Options

Question about winterizing

WeBeTabbinWeBeTabbin Member Posts: 6
Hey all, I have a quick question for the pros. I have a 2017 t@b 320 outback. Up here in the Pac northwest we only dip below freezing occasionally in the winter and I am hesitant to winterize because we plan to use our tab year around. Being an avid skier, I'm planning on several weekend ski trips with her. I want to know considering the climate if it is safe to keep tab plugged into shore power for the winter and kick on the alde on the occasional 32 degree and below nights? Or is their a method of protection that is extremely short term so as to allow continued use? Thanks to any who can help!

Comments

• Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    edited November 2017
    We’re supposed to have a colder than normal winter, ya know.  And more snow than normal...again.  We are excited for a nice winter of cross country skiing!

I’m not a pro.  Hopefully, some of them will weigh in here for you.  This is what we are doing.

We are in the South Puget Sound.  Last winter we had snow, and a few very cold nights.  It’s even dropped into the teens here.  So I blew all the water out of my 400’s plumbing and poured some RV antifreeze down my drains yesterday.  And, after lots of good shared knowledge and advice on this forum, I’m going to put a Battery Tender Plus on my camper’s battery.  The Battery Tender usually comes with a pigtail that you can leave attached to your battery.  Apparently, remaining plugged into shore power to keep the battery charged is less than optimal.

You can still use your T@B this winter, including the heat, fridge, stove, lighting....  Just don’t use the plumbing after you’ve winterized it.  We installed a composting toilet in our 400 to make it more boondockable, which also makes our T@B pretty easy to use in cold weather.

There are a number of folks here who camp in cold weather with their T@Bs.  Perhaps they will let you know how they manage their black and gray water when the weather dips below freezing.

There, now I’ve bumped your post back to the top.  Now the real pros can correct me!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2017
    Look up and use the blow out method. No chemicals and when the temperature rises, the only thing you do is to put water back in the tank, hook up the pump, prime and you're operational. Just running the alde in freezing temps is not enough. Much of your plumbing is underneath your trailer. It is not insulated and can freeze. A simple course polyester mesh (like a tarp)with little insulating value hides it from your view. Of course, you can winterize and still use your trailer, in below freezing temps. No water, but you can bring enough to drink, cook and clean. The alde will heat the trailer as it circulates glycol to provide heat. Use of camping double dooty type waste disposal bags allows for use of the commode and the bags or improvised waste containers are disposed of with your regular trash. Use the search function for "winterizing" or similar topics. There are too many threads to mention, and soooooo much information. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited November 2017
    @WeBeTabbin, It appears from the photo that you have a 2017 320 Outback. The advise from @dragonsdofly, and @Haloo is good solid advise for life in the North West. You might do as @dragonsdofly mentioned, and do a little more research to more familiarize yourself with the quick & easy "blow-out" method for your needs. I know there are others here on the Forum that use their T@Bs for a base camp while snow skiing, and hopefully they will chime in & share their experiences also.
    Oh, And @Haloo, if you should run out of snow & need more cold, you're more than welcome to come visit the INLAND Northwest. Last year we had plenty of cold ( got down to a bone-chilling minus 19* here), snow, and a few ice storms thrown in just to break up the boredom of winter. :o:s We've ALREADY had our first round of snow, and more is expected within the week. Put yer skis in the T@B & head on over!  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    ericnliz said:
    ...Oh, And @Haloo, if you should run out of snow & need more cold, you're more than welcome to come visit the INLAND Northwest. Last year we had plenty of cold ( got down to a bone-chilling minus 19* here), snow, and a few ice storms thrown in just to break up the boredom of winter. :o:s We've ALREADY had our first round of snow, and more is expected within the week. Put yer skis in the T@B & head on over!  ;)
    We will move full time to our cabin in the Methow Valley early next summer. I don’t think we got to minus 19 last winter.  But the record low for Washington was set in the Methow — minus 40 something.  

We’re headed to our place in the valley next Monday.  I’ve got 3.5 cords of firewood stacked for this winter.  It was COLD in December and January last year.  Hope I have enough!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Hey all, I have a quick question for the pros. I have a 2017 t@b 400 outback. Up here in the Pac northwest we only dip below freezing occasionally in the winter and I am hesitant to winterize because we plan to use our tab year around. Being an avid skier, I'm planning on several weekend ski trips with her. I want to know considering the climate if it is safe to keep tab plugged into shore power for the winter and kick on the alde on the occasional 32 degree and below nights? Or is their a method of protection that is extremely short term so as to allow continued use? Thanks to any who can help!
    It's pretty tough to keep the pipes warm to avoid winterizing. 

It's a bit of a pain, but a fairly quick job to blow out the water, and fill the traps with anti-freeze. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    WeBeTabbinWeBeTabbin Member Posts: 6
    Blow out it is! Sorry for the typo on model. Thanks all!!!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, @WeBeTabbin, also needing mention is the exposed plumbing... The black and gray drain valves. 

It's important to send some antifreeze out through your gray and black tank gate valves, while working them open and closed a couple of times, to be sure that any water within their mechanism is displaced with antifreeze.

We learned that the hard way, and had to replace one of the valves, because it cracked from freezing water in it.

Also put a cup or two of antifreeze down the shower and sink drains to protect the drain traps.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Ditto to all above.  We're also in the South sound, and do the blow out method.  Took our T@b to Whistler at Thanksgiving last year and while it snowed 4 feet in 3 days at our camp, the temps were so borderline I was tempted to hook up the water.  We didn't, but if I'd had an insulated hose I might have.

Just remember with the blow out method you don't have to leave the Alde in winter mode.  We drain the hot and cold through the floor near the Alde, and the yellow flapper. Once blown out close those back and you are ready the next time you add water.

Nice job on the wood pile Haloo, we have a place in Leavenworth and I only got a cord put up this year.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    Hey hey--you guys know the rules!  :-)

Let's continue the conversation about winter and woodpiles back over to "Idle-Chit-Chat..." I wanna' know about this recent snow business in the PNW. 

2015 T@B S