Emergency Brake Lesson Learned

Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

I learned another lesson in prepping the camper to go.  I was traveling with a friend this weekend and let her take care of hooking up the chains, emergency brake and 7-pin connector for the braking system while I dealt with securing the inside and packing the power cables, chokes, blocks and various items.  I should have checked it myself, but didn't...in my defense, I was hungry and needed more coffee...which was our next stop.  We start moving and the rear driver's side tire locked up.  Now...not thinking straight due to my weakened condition...I immediately think it's the 7-pin or some muddy rocks are lodge in the tire following an unplanned wrong turn excursion the day before that involved mud and cows (another story).  I reset the braking module, unplug and replug the 7-pin.  I even crawled under the camper and got it into my head to remove the tire.  Fortunately, my husband, who I had called to let him know I might have to move to Lindsborg, KS since the camper wouldn't roll, was thinking with a well-caffeinated brain and reminded me about the emergency brake.  Lo and behold, my friend had it all balled up in the chain and had pulled out the connector pulling on it.  In her defense, she normally travels in a 5th wheel and had no idea what the little wire was about.  I plugged it back in and off we went...much happier and with a new resolution to just take the time to eat breakfast and have a couple cups of coffee before we break camp again!  On the bright side, the emergency brake definitely works, and the cable could be removed as a theft preventive measure, if needed.

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Removing the break away pin for a longer period of time will also deplete your battery.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @SAM How does that happen asks blank look whenever electricity is mentioned Judi?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, Even with the battery cut-off in the "off" position? Same blank look as @Twojgrams! :o:|
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

:|:|   Blank and blanker here.

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Twojgrams & @ericnliz the trailer brakes are electromechanical, requiring either TV power or, I would suspect trailer battery to operate. Depending on how they are wired in to the system, they may use battery on the trailer to operate.  Eitherway, I would suspect that when parked, the Ebrake would drain the TV battery & or the trailer battery, or both.  A test could clarify: unplug the 7 pin, put the trailer battery in "disconnect" then pull the pin and see what happens.  If the brakes engage, then the brakes are directly connected to the trailer battery, and will then drain your battery on the trailer. If nothing happens...then the brakes require either the TV connection or the trailer battery in " connected" mode. Either way...battery drain.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I was curious because to release the trailer brake, you turn the battery cut-off to the "off" position, hense the brake no longer has power from the battery.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Sorry - out of range.  True, if the battery cut off switch is off, the breakaway brakes will not deploy, and it would not be a theft deterrent at that point.  The TaB battery powers the breakaway brakes.  If the cut off switch is on during towing or otherwise and you pull the pin it runs off the battery.
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2017

The breakaway cable goes to a relay switch (little black box) connected to your T@B battery and electric brakes. When the cable gets yanked that pulls a plastic pin out of the switch causing a circuit to close and brakes engage. Under normal conditions that would mean a runaway trailer. :o

You should periodically test the relay switch to confirm the brakes lock up as expected. 
    Step 1: Disconnect 7-pin pigtail connector between TV and trailer.
    Step 2: Yank out the relay pin by tugging on the breakaway cable.
    Step 3: Attempt to drive forward; trailer wheels should be locked.
    Step 4: Reinsert relay switch pin (make sure it's flush); reconnect pigtail connector.

Never tow with your battery cut-off switch in "off" or the breakaway switch will be useless in an emergency.
    Also make sure the cable is free and clear while towing, not wrapped around the chain or otherwise hindered. On the other hand make sure the cable isn't dangling on the ground. ;)
    The proper amount of slack is just short of chain slack. Why? Because the breakaway switch will prevent the trailer from slamming into your TV should the hitch jump off the ball for some reason or ball fails. If that happens your trailer can run into the back of your TV when you hit the brakes unless the breakaway switch activated to slow the trailer or you think fast and reach down to activate your TV brake controller manually.

IMPORTANT: Never leave the pin out of the switch for a long period of time or the switch will melt.  
    See: https://www.escousa.net/technical-documentation/break-away-switch/

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    I'm reminded daily why it's a good thing to belong to this forum, clear, helpful and important information! Thanks all-

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I'll add that the breakaway brake switch (along with everything else) is connected to the battery via the junction box under the front of the T@B. The typical disconnect (installed at the battery) totally disconnects the battery from that junction box.

Other trailers may have their breakaway switch wired directly to the battery terminals, but this is not the case with the T@B. (At least not as of 2015.)

So, it's worth repeating for new owners: if you tow with your battery disconnected, your breakaway brakes will not operate in the event of a trailer separation!
    2015 T@B S
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @ScottG , is it possible for the trailer brakes to get its power from the TV with the battery cutoff switch in the off position and the trailer plugged into the TV? Just wondering.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @ScottG , is it possible for the trailer brakes to get its power from the TV with the battery cutoff switch in the off position and the trailer plugged into the TV? Just wondering.

Yes. The 12V feed from the T/V pigtail connects to the same terminal in the junction box as the battery, so the breakaway brakes (along with everything else) can also be powered through your vehicle's generator.

However, it won't do you much good once your free-ranging trailer yanks the pigtail out its socket!  
    2015 T@B S
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @ScottG , thanks. Duh, I forgot why we would need to have power to the trailer brakes. :)

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Thank you TabberJohn

I now know what is the utility of the wire. Even my dealer was not able to realy clarify this, so I did not know out to properly adusjt the lenght of the wire. And since I modified my thong on my T@G, I was wondering how to use that wire.

now I know! :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    We discovered that we can't pull the pin on the breakaway.  Any ideas as to why that may occur?
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2017
    Pin should pop out with a quick tug.
    Make sure the cable is free and clear and not caught up on something.
    On our used T@B a sway bar (since removed) had been installed with long bolts that protruded in the way of the cable.
    Once out you will notice the pin only goes back in when turned a certain way.
    It should not be difficult to pull out or insert back in.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Thanks all!  I didn't consider the battery power issue with regard to the emergency brake...nor that simply cutting battery power would release the brake anyway.  That's why I'm on this forum!
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.