Options

The Anti-Freeze Fad

At this point in my research my view is that this anti-freeze business is just propaganda from the service operations and the guys that sell anti-freeze. The fact that the Alde system should not be subject to this makes the process of using the anti-freeze much more complex and difficult to understand, and if the simple air pressure purging approach is suitable for this major segment of the system, why should it not be entirely adequate for the rest of the system?

Reading between the lines it seems apparent that there has been dissension between the Alde and T@B technical and marketing people. Why is Alde so staunchly opposed to anti-freeze? My guess is that winter operation with no hot water function requires that the hot water tank be air filled and preferably vented, and the presence of any liquid, which would expand and contract significantly as the system cycled from inactive with temperatures possibly far below zero to relatively hot as the glycol was heated, mechanically stressing the system, especially if it was relatively full of anti-freeze.

T@B technical and marketing people seem to be between a rock and a hard place, the anti-freeze fad has a lot of push behind it and the Alde people will not bend on warranty issues and believe that their credibility and reputation would suffer from anti-freeze related failures. So T@B has been backed into a corner and introduced this complex and unnecessary system of by-pass valves, and no end of user confusion and doubt.

There is of course a strong element of speculation here, it will be most interesting to read other views and opinions.

Perhaps someone will come forward and explain exactly how the use of anti freeze is beneficial.

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I don't think Alde is opposed to the antifreeze method of winterizing - Page 7 of the Alde 3010 manual, under 'Storage and Winterizing', it says that both the blowout and Antifreeze method are acceptable.  I know this is at odds with the T@B winterizing manual which says you have to futz with the valves.

The by-pass valves are used when sanitizing the system - you don't want bleach in your Alde hot water tank.  It can corrode and weaken the stainless steel.

Personally I agree with you - the blowout method is so much easier, both winterizing and de-winterizing.  I don't have to mess with cleaning out the antifreeze from the lines in the spring!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45

OK, good to know about the bleach, will make note of it.
    The frustrating part of all of this is that there are so many direct and indirect conflicts between statements by various venders, and indeed by the same vender in different places, sometimes in the same document.

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    I have been winterizing water systems in seasonal properties and RVs for many years.  I basically rely on the "blow out" method but...  experience has taught me that there is always remaining water and it can collect in low spots or fittings and can still cause damage when it freezes.  I don't try to leave the systems full of antifreeze but I do run it through the system before the final draining and air purge so any lingering moisture is antifreeze.
    SO, I guess my experience says circulate some antifreeze and then blow the system as clear as possible for the best possibility of avoiding problems .

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    I think the use of antifreeze is more about having an insurance policy than it is following a fad.

I rely on the blowout method only. However, I am confident enough in both my knowledge of plumbing and my skills so that I don't feel the need for such a policy. I can certainly understand why someone else might prefer the peace of mind that comes with using antifreeze, despite the extra work and expense.
    2015 T@B S