Options

Questions on Winterizing 2018 320 CS from a newbie

misselaineousmisselaineous Member Posts: 10
Can anyone help me please? We live in southern Ontario, Canada and can experience some deep cold over our winters. Due to this, hubby wants to run antifreeze through the entire plumbing system just to be on the safe side for storing over the winter (in our unheated garage), but I can't seem to find any info on whether or not we need to put the T@b into winterization mode before flushing the antifreeze through. I know the manual says to do that if you are just blowing out the lines. Does anyone know?
Edited to add: not sure if it makes a difference, but we will be running the Alde to heat the T@b over the winter.
Life takes us unexpected places. Love brings us home.

2018 T@B 320 CS (white w. black) | 2015 Santa Fe XL (white w. black) | near Toronto, ON

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,519
    The manual does a better job of describing the non- clamshell antifreeze valve positions for winterization.  Here goes.

Basic Instructions in the online 2017 T@B Manual, page 46 right column.  I can see why the clamshell pictures are confusing.  According to the instructions, drain the plumbing by opening the faucets and showers and Hot and Cold Water Drains that empty through the floor plus open the yellow lever to empty the Alde Hot Water Tank.  Then close those valves so antifreeze does not drain out under the Tab.

Next, close the Hot Water Shut Off Valve and the Cold Water Shut Off Valve (not to be confused with the drain valves)  - these Shut Off Valves actually allow you to Bypass the Alde Tank AND then open the Bypass Valve to allow you to add antifreeze to the hot water line, but bypass the Alde.  Then add antifreeze to the fresh water tank, pump it through, etc.

Hope this helps.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Also, I think people who use antifreeze in their fresh water tank, also blow out the system after draining.  The manual does not indicate that, either.  Forgot to add, you can still heat the cabin after you winterize.  The heat system circulates glycol, not water and the 2 systems can run separately.  Just don't add antifreeze to the Alde Hot Water tank.
  • Options
    There are a few owners who have done it (prior to Alde issuing the need to avoid antifreeze in the hot water tank).  They rinsed it out thoroughly in the spring and no one has reported any issues with the Alde hot water system since.  Some concern with corrosion?  Not really sure.  Most important is that you want to rinse it well.  You do not want to heat water with it in the tank and of course you don't want to shower with antifreeze.  Not recommended to consume water heated in that tank anyways, so should not be a risk related to consumption.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,468
    Tbone said:
    What would happen if one were to get the RV antifreeze in the hot water system? :s
    Good question, the answer to which has never been completely clear. It's possible it may have something to do with the flammable nature of ethanol (used in most RV antifreezes) or perhaps ethanol's propensity to dry out plumbing seals. I suspect the actual "dangers" are limited and the recommendation is more about CYA than anything.
    2015 T@B S