Options

Do you think this will work for our son?

CendeyCendey Member Posts: 2
Our son just graduated from college this weekend and will pick up where he left off as a pro golfer in August.  I am wondering if you, as experienced teardroppers, you feel our plan to get him a T@b 400 will work. We have zeroooooooooo experience with any type of RVing. He would be spending an average of 16 nights in a hotel per month , so we thought why not tote his own room to the tournaments. He will be traveling around the mid south area and staying 3to 5 nights at each site, before stopping at home between to dump and get clean clothes and food. Our idea is he would just park at the country club and boondock. He would be on the course all day and just needs somewhere to shower, eat sleep and relax until the next day.  We have seen players with Class c and even sleeping in their cars in the lots. What do you think? Can we make this work?  Instead of just throwing away thousands in hotel stays why not be putting that towards owning an awesome trailer we can use at a later time! What else will we need to purchase because his most important needs will be AC , Tv and Computer (he is 22 haha). Thank you for any suggestions. Oh and he is comfortable towing as he has towed a duck boat and trailer for years.

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    If he's "boondocking" at the club...I assume no 120vac or water hookup, thus no air conditioning and only limited water for showers...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    He would have to learn how to manage the trailer on a day to day basis:  towing, setup, power usage, water usage, troubleshooting, sleeping arrangements....I could go on.  After learning all that I bet a 400 would be great.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Some generators support AC.  Will the clubs allow that kind of noise?  Don’t the clubs have shower facilities?  That would help with water and tank conservation.  What about finding a local park - nightly cost still less than a hotel and he could have hook ups.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Sheesh, Tabaz--you beat me to it...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Tabaz & @ScottG, I'm thinkin' there will be a line for that one! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    @ericnliz move over bud you're in my spot in line, and I'm cuter! =)
    @Cendey I think that is a great idea! What an exciting time in life for all of you, too!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    I would think that he'd need a generator for this scheme to work. Will the clubs let him run a generator in the parking lot? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    CendeyCendey Member Posts: 2
    I will have him call the club' hosting the tourneys and ask about generators! Any other accessories you can think of that we will definitely need? Thanks yall!! And not currently looking to adopt hahah as he is the last one still on "payroll"!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Backup propane tank, tongue and wheel locks, grill, hooks for inside the cabin, tank cleaning supplies, sewer hose, water hose and containers, solar ?, where do you stop
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Best bet would be to outfit him like he's going to have access to shore power and water, with a surge protector, extension cords, 25" of hose plus maybe a second 25' extra hose, a water pressure regulator, sewer hose and security devices like wheel and or hitch locks etc. Then he's got options-if a course doesn't allow overnighters at all, but there's a park-federal, state, county or city nearby with campsites and partial or full hookups, he's ready to go that route. Or he can dry camp onsite as allowed. And he  makes a list of the locations he'll be playing and a list of questions to ask of the clubhouse managers, then he'll know if and or where he needs to scout out campsites. He's lucky to have these things to explore! It sounds perfect for a golf pro! Maybe there're even forums for these folks where all of these questions have been asked and answered already, one can only hope!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    If he wants cable TV, he'll need a Tailgator and receiver ($500): Air conditioning requires a 2,000 Watt generator ($500 to $1,000):  the only computer connection will be the club's WIFI or a portable dish ($19,000 per truck camper magazine). I agree with the previous post about others who follow these tournaments, there must be a ton of information out there on how to make this work. Alternatively, you can disown your son and adopt me. My student loans are paid off and I would use my monthly Social Security checks to offset your generous allowance. I have no expensive hobbies (golf), and would dutifully take out the trash and mow the lawn. Truly a "Win-Win" for all concerned.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I already own a T@B, so you'd be saving an additional $40,000 on not having to buy that 400.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    400 owners or anyone who knows, how do you level the 400? It looks so big to me.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Cendey said:
    I will have him call the club' hosting the tourneys and ask about generators! Any other accessories you can think of that we will definitely need? Thanks yall!! And not currently looking to adopt hahah as he is the last one still on "payroll"!
    One thing to consider is that some of the larger PGA golf venues probably do have locker rooms and shower facilities.  Inasmuch as the 400 does have a shower and gray water tank, your son could minimize the need to use the shower in the 400 exclusively, thus eliminating the need to dump the gray water tank more frequently.  If you know the circuits in advance you could easily find this information and possibly even consider using a nearby campground or locate a facility that would allow him to empty the holding tanks as needed.   A small generator such as a Honda would run the AC but would also mean he'd need to carry fuel in the tow vehicle, etc.  If you had a 30 amp hook-up nearby the rest would be easy.  

Wish Santa would leave a new 400 for me!    =):o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Twojgrams said:
    400 owners or anyone who knows, how do you level the 400? It looks so big to me.
    Leveling blocks. Easy peasy. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    MudsharkMudshark Member Posts: 21
    What a wonderful idea! If you include the solar package chances are he could maintain the battery level. You will also find out that resale value on these units are very good, so after he wins a couple tour events you won't be out a ton of money!
    2016 T@b M@x CS-S White with black trim. 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. White Lake Mi.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Not to be a stick in the mud but....most young players are not on the tour very long....if they have the putting yips, one or two years is about it..if they make a run at it after a few years money starts coming in to help pay for expenses..but for most that time never comes. Some of the successful shooters will head to Asia to play and try and make a career out of it...but the first year will probably tell it all.
    Putting $30,000 plus into a T@B seems like an extravagant way to help him out. If there isn't an existing tow vehicle the cost of the trailer is just the beginning.

For less than $10,000 there are lot's of lightly used 16 and 18 foot campers available that will come fully equipped. These will provide inside seating and cooking, will have room for his buddies (or GF) to come over and hang out etc. A used F150 will tow the thing like it's not even there... service on both will be available just about everywhere and if the pro gig doesn't work out, there's not a huge sunk investment to deal with.
    If he does make the cut and money starts to come in you can be pretty sure that the convenience of staying in a hotel and having someone else cook will become more interesting than boon-docking in a parking lot.
    Players do not spend all of their time practicing and playing...there are large amounts of time were they need to be able to have a place to comfortably hang out....a T@B (any small trailer) could really start to close in after few months.
    Not to discourage helping him out, but what is his opinion about this?
  • Options
    Tabiphile - I will definitely not be sending my adoption papers to you. Your comments are sound, articulate, and based on self-reliance. All things I was hoping to avoid. Thanks a lot pal!
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Tabaz said:
    Tabiphile - I will definitely not be sending my adoption papers to you. Your comments are sound, articulate, and based on self-reliance. All things I was hoping to avoid. Thanks a lot pal!

Darn, I had all kinds of jobs lined up for you, the lawn, leaves, weeding, vacuuming, splitting and stacking wood...let me know if you change your mind =)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Geesh @tabiphile ... you sound just like my Mom and Dad rolled into one!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)