Small carry box located in front of tub

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TerryV6 said:
    I did consider these:

Wolfpack by frontrunner
    I started with the Action Packer, but the  design wastes space. I then went to Cub Packs and have now upgraded to Wolf Packs. Both are excellent products. The Action Packer is still a good choice, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @TerryV6.  Does the Plano box have an advantage over the Action Packer?
    I would like to do the side tire mount & box between tub & Jack, like you did in the first photo.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I would say that the action packer box is a bit better made.  I was finding it difficult to find them also.  The Plano box was cheaper and still gave a fairly watertight seal.  I have small locks on them, not to stop someone determined to take things, but to keep a casual hand away.  They’ve last a year with no ill effects. They come in different sizes. Mine is a smaller one.  If you were to be at NuCamp,I’d bring it..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2019
    EDIT:  This arrangement as shown below did not allow room for the spare tire mounted on the side, and is being reworked.

Thanks again for all the ideas, @TerryV6 & @jkjenn, much appreciated.
    I found the Plano box at Walmart, so went with that & got it installed.  Don't know why they call it black, but looks more like a battleship gray to me.

Since the bottom is contoured & didn't sit completely flat on the frame, I decided to make a platform, which helped fastening it.

I got a 1 x 4" vinyl board (.75x3.5") at Lowes, cut & bolted them together with stainless hardware except used elevator bolts in the corners which go inside the bin to secure it to the platform.  I positioned the two angled boards to fit inside the trailer A-frame to prevent it from twisting or sliding forward.  Used my reciprocating tool to plunge cut slots for 4 large zip ties to secure all boards to the frame.

^ Elevator bolts in corners ^

The box didn't look very large (Ext/Int= 24x15x13/20x12x11.5") & not as large as it may appear in this photo, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it would easily hold the essential setup items like water hose & parts, electrical cord, chocks, front wheel, and more.

I found a 4-pack of these little TSA suitcase locks at Walmart that are all keyed the same, so got those.  

Looks like I left enough space for the same spare tire mount you used, @TerryV6, which I'm expecting to be delivered today.  I'm a bit concerned about whether that bolt head in the middle of the frame will interfere, so might have to deal with that somehow.  Otherwise, things are looking good so far.
    Sure will be nice to have the essentials readily available without having to dig them out from either behind the rear seat storage pit or somewhere in the TV.

Will also be interesting to see how much our tongue weight increases, though we might get a little back from the tire moving towards the rear.  Vinyl boards are a bit heavy, but should last well.  The tub & boards altogether weighed 7.5 lbs, so not too bad. 
  • Options
    let us know about your new tongue weight...

When I had my case mounted as you do, I set it up as a removeable, as I had the diamond plate box mod there then.  I loved that mod....  I sold it at the last NuCamp rally...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @TerryV6, how did you manage to fit your tire on there?  Mine won't fit with the box centered on the frame.  The only way I can see this working is if I rebuilt my platform to make the box hang out more on the opposite side from the tire. 
    The devil is always in the details.  Back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    Well, I did have to cut the diamond plate, which you can see in an earlier picture.  I was using a sawsall, so the cut was not the cleanest. My tire fit was not a problem.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2019
    @TerryV6, was your Plano box the same size as mine?  See dimensions above as listed on the sticker.  The bottom of the box would clear the tire, but top requires a few more inches.  Was your box centered or sticking out on the side opposite the tire?
    It looks like I'm going to have to remount it at an angle where the end near the tire is parallel to it & an inch from it, but sticking out on the other side.
    Tire fits nicely on the trailer, but not with the box like I showed it above.
  • Options
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Perhaps it is your tire mount.  From your photo, it looks like mine would fit in that empty space in front of the tub.

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @TerryV6, I used the exact same mount.  Apparently, it's the length of the box - Plano is longer.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I have resolved my issue noted above..
    By offsetting the box more to the right and at angle, there is enough space now inside the tire to access the box latch next to the tire..

The balance point is still far enough to the left that the box still rests securely on the frame, and the corner at right is moved towards the rear, which should improve turning radius.

I was able to use the same vinyl boards, but had to completely redesign the layout & drill a bunch of new holes for bolts & zip tie straps.

Having the box shifted to the right should actually help balance the load of the tire on the other side.

With more clearance between box & tire, I should still be able to get a tire cover on & off.  I have a silver one on order to match trim.

I like that I can still get in close to the tub on driver's side, for access to the battery, switch, charger pigtail, etc.  I could have settled for a smaller box like the ActionPacker, but I like having the extra space.  Once I get a new set of jack wheels, I'll add more stuff to the box, then get a new tongue weight & see where we stand. 

EDIT: 
    Just got the tire cover..

