Factory Visit

My wife and I own a 2014 T@BS Max.  We currently camp twice a year for 10-12 days at a time and always put up the side tent. Its been a great setup for our use, however we hope to start traveling around the country in the future. So we are very interested in the new 400.  Last month we attended the Hershey PA RV Show, hoping to see a 400.  Disappointed our dealer was not there, and neither was a 400.  We did however get to see the Liberty Maxx; a Maryland dealer had several units there.  Nice enough trailer with lots of room, but we don't like the style. Moreover, for me, the dry weight  (3,140 lbs.) would require a new TV, probably a standard pickup or V-8 SUV.  We tow with a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 equipped with Sumo Springs that works well for the 320.  So we decided to take a trip to Sugar Creek to get a good look at the 400, and tour the factory while there. I called ahead and made an appointment for the tour, explaining that we were really coming to examine the 400.  It's about 300 miles from our home in SE PA so we made it a three day road trip.  When we arrived a young sales rep took us on a tour of the factory (which is conducted on a mezzanine floor looking down on the assembly areas).  He was very knowledgeable and the process was interesting.  Then we asked to see a completed 400 - no can do!  There must have been 15-20 units in the yard awaiting shipment, but he said he could not let us go in the yard to examine a finished trailer.  We were really disappointed to have driven that far and not been able to look at a camper.  He suggested we contact a dealer about an hour and a half from our home to see a  400.  As you all know, that is really a hit or miss situation since they are pretty much gone as soon as they arrive. Let me make it clear, this is not a complaint about Pleasant Valley, its employees or its products. Rather I wanted to share our experience and give anyone who is thinking of going there to see a 400 a heads up.  We are loyal T@B owners and are still seriously planning on getting a 400 down the road.  Camp on...
paforester, 2014 T@B 320S Max.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Sorry you were disappointed.  Maybe a call to the dealers closer to the factory would have one, maybe not.  They are flying off the shelves!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    very disappointing, our dealer brought one into Ontario Canada for the fall RV Show, although I'd seen them at the factory tour during UCamp17 and we were lucky enough to have one across from us at the campground...always nice to see them in person...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I suspect some safety/insurance regulation was behind your not being able to go into the yard. I'm a little surprised they don't have a demo unit at the ready (particularly since they are giving factory tours) but with current demand so high they may be reluctant to hold back a unit just for show.

I'm sure your disappointment wasn't lost on the rep, and I wouldn't be surprised if they remedy that situation once the dust clears and production gets up to speed. 
    2015 T@B S
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    There is a dealership in Maryland about 1 hour from Hershey that as of today actually has several 400’s and Liberty Max’s
    I stopped just to check them out and preferred the 400 for quality 
  • Z_GZ_G Member Posts: 38
    There is a dealer in Juniata pa and one in Thurmont md both of which are much closer than sugarcreek.. think there is a dealer in Delaware which could be closer
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    ontheroad said:
    very disappointing, our dealer brought one into Ontario Canada for the fall RV Show, although I'd seen them at the factory tour during UCamp17 and we were lucky enough to have one across from us at the campground...always nice to see them in person...
    I was at the Toronto Fall RV show, and saw a 400 for the first time.  After seeing it, I'm not lusting for it at all.  I'm happy to stick with my 329 CS-S.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    lino said:
    There is a dealership in Maryland about 1 hour from Hershey that as of today actually has several 400’s and Liberty Max’s
    I stopped just to check them out and preferred the 400 for quality 
    That's probably Beckley's in Thurmont, md.  They also have(as of 2 months ago) a 400 for display purposes only, NFS! So... whether they have stock or not, there is one to touch & feel! :)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    When I was at Sugar Creek only 3 weeks ago, they had a new 400 on display and it was being used as an office inside the lobby area. I spent 2 hours there picking up parts...and no one even mentioned that a tour was possible!
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC