Options

Norcold Fridge

I have a 2017 T@B Outback MaxS. the fridge barely stays cool during driving while working off battery. The gasket has come out and won't stay in. I thought of siliconing the gasket but not sure if it would mess with the warranty. I have contacted the dealer twice and haven't heard from them. I have noticed I am not the only one with the gasket problem. How about the fridge barely staying cool? I have this fridge plugged in shore power for 2 days prior to travel so it is cold when I start but will not hold barely cool during travel.

Comments

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    For the gasket gorilla glue has been recommended on this forum and there is a thread somewhere 
    I was able to get mine to stay without it after it came out a few times by pushing hard into place
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    lino said:
    For the gasket gorilla glue has been recommended on this forum and there is a thread somewhere 
    I was able to get mine to stay without it after it came out a few times by pushing hard into place
    I was also able to press hard and put it back in place and it has stayed.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    There are multiple threads regarding the 3 way frig performance via 12 volt.  I suggest doing a search using this:

site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com Norcold on 12 volts
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I had the exact same problem with my 2015. NuCamp suggested that I use some silicone caulking as a glue to keep the gasket in place. It helped a little bit, but it was still not working as I wanted or how it worked before. You can try that first then try not to put anything on the door (keep the door light weight).

Norcold 3-way fridge was one of the main reasons I sold my T@B. It simply didn't work for me in Texas heat... Norcold support told me that the fridge was not made for outside temp higher than 95F...
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    @JiroTX, just curious if you found a camper with fridge that worked for you and what model and size of fridge?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I have a 2017 T@B Outback MaxS. the fridge barely stays cool during driving while working off battery. The gasket has come out and won't stay in. I thought of siliconing the gasket but not sure if it would mess with the warranty. I have contacted the dealer twice and haven't heard from them. I have noticed I am not the only one with the gasket problem. How about the fridge barely staying cool? I have this fridge plugged in shore power for 2 days prior to travel so it is cold when I start but will not hold barely cool during travel.
    What was the outside temperature when you were traveling? Most people complain that the battery is drained when they get to camp which affects the Norcold operation as well.. Check out my test results while running on 12volt. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5765/turbocharging-the-norcold-n-180-3-3-way-fridge-beefing-up-the-12-volt-system#latest
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    Roamey said:
    @JiroTX, just curious if you found a camper with fridge that worked for you and what model and size of fridge?
    Roamey, I cannot comment on the fridge that will come with the new travel trailer I ordered since I do not have it yet (I am receiving it in 2-3 weeks hopefully). It will come with 6 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer combo (I believe it's Dometic brand). Hopefully it will work under 100+ weather in Texas. I have ordered it with 15K BTU A/C also. When I went to Big Bend, my T@B's a/c overheated and completely stopped for a couple of hours. I cannot really create the same situation (100F) and test the new TT/fridge until next summer though.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited October 2017
    JiroTX said:
    Roamey said:
    Roamey, I cannot comment on the fridge that will come with the new travel trailer I ordered since I do not have it yet (I am receiving it in 2-3 weeks hopefully). It will come with 6 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer combo (I believe it's Dometic brand). Hopefully it will work under 100+ weather in Texas. I have ordered it with 15K BTU A/C also. When I went to Big Bend, my T@B's a/c overheated and completely stopped for a couple of hours. I cannot really create the same situation (100F) and test the new TT/fridge until next summer though.
    I had problems in 2016 in Utah when temps were over 100. Once it climbed above 95 or so, it was done until 9:00 pm, and the sun was down.

The a/c might help your fridge and maybe a bigger fridge might help, but Dometic and Norcold are pretty close cousins, from what I understand. Dometic makes most of the parts for Norcold and only U.S. antitrust laws keep them as separate companies.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    In view of what @jkjenn is saying about close cousins, if you look at the dometic fridges the put a climate classification on all their refrigerators. Check out this article to see exactly what the fridge you have is designed for. https://appliancestop.info/climate-classes-of-fridges/
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.