Options

RV antifreeze

How long is a half used jug of antifreeze good for? I have some left from last year. Not sure if I should use it or disgard it.

Jeannie
2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I don't believe it has a shelf life. If it did it would certainly be more than a year. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    2 years according to one source I read.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    edited November 2017
    I think most RV antifreezes are ethanol based, so the biggest concern might be the volatile ethanol evaporating and making the solution less effective.

Believe it or not, I've experienced something very similar with a very old, very nearly empty bottle of Irish whiskey!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Sooooo.....Did it make 'ya more volatile @ScottG????? :rofl:=)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Sooooo.....Did it make 'ya more volatile @ScottG????? :rofl:=)
    Unfortunately, no. That was the problem!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I think most RV antifreeze (pink) uses propylene glycol, which is considered nontoxic to humans (but toxic to cats); as opposed to automotive antifreeze (blue) which uses ethylene glycol and is very toxic.

Incidentally, I had read complaints about RV antifreeze not living up to its rating ("protects down to -75°F", etc), because it was not staying liquid, but forming ice when placed in a freezer.  So I put some in an empty plastic coke bottle to test.  Surprisingly to me, it did not stay liquid, but formed some ice, like a slushy mix of ice & liquid.  Apparently, this is normal, and it will still protect plumbing pipes, because it doesn't form a solid block of ice, but easily collapses under pressure.

Warning:  If you want to try this yourself, I suggest labeling the bottle "Antifreeze: propylene glycol.  Do not drink!".  That way, you can avoid scaring your sister-in-law half to death when she finds it & decides to taste it & you tell her that what she just tasted was not pink lemonade, but antifreeze!  :o
    Fortunately, I was able to reassure her that it was non-toxic & she was a good sport, so we still had a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Options
    Some RV antifreezes may be propylene glycol, but I believe that others--particularly the cheaper ones you find everywhere--are alcohol based. The fine print on the bottle should tell you which type you have.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yes, definitely need to read the fine print.  In my limited experience shopping for RV antifreeze locally & online I found the majority listing ingredients were propylene glycol based.  I only found one source so far listing ethanol, though some didn't list ingredients online.

I did find two or three RV articles reporting that ethanol based antifreeze is either not preferred or not recommended, citing flammability, bad aftertaste in plumbing, and potential damage to rubber in valves.  The propylene glycol one I got from Walmart was like 3 or $4 for a gallon jug, which seems cheap to me & I only used half.  I wonder if articles like these could be changing the supply & demand.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    RV antifreeze at this time of year usually rises to around $12/gallon. You can get it online cheaper and in the off-season. The average is about $7 a gallon, but I saw a $4 one on Amazon just now. 

It's not just ethanol in it, it's the poisonous non-environmentally friendly 'ethylene glycol' formulation that doesn't belong in an RV line. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    How To Remember Which Antifreeze to Use:

Ethylene Glycol:    E = for Engines   (blue)

Propylene Glycol:  P = for Pipes (also = Pink)