info.  The info I got on Dexter was from their web page and the Torque spec they list is for the 1/2 inch studs.  The info I got from Brenda at Lions head was also a generic sheet listing for different size studs along with a schematic for torquing the nuts.  Neither were specific values for the wheels.  So, as information is gathered, kinda gonna go at 100 ft lbs for our 400.  Would be nice to get the owners manual for the Dexter with our T@B with the packet.  Would download it from the web, but it is 98 pages long.  found the main pages on how to care for the brakes etc and downloaded them.  A good bit of information on how to lube the bearings .
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @atlasb, yes, you must take into account not only the lug size for the torque rating, but also consider in what order to torque lugs depending on the wheel patterns. My rig has a huge picture next to the tires (no bifocals needed - lol).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Another oldie but a goodie that needs a bump up as a reminder to all our newbie friends. Proper care of our wheels and tires might get over looked in the excitement of being a new T@b owner. 

Can someone with tire/wheel expertise check the above info to see if it still applies to say 2021/2022 models? If it's not the same,  perhaps a new thread would be best.  This is not an area I have knowledge in other than to know it needs to be done/checked throughout the season. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2022
    The OEM and nüCamp factory recommended torque value is 95 ft.lbs. for the Dexter axle on the TaBs.  There are several discussions here about this.  You can get torque rated sockets to go in a impact driver, which prevents the nut from being over torqued down.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    When I did a search on the topic, this thread was the most recent that I found.  
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The others were several, here is a one from 2018:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/87333#Comment_87333
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.