Options

Red Light On Alde Control Panel

i'n still at a campground in Balmorhea Texas on I-10 awaiting a thaw-any kind.  I see that a red light has appeared on the Alde control panel and after reviewing the manual can't figure out what it means.  Out of propane, on propane, system failure, or what?  Does anyone know?  This is important since we've been parked two nights in 21 degrees.  It's New Years Day and Little Guy is closed.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    When you say control panel...inside on the Alde itself (under the seat)?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    dmassey321dmassey321 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Found this on my instruction sheet for the Alde controller:

Red LED flashes if the voltage to the boiler goes below10,5 V (automatic resetting at higher voltage). Fixed light, the LPG boiler has become blocked (resetting by the central switch for LPG) or overheated (resetting by the main switch of the vehicle).
    The temperature sensors of the boiler could be defective as well (resetting not possible).  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2015
    SgtJohn,

I've passed a pic of the manual for the control panel (sorry, couldn't copy text). You can find the file in the 'Files' section of the Yahoo group at <this link>

The are a couple of conditions listed for the LED, and solutions.

HTH

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2015
    According to a factory contact the red light means that either the propane is not turned on or that the unit isn't getting propane.  Turn off all power going to it so that it resets and try to relight.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    confirming the above...from Scott Hubble (bless his heart for responding on New Years!);

From ed:

Has to do with the propane. Turn off all power going to it so that it resets and try to relight.

Thanks,
    Scott

On Jan 1, 2015 12:49 PM, "John Watson" <woodworkwatson@gmail.com> wrote:
    Scott...
    Are you there?
    A T@B owner camping in Texas has an urgent question...
    John
    Durango

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Yes, there are some wonderful people here.
    i think it's going to be 21 degrees here tonight and many truckers are waiting for the thaw.  One told me he had slowed for someone flagging traffic to slow due to an accident.  All of a sudden the guy flagging began running as fast as could to get off of I-10 and he couldn't figure out why the flagged was running-then he looked in his rear mirror and a semi was sliding sideways toward him but the one in the sliding truck went into the ditch to avoid an accident.  It is treacherous on these icy roads and we've been holed up for four nights in the wee T@B.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    So sorry your holiday has been so altered but I can think f worse places to be stuck.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2015
    Always a good feeling to know that these things worked out.  And Amen, as Scott answered my earlier note too as did Ed Kauffman.  That should let others know about this company and the folks who run it as this is a holiday, and yet they did come through, gave up some of their time and helped another through their unselfish gift of time and effort.....  Glad you folks are warm and safe!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The worse thing about that little red light is it usually comes on at 3am and it's windy/cold. Never happens during the warmer daylight hours for me.
    Even though I have two tanks, I still have to get out there and change them.

One way to make sure the red light is indicating you're out of propane is to light your stove, it won't run long if that's the reason.
  • Options
    Good advice, PXlated!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The first time it happened I didn't have a clue what the red light actually meant - tried the stove and sure enough, no gas.
    Can't recall but doesn't the green light on the fridge go out also (if you're running it on gas) when out?
  • Options
    Yes, the green light will go out on the fridge any time it is not ignited. I learned this when I didn't have enough juice in my battery.

• Options
    We managed to depart  Balmorhea TX and drove 40 mph to Ft Stockton TX and great numbers of RV travelers were in Walmart and other parking lots because all the known RV parks were full(and most stations are out of gas).  We were going to pull in one place but when we parked we foud that our T@B light and other thing quit-including the Alde (I thougt it would run on propane with a little battery power but evidently the battery can't hold a charge.  We did ask a local if there were any RV parks other than in town and he directed us to one not far away with electricity and muddy parking but a least we have electricity and heat.  Tomorrow AM we determine if we should go home or San Antonio.
  • Options
    Wow Sgtjohn - I almost made a turn at Texas - Glad I didn't, that don't sound like fun at all.
  • Options
    SgtJohn, please let Ed Kaufman at Pleasant Valley know about your battery not holding a charge. When I talked to him in the fall he had no clue this was an issue and he really wants to know. I am bringing my T@b back to the factory in early Feb so hopefully they can fix the problem.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

SgtJohn -- I'm so glad you got your Alde running and are safe.  Hope you get your battery operating, too, as that will cause more headaches.  Thanks to the great folks at Little Guy/Pleasant Valley Trailers for their continued support.  Gosh, I thought Texas was a good bet for traveling in the wintertime, but I think every place has been cold and wintery for at least a week now.

Hope all goes well for you and you get back home.

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Wow... Even with the hardships, it sounds like an unforgettable RV experience... I am envious that you are out on the road... I learned valuable info from your posts concerning the alde... Thanks for sharing. Be safe.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Made it home with no dents or accident on the tow vehicle or T@B.  Wow!  We never want to go through another winter storm like we underwent and other RVer's that we made said they'd never put themselves in that situation again. The T@B is very dirty and needs a good wash.  I also found that when ice is in the sewer line-even if it's clean water-do not mess with the line because it will break in cold weather.  Ours did but I patched it enough to get us home.  Met some nice people on the road, a guy with a $300,000 RV that needed to borrow our ceramic heater to thaw out his water system.  By the way, the water hydrant was frozen solid that we needed to connect to and we put a cardboard box over the hydrant with the ceramic heater inside and inside of 30 minutes it was thawed!  It pays to carry an extension cord.  Thanks to all you wonderful people that aided me in many ways during our trip!
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Glad you are home in one piece.  Sounds like quite the adventure!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    So starting with a full propane tank and battery, how long can one expect to live off grid in the winter? Which goes first propane or battery?  Alde for heat and only minimal light usage. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    normfun - At 20-30 degrees I've gotten 5-7 days on the propane. At less than that just 4-5. I have solar so the battery isn't a problem unless it's rainy and overcast. I got two days on the battery when that happened. At about 11.2 on my little meter the Alde shut down, not enough juice to run the pump evidently. You can keep the battery operational by recharging from your TV though (running of course).
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Thanks!
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    PXLated, that is good info, thanks. Was that running Alde, only, or the fridge on propane, too?

• Options
    jenn - That's both Alde and fridge in propane mode.
  • Options
    I should add ... One thing I don't use at all when running strictly on battery - no solar or generator or hookup - is the ceiling fan. That really attacks the battery.
    The only time I turn that on is if I'm hooked to something replenishing power.
  • Options
    I had gasoline in the TV but they were totally out of gas in the town where I had "Alde problems."  Many who came through the pass at Sierra Blanca were nearly out of gas on their arrival and even then, the next town Ft Stockton they were lines up at the few pumps that still had gas.  I agree with the poster that said to have extra gasoline aboard (even though some people may disagree).  A couple of gallons of gas may make the difference between sitting in the cold or getting to somewhere where they have warmth.
    And I did contact Ed K this AM regarding the battery issue, a sagging blind topper in the front window and the ww.tab-RV.com that wants to come off on the back of the T@B.  They'll make it all good I'm sure.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn - Do you have a pic of your sagging blind topper - Mine has a big sag also (on the right side)
  • Options
    I don't yet due to unloading the T@B.  I sent ED K at LG a msg regarding the "swag" and the other items and he said that they are moving and to call 330-556-4146 and that number will route you to the office that will take care of you if your T@B is still under warranty.