Options

New Owners - First Flight

Hi all. My wife and I picked up our new 2018 320S on Saturday December 2nd from Sun City Trailers in Colorado Springs. We immediately headed back up the road and spent our first night camping out at Chatfield State Park SW of Denver. Since Sun City had winterized it already, it was essentially dry camping, although we had electricity and heat. Loved every second of it and can't wait for more adventures.

I have two things on my must do list: the first is the spare tire and I went the route GlennBeck chose. I hope to get that installed this week. Second is finding something to replace the hideously, way-to-bright porch light. 24 leds? We do a lot of camping at dark sky sites for astronomy and this light isn't going to cut it. So looking for a smaller, dimmer alternative.

We're really enjoying the discussions on the forum. It gives us things to think about for the next trip!

Mark and Alice

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    Welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Welcome. Have you looked at solar motion sensing deck lights that aim the light downward?  I put my solar lights in the sun during the day, unless the door side happens to be on the sun side.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome! Did you bring your kitten along? Yep, that porch light won't work for night-sky camping. I'm sure those who've defeated it will chime in, in the mean time, if you haven't already, search on porch light-lots of matches and some are even relevant.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    aliceandmarkaliceandmark Member Posts: 3
    Thanks twojgrams, I will. The cats haven't come along yet. We're trying to leash train them so they can be 'Adventure Cats' but they're not really interested. Yet.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    That's what I like about campers-we're all optimists! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Someone mentioned putting red taillight repair tape in the inside of the porch light lens. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    aliceandmarkaliceandmark Member Posts: 3
    The 2018 model I have doesn't have a lens as such. Instead it's a strip of white leds, 24 in total. I'll get a picture of it and post.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    You have the same light as they have placed for several models now.  Red tail light repair tape is the answer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,654
    I have the same light over my door.  I carry some photo "106 red gel filter" sheets for flashlights when I'm out for stars.    On the door light,  the gel does knock down the brightness quite a bit, and is useful for that purpose.  I've never tested it for night vision.   I'm usually away from the trailer anyway, and I leave the light off.
    Good luck with the "Adventure Cats!"

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    I found on amazon  12v dream lighting amber  water/proof porch light...  $19.00  9.84 inches long ...  just looking .. now.   i think this will work...    i have a 2017 cs-s max   That porch light  they put on the 320,s is a bug/nat magnet
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome! Great day to get a T@B! Or maybe not. I aged up then hehe.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    congrats and welcome to the nuCamp family....
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,654
    One my second big trip a couple of years ago I went to Grandview Campground, at 8600 feet in the Inyo Mountains east of Bishop, CA.  It is a popular dark sky spot, and even though the moon was a bit of a bother, there were a couple of groups with scopes, etc.  There was a group from a local college, and they were quite enthused to see the Tab and try to imagine it hollowed out with a decent sized telescope out of the roof.  A perfect traveling observatory......
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi