Options

Norcold Frig. Went Bad

I just got word that I need a new refrigerator in my 2015 T@B.  This is a 3-way frig. that stopped working this past summer.  I know these units are exp. but was wondering if I could stick a freezer inside the soon to be vacant area.  I'm not really interested in using Norcold seeing how our trailer is only two years old.  Does anyone one have exp. with modifications and installing a 3-way or even just a two way frig. recomendations would be very helpful.  I'm very bumbed that it has come to this. 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    edited October 2017
    Unless you need a 3 way, consider an ARB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/79882#Comment_79882

A recent discussion about fridges, and my comments about fitting a 50 qt ARB in the space vacated by a 3-way fridge.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarkMark Member Posts: 11
    So as mentioned my 2015 T@B Norcold bit the dust. I'm now sold on the ARB frig/freezer.  I would love to put a 50qt ARB in the location of the Norcold 3 way. Thinking a shelf roll out would be a good idea but wondering about the type and if anyone has done this?  Idea please and much thanks.
  • Options
    @Mark, I would use at least 100 lb slides on a wooden tray. The 50 qt ARB weighs a bit over 50 lbs empty. Either buy the ARB hold down straps or use heavy duty ratchet straps to hold the ARB to the slides.

I would have to remove the old 3-way to decide how to attach the wooden tray and slides to the interior of the space. I definitely would figure out the measurements for two cabinet doors and order them from nüCamp so the birch wood would match the rest of the cabinet doors. 

No, I have not done this, but I would not hesitate to use my ARB as the 3-way replacement.

If you are not familiar with propane connections, be sure to get qualified help to disconnect the propane line. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Mark ARB are designed and come with instructions on how to bolt them in place on your slide. With the right type of slide, you could just remove the entire slide if you need to.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    I sourced a slide from Southern California Teardrops.
  • Options
    SAM said:
    I sourced a slide from Southern California Teardrops.
    This is pretty cool https://www.socalteardrops.com/parts.php?cid=9&pid=77
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    You can request one to be made without the SCT stamp.  All aluminum and holds 500 pounds.    Also, NuCamp builds wood slides for the Norcold chests in the Tags and Tabs.  Maybe start with them.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Agree with Dale. They (dealer) told me mine was toast and the factory fixed it. Turns out the igniter was corroded.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Can any one post a picture of an ARB in place of the Norcold unit?  Interested to know what size ARB will fit the vacant area.  Thanks,  Mark 
  • Options
    No one has done it yet. The Norcold 3-way fridges have been repairable to this point.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I just got a call from the camper service guy.  I'm really under the impression they are clueless.  They want $1650.00 for ordering a new unit.  This does not include installation.  I said no way and asked that they seal off the gas line and remove any guts remaining.  At this point, I don't know what to expect :(.  Talked to the wife and if possible we will go with an ARB on top of a slid pannel.  I'm not a happy camper with Norcold or the camping service people.  
  • Options
    Mark said:
    I just got a call from the camper service guy.  I'm really under the impression they are clueless.  They want $1650.00 for ordering a new unit.  This does not include installation.  I said no way and asked that they seal off the gas line and remove any guts remaining.  At this point, I don't know what to expect :(.  Talked to the wife and if possible we will go with an ARB on top of a slid pannel.  I'm not a happy camper with Norcold or the camping service people.  
    Don't you have any other options? Can't you just take it to some other other Norcold repair shop? If it could be fixed and it was working to your sanctification before this issue. These systems are completely repairable. It seems like you have found a shop that doesn't know how to work on them or just don't want to.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I recall Jenn stating that the old Norcold model (guts on the left side) has been discontinued.  While they are still available, parts may not be down the road.  Has anyone inquired if the new Norcold (guts on the right side) will fit into the old Norcold opening?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz, I have been told by services that this model has been discontinued.  I'm living in the Washington DC area and this faciity is located in Thurmont MD and the largest supplier in that area. I would have thought they had the experiance to fix this unit.