Options

Do you use these?

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stabilizer-jack-pads-4pk/29164  Do you use these under your stabilizers? If you do why? I know that Outback owners stack them because their stabilizers are not long enough.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I do use mine under my stabilizers to decrease the amount that I need to bring them down.  I've only had one instance where the stabilizers did not reach the ground on my Outback.  Also, they help keep the tong 'wheel' from sinking on soft soil.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I used them for when I parked on grass or basically dirt
    I feel it is better but  have no proof 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’m using mine right now because the T@B is parked in the yard while I had skids of shingles delivered (I don’t trust Workman near my T@B!).

I use the plastic jack pads on sand, grass or hot asphalt. Yes, I know the jack feet are large, but I think the rectangular plastic jack pad distributes the weight better and doesn’t compact the sand or grass as much as the metal attached jack plate.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Nope. The existing plates on the stabilizers work fine in nearly all circumstances. On the rare occasion I need a little more lift or a little bigger footing, a block of wood does the trick nicely.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I use them for all the reasons above.  They are also infinitely useful around the campsite to keep things out of the dirt, etc.  I've leveled/stabilized my camp chair with them, etc.  (I have the square "lego" ones that came with the Tab.)
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2017
    I use them for all the above reasons, but... I made my own out of plywood, which I use unless I need the additional height.  Order of use: Plywood, then lego blocks for additional height or leveling.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    I use them under the stabilizers when the trailer is parked on soft ground such as sand or loose dirt. I also have used them under the trailer jack when for some reason there was not enough room under the jack to put the wheel back on when we parked the trailer at our campsite.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited October 2017
    I use some pieces of 2x6 wood, sometimes.

When?

1.  On uneven ground, and the stabilizers would have to be cranked near their limit. 
    2.  On rocky ground, where there is a risk of bending the metal foot of the stabilizer. 

The stabilizers have nice foot pads, that seem to work fine on dirt.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I have them, but haven't needed them yet, got them incase we camp somewhere that is very sandy. So far the feet on the jacks have worked very well for me.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I've never used them, and never had a problem. I've parked on grass, soft dirt & gravel, and never had an issue. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Seem to me just one less thing to store if you don't need them. Also they don't support much weight since you are just stabilizing.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I use them quite often as I primarily boondock and the sites I camp in are rather uneven.  These help provide extra height for the stabilizers as well as provide a larger footprint for softer soils, especially when it rains.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I use similar pads for anything leveling around my T@G.  So far, we rearly stay more than one night in the same spot, so I use them to level the trailer, by if need be putting some under a TD wheel, the the TD wheel, the stabilizer legs of the jack if I need to unhook.

i tought about using wood like 2x6", I have plenty already at home, but those block stack nicely in use or storage, they are light weight and do not get wet and are easy to clean.

yep, I little more expensive than scarp poece of wood, but for what they are worth, it was almost a no brainer for us.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My LG Teardrop slipped on them when the chocks moved slightly. I don't put anything under the stabilizers until it's what someone else said, sandy or major mud (no sinking into the ground allowed). When I bought my LG, I bought a plethera of the orange blocks. They don't play nice with the tandem axle yellow lego blocks (go figger). I'll probably give away at least one set of 10 of the orange ones.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use them in loose or uneven soil conditions and as Colorado Jon noted, to provide a wider/firmer footprint.
    On asphalt or concrete I never use them.    
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    The stabilizer pads have a "flat side" and a "honeycomb pattern side". If you do get those yellow stabilizer pads, note that the "honeycomb" side faces UP, and the flat side faces down.

Otherwise the weight of the RV might accidentally drive the honeycomb pattern down deep into the mud/grass/sand, sort of like how a cookie cutter sinks into cookie dough.

We have them and have used them on wet, rainy ground. We don't use them when parked in our driveway on asphalt.
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • Options
    MortyandDottieMortyandDottie Member Posts: 37
    @dalehelman we use them with our Outback.  As we discussed at Ft. Worden, they do take up a bit of room.  Any ideas on alternatives or modifications :)?
    Charles, Dee and the Dogs, Poulsbo WA

2017 Silver on Silver T@B S Outback

2017 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    I use them because my wife told me to.
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @gohpergrad.   Good man!
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
     The set that comes with the outback (because of the lift) is not enough if you are off level. I mounted an old milk crate to the front rack to keep ythem and the wheel choks in. Worked out good. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I picked up a set of 10 neon orange ones at a garage sale for $5. I've used the when leveling is excessive front to back or side to side. I've also used them on soft dirt and on wet grass. I have also used them to level my road grill.  As far as storing them goes, they stay tucked away in my compartment on the passenger side at the back of the Tab and can access them through the outside storage door. So, they are never in the way and always available if I need them. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    I have these & use for the same reasons as listed above. The soil in our neck of the woods is very sandy; helps the stabilizer pads from sinking. I have a heavy duty waterproof plastic tub, our 't@b tub' that stores them along with all other necessary tools, etc...
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a set, but actually only use them to level the legs on my EZ-Up if the ground is uneven. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    We have had to use them several times when a stabilizer won't reach the ground.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @2Cougs, Not supposed to park so close to those cliffs....'ya know? ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @ericnliz - No one ever told us that!  Darn.... I guess that means we shouldn't look for view sites ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Gotta have those views! A friend of mine stacks rocks in weird configs (apparently there's a whole group of peeps that do that). He wanted this great view and stacked one side of his Camp Inn at an (what I considered) an impossible height. Except he knew what he was doing and it was stable. Still scary to look at! I had a picture of it, but lost it in a hard drive crash. Crazy peeps.. *mumbles about too much sun*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)