Options

Best Small Generator for t@b needs

13»

Comments

• Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    We have a Westinghouse generator, it runs the AC and all lights on, we have had it for close to three years, it still starts first pull every time under 7000 ft and two pulls over 7000 ft. It's got a lower timber sound that makes it seem a bit more quiet than the Honda and at less than half the cost is a best buy in my opinion.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Deltaboy59 , I have a Yamaha 2400i with tri fuel conversion.  We use it occasionally for the T@B but also for back-up at home(refridge, tele., lights), it will run for 24hrs on one 20lb LP tank. Not enough watts for a cool cat start up, but for the smaller 5,000 btu AC's it will work fine. I prefer the LP fuel for both safety of transport and cleaner burning in the engine.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
    Great feedback, I just talked to a neighbor, he has 2 barely used Yamaha(s) 2KW, EF2000iSV2 for sale, asking about $500 apiece, after hearing the feedback I think I will get one. The size, weight (44lbs)  and 52 DB are all major factor for us. After the feedback in this forum I am probably feeling good about the Yes to picking up one. So far I have been able to run the camper, T@B 320S, for us on 15A  feeds from time to time, (Without incident). Love the crosstalk. Hoping to get away from the commercial sites a little more and into the quieter places.  Self contained and Solar cover most of the basics for convenience but the extra backup is always a good thing.  
    Starry Nights and Campfires to you all. 
    2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
    2019 T@B 320 S 

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    edited May 2021
    Op, Try putting your tread title into Google.  Read all the reviews.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    TBullardTBullard Member Posts: 20
    I have the Westinghouse.  Has worked great for two years.  I only use it for tailgating when shore power is not available.
    Range Rover Sport HSE TV - Charlotte, NC
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Our need is to charge the batteries (2 6V) quickly when Sun stays hidden for too many days. So in discussion w/ our mechanical engineers at work, our idea is to mount a very small gas engine and car alternater/battery charger together and run if for about 1 hr a day to recharge our batteries during lunch or dinner. We have no need of a 120V inverter generator, a 1 HP gas motor should work. Anybody know of a small gas motor?
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,589
    MarkAl said:
    Our need is to charge the batteries (2 6V) quickly when Sun stays hidden for too many days. So in discussion w/ our mechanical engineers at work, our idea is to mount a very small gas engine and car alternater/battery charger together and run if for about 1 hr a day to recharge our batteries during lunch or dinner. We have no need of a 120V inverter generator, a 1 HP gas motor should work. Anybody know of a small gas motor?

Sorry @MarkAl sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel.

Just buy a cheap/basic/china gas generator . . . or triple your solar panel capacity.

After one adventure with low battery voltage (could not run Alde) due to limited sun & very small solar I purchased additional solar panels and a small/cheap generator.  Have used the generator 3-times in 2 years and one of those was just to confirm I could run it and get power.

So if you need 'power insurance' get yourself a cheap generator . . . it's like a spare tire, only thankful for it when you really need it
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited May 2021
    I think you (they) may be surprised at how hard an alternator is to turn while putting out 45 to 60 amps. And to come up with some kind of package that is handy is going to take time and effort, which costs money too. For about $500.00 you can get a Predator from Harbor Freight, in fact I think that they have a 1400 watt available now for even less. By a 1 year warranty and get a new one every year you wish to buy the warranty. 

I have had 2, a 2000 watt and now a 3500 watt for our 400 BDL. They do everything others do. In fact the 3500 watt was rated higher than Honda 3000 watt for several years on Consumer Reports. I no longer have a subscription but the last time I looked it was within 2 points of Honda.

P.S. I don't work for Harbor Freight nor am I compensated for what I am saying. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2021
    @Dutch061 ... Thinking about buying the 2000W and found this video to convert to propane. A bit pricey at $244, but might be worth it.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    @AnOldUR , I had seen the conversion before. I have zero issues hauling ethanol free gas in a metal can. With the modifications I made to the converter and location it doesn't take that much generator run time to get a solid charge as needed.

They also make a remote start kit for those models (like mine) with an electric start. 

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Not inventing a wheel, just a smaller one but yeah, not many choices for a 4 stroke 1 hp and it's not cost effective new. If I had an old Honda weed eater motor I'm sure it'd work in a very small light weight package but you can't beat the mass produced 2000 watt Inverters out there. It's overkill and heavier than I need but they aren't that cumbersome. So now it'll be a generator - battery charger - battery combo. Using the trailer's marginal converter to charge the batteries quickly won't happen as it's too slow. It's only needed really for some winter and rain forest trips. The AC is removed and only reinstalled for planned trips to hot climes with hook ups (rare) so we don't have any need for 120V. We are in the minority.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The fix to get the batteries to charge properly with 120 volt shore power is really related to a couple of factors.

1. Location of converter to the batteries
    2. The gauge of wiring used between the converter and the batteries

On our 2020 400 BDL, the converter was located in the power distribution at the front curb side of the camper and the batteries are under the bed in the rear. The gauge of the wiring between the power center and the batteries is probably 8 gauge (just a guess). This causes too much resistance which allows the "detected voltage" on the factory WFCO converter to read higher than the bulk charging voltage immediately. When this happen, it automatically moves into the floating charge rate. So, this is what I done.

1. I removed the WFCO
    2. I installed a Progressive Dynamics converter 9200 series with a pendant
    3. I used 4 gauge battery cables to connect the converter to the main power distribution block about 16 inches away

What this does is it eliminates the resistance caused by wire size and the distance which prevents the voltage from going up immediately so the "Bulk Charge Mode" will actually work. I also have a pendant with a button to force it into the "Boost Mode" for up to 4 hours at a time at 14.4 volts which is safe for all battery types. This will also allow me to properly charge Lithium batteries when I upgrade. 

Before the change, it would take 36 hours to charge the batteries. Now I can go from 30% (I have the Harris 6 volt AGM Batteries) to 90% in less than 4 hours every time. Since we almost camp entirely without hookups, it is imperative that I can get it done quickly. Yes, I have 192 watts of solar but in NC we have tree cover quite often, which of course is preferred to being in the full sun.

Not sure if anyone wanted this information but it will resolve the charging issue for anyone who does it.

Thanks to @rh5555 for the information share from all of his testing and legwork on this! 

Brad

Concord, NC