Thanks again, @TerryV6, for the inspiration - even if it was a couple years ago, it works for me now!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited April 2019
    Heavy-duty cable ties to the rescue... again!
    This discussion has me thinking. I wonder If I could fashion my own rudimentary platform (or just frame) that would mount across the frame and under the tub silmilar the OEM Outback/Boondock rack. Like BrianZ's platform, it could be custom designed for a specific cargo box or maybe a couple of those large ammo cans. I know DaleHelman did something pretty elegant with an ATV rack, but I was thinking something even simpler that was purpose-designed to carry attached enclosed boxes.
    I'd like a little more outside storage; however, I've never been all that drawn to the factory rack and the $$$ reduces it's appeal considerably. I also suspect the factory rack won't play well with my current sewer-tube mount (also appropriated from BrianZ!)
    Ideas or prototypes welcome!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Yes, @ScottG, when I did the sewer tube mod the large zip ties came in a bag of 15 or something way more than I needed, so I finally got another chance to use some.  Back then I had made a mistake & had to cut off a pair, but I've since learned that a very small fine-tipped screwdriver can be used to lift up the zip tie lock lever to allow removal & reuse.
    They do come in handy!

I found the vinyl boards very easy to cut, drill or file, so easy to work with.  They are heavier than dry pine wood, but its main downside I think is the lack of rigidity, so can bend for a longer span even under it's own weight.  I used 3/4" thick, but if unsupported for a foot or more, you might want to try a thicker board or attach another one perpendicular (like a floor joist under a floor) if butted against the frame for support.  I did see actual 1-inch finished size boards available.  If cantilevered like a tab platform, you probably wouldn't want to make it as long or store as much weight (no 5 gal water jugs, for example).

PS:  l have limited experience with vinyl boards, but wondering if PVC cement can be used for added strength at joints.
  • Options
    @BrianZ,  your are welcome.  Most posts here are an inspiration to me.  Yours certainly are in that category...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Thanks, @TerryV6, yes we can all learn something from each other.
    As requested, here is my new tongue weight..

And how it changed..
    Most of these items had previously been stored in the rear storage area.  All tanks were empty during all weighings.

And after reorganizing a bit..

Still room to add a couple of small plastic chocks that are currently in use but won't really add to the tongue weight.
  • Options
    seajeeperseajeeper Member Posts: 37

Scott, I felt the same way.  Here is mine, it actually fits around the tub (not under), bolts to the frame, incorporates the wheel on one side and platform on the other.  I now have the sewer hose tube zip tied to the bottom of it (not shown). Angle iron and expanded metal.  I use the rack for firewood or coolers while on the road.  Store the generator on it when camping (it travels inside).

2016 Max S, 2011 Volvo XC60

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Nice work, @seajeeper! That's along the lines of what I was thinking--fitting it around the tub is clever and certainly simplifies things a bit. Given what you use it for, it sounds like it is pretty sturdy.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @seajeeper off topic, but I LOVE the blue trim! That looks like a custom blue? Nice rack too!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Nice work, @seajeeper!
    I'm curious what the other side looks like at the frame near the tire.  I would guess the angle iron extends laterally across both legs of the A-frame with an attachment to the leg on the opposite side that would support most of the weight?  Clever cantilevered design, as it may also help offset the torque forces which the spare tire places on the tongue frame.

• Options
    Yes, the angle goes all the way across to the other frame rail.  I don't have a good picture of it, but here is one that shows some of it.

• Options
    Ok, I see now, @seajeeper.  It looks like you created your own tire mount.  I'm surprised it doesn't interfere with access to the waste pipe drains.
  • Options

Changed sewer to a single outlet and rearranged they gray water handle........

• Options
    ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
    Terry -- I'm getting a T@B 320S and looking into getting that extended front rack installed so I can put hoses, cords, chocks etc. in.  I measured each side of the box holding the battery and LP and there is 17" length and 12" depth on each side.  I've searched all over the internet and all of the boxes are longer than 17"!!!  It looks like yours extend over the rack - do they?  I'm still a newbie and don't know if this will affect my driving ability (spatial problems for me?).  Also, in reading the other posts, I didn't even consider tongue weight issues.  The dealer didn't bring this up when I asked about getting the front rack.  My TV is a RAV 4 Adventure - 3500 lbs.  Any insights?
    Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
    Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)
  • Options
    @ZippyA,  I’m very happy with the front rack.  It gives me extre storage space.  You just have remember your tongue weight and not overload.  We use one side for hoses etc, and the other for my locks and cables.  The Boxes I’m using are Plano boxes and are about 22 inches wide, so they don’t really overhang.  They are relatively waterproof, so you could towels, clothing etc in there.  Your choice.  Here are some closeups..

Notice it’s raining out and I’m reinforcing my neighbors opinion that I’m kind of crazy...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI