Options

Day/Night Shades - Cleaning and Flipping the Vertical Direction

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
My passenger side day/night shade has given me grief almost since day 1. This week I took it off and today, I finally got around to fixing it. I think I finally have it. It required me taking me all the strings apart and running them, again. I also took the time to tighten the shade strings. 

With all of the camping in dry, dusty conditions I have done, the shades are looking fairly dirty. In the past I have used Clorox wipes. Has anyone found a better way?

Also, I am wondering if the people who reversed the share and screen so that the shade is on the bottom and the screen on the top had any thoughts after being able to use them this way, for a while? I still tend to think you would get better air flow with the screen on the bottom, but I thought I would ask as long as I have one of them completely off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Jenn, our 2017 came with the screen on top.  We like it.  It vents just fine at night when we want to have air flow and privacy with the shade mostly up.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Jenn, our 2017 came with the screen on top.  We like it.  It vents just fine at night when we want to have air flow and privacy with the shade mostly up.  

Thanks. I know the windows are low on the T@b, but it just seems like you would have more privacy. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I flipped the passenger side and need to look when I have beeter light to see if I can get the driver side without removing the little valance shelf. Thede was a discussion thread about this but cannot find it, for the life of me.

• Options
    I think michietucs and Nomad may have done this.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited May 2022
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks...I always forget about a 90 degree rachet.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We reversed ours about 2 years ago. Shades on the bottom, and we still like them that way. The only negative is that you cannot lift the bottom of the shade to perk out say at night when we are in bed. It does block air flow a fair amount.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    We reversed ours about 2 years ago. Shades on the bottom, and we still like them that way. The only negative is that you cannot lift the bottom of the shade to perk out say at night when we are in bed. It does block air flow a fair amount.

It's true, I do peak out at night, at times. I am not sure I am thrilled about it blocking air flow, however. This might make me think about switching the passenger side, back. Thanks for weighing in, Dale.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Time to re-start this discussion. With focus on Cleaning.
    Today discovered that two+ weeks of really bad wild fire smoke across Washington State (and Yes, was traveling/camping) the Night Shades have a fine dark grime.

Am concerned 'wiping' dry/wet or 'brushing' will just drive the fine particles deeper into the shade material.  Might a shop-vac work - - - to lift the particles without flattening the shade folds ? ?

Any super creative cleaning experts out in T@B Family Land ?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Our T@g also had the shade on the bottom and screen on top...I had made some awnings that gave us a great amount of privacy...so was able to leave the screen down lower for more air flow...time to dust off the sewing machine and get some awnings made for " n@meless t@b"...I tend to use our hand vac that we carry to try and keep the shades clean...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Here is what the new owners manual says:  “Curtains, Blinds, Shades. Dust frequently with a soft brush-tipped vacuum or dust wand. Have them professionally cleaned once a year.” 

Horrex makes the shades:  https://www.horrex.nl/windows-blinds    Info@horrex.nl

Their data sheet says to clean with a “
    Soft damp cloth with mild detergent.”