Options

What's up with the Boondock package?

Does anyone know why they changed the name of the Outback Package to Boondock package? I must have missed the memo when they asked if the name of the Outback package should be changed or not.
2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    A nüCamp representative told us today that they changed the name when they learned that the Outback label was trademarked by an RV manufacturer in Elkhart. 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I'd love to see the keystone outback on the roads many forum members have traveled! Even though we stick to pavement, I assure myself we could go gravel with ease, and hairpin turns and over fallen trees and...okay, getting carried away.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    skwhee said:
    A nüCamp representative told us today that they changed the name when they learned that the Outback label was trademarked by an RV manufacturer in Elkhart. 
    Had a feeling it was a trademark issue. Surprised they weren't called on it earlier. I had a skateboard company and sold skateboard bearings with the name Red Bearings Made in China. It only took about a week before I got a letter from Bones lawyer telling me to cease and desist. https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-reds-reg-skateboard-bearings-8-pack

Turns out they had pretty much every version of the name trademarked somehow.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    And here I thought maybe Subaru had a say in this. Boondock sounds more adventurous to me. =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,649
    It will always make me think of Billy Joe Royal..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZTASZKQv8

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I guess that means I have a Subaru Boondock 3.6R and a T@b Boondock.  Guess I waited too long to visit Australia's Outback,   now I'll have to settle for their boondocks.   Hopefully Boondock Steakhouse can still serve their bloomin' onion. :angry:

Reminds me of the times the International Olympic Committee has sent Washington businesses here on the Olympic Peninsula cease and desist orders from having Olympic in their business names.  :angry:
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited September 2017
    skwhee said:
    That seems to be Keystone...Does that mean we have to rebrand our existing trailers? :|
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited September 2017
    @db_cooper, Yep, seems like it gets to be just THAT ridiculous at times! Thanks for pointing out the redundancy of it all! Instead of sayin' I'll meet 'ya out back now, I guess we'll have to say...I'll just BOONDOCK 'ya! :lol:
    (Kinda' like walkin' out of a bar & sayin' "I'll just take my T@B & go now".) :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited September 2017
    Wow, it is surprising that they got away with the Outback name for so long, and only now were forced to change it. 

I'm not really a fan of the new name, as to many RVers, it does not necessarily imply off road capability. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Outback being a registered trademark by Subaru would be reason enough to consider the change.
    It may also help clear up the assumption you should tow an Outback with an Outback. :o 
    If you drive off into the Outback you'll definitely be boondocking. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Little Guy was the marketing expert, seems they would have been on top of that. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Roamey said:
    Little Guy was the marketing expert, seems they would have been on top of that. 
    Yes and they have the "Rough Rider" package.
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Ours will always and forever be an Outback.  

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    Going to get some stickers made up, to slap on every illegally named outback I find.
  • Options
    Hahaha!

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @dsatwork, you don't need to do ours. Done already.   :)
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    @dsatwork, you don't need to do ours. Done already.   :)
    That's it...... PERFECT
  • Options
    I think all the new ones should say...Boondock....formerly know as the Outback Edition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Too funny.  Years ago we traveled to New Zealand and booked a few days in a small town hotel - basically a guest house with a community dining area.  It was originally named the BlackBall Hilton, but a few nasty letters later they renamed it to "Formerly the BlackBall Hilton". Trust me, it did not compare to any Hilton...not even a Holiday Inn.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    For my skateboard company, I ended up buying 10,000 bearings and naming them Tsunami Abec 7 Skateboard Bearings (Set of 8). Then other skateboard sellers started trying knock mine off.
  • Options
    It would make more since if the two campers were even close In design. Totally different.  

• Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    They could have changed it to b@ckro@d.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2017
    B@ckRo@d Edition is much better Then Boon-dock, try Boondocking on a 35AH battery and an 11 gallon fresh water tank that you can use 1/2 of before you risk getting a vapor lock. Then if that’s not enough of a challenge add the 6 gallon black water tank. Looks like not much research went into this name change.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Love that B@ckRo@d name. They should have set up a survey for a name on this forum!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Don't care for the new name, "Boondock" .  There isn't even an @ in the word.  Besides it doe not require an Outb@ck T@b to boondock. 
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Estancio said:
    Love that B@ckRo@d name. They should have set up a survey for a name on this forum!

That sounds like it would have been a great idea.

However it might have ended up being called the B@ck Ro@dy Mc B@ck Ro@d F@ce package...
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    :rofl: You never know what this group would come up with.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    You are SO lucky I was out of coffee when I read that!!! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    In Europe it is the T@B OFFROAD. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world