Leveling

2»

Comments

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2019
    @jkjenn, can you share what that bluetooth leveling device was?  I'd also like to know more.
    Nevermind, I found your article about it at www.jenngrover.com
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    edited November 2019
    Well, not wanting to spend $140 for the Levelmate bluetooth remote leveling device, I plan to try this cheaper 1.5" square sensor device..

$25 on Amazon..  (Android only)
    WitMotion BWT61CL Bluetooth MPU-6050 MPU6050 Gyro+Accelerometer (+-2g/4g/8g/16g) 6-Axis Digital Acceleration Sensor (TTL Serial 100HZ Output) 3-Axis Triple-Axis Gyroscope Module Tilt Angle for Arduino 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRPKDV9

I've tested it with the following $1.99 Android app on my Galaxy Note8 phone & it seems to work fine..  

Here's a screenshot from my phone..

I leveled the sensor, saved the readings as "Trailer Level", then tilted it "forward" slightly (i.e., to the right as shown in first image, to simulate how it would be if mounted on the wall above the sink, with tongue lowered); so that the front-rear meter would indicate that I needed to raise the front of the trailer.  For this sensor mounting orientation on the wall, the app settings had to be set to "Bottom Edge" for the Orientation setting.

You can save whatever target level position you like & name it whatever you like.  For example, after unhitching, save that position in the app while the coupler is an inch above the hitch ball as "Hitching" or whatever.  Then when hitching up, you can select that desired angle to jack up the tongue to that target unlevel "level" position for hitching up without any trial & error.

I haven't yet installed this in our T@B, so will have to field test to see how useful it will really be, but looks promising.  I plan to mount it high up on the wall above the sink, as it comes with a 6" USB charging cable that plugs into the device, and there is a USB charging outlet in that location under the cabinet.  It has a 150mAHr battery, and probably wouldn't last more than a few hours, so that location is convenient for plugging in. It has a power switch too, but very tiny. 

Has anyone else tried this device & app?

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2019
    Thanks @BrianZ, for hunting this alternative down!

Is the Bluetooth range adequate to reach the cab of the TV?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited November 2019
    Excellent point, @ChanW, and my biggest question that remains to be answered when I get a chance to actually mount it inside the trailer & test from outside & from inside the TV.  Mounting location could be very important, as would the strength of the bluetooth transmitter. 

I noticed the bluetooth is version 2.0 and works at a frequency of 100Hz and baud rate of 115200 Kbps, for what that's worth.  I believe this is an older version of bluetooth, which I presume is what limits it to Android only, but limits range compared to the latest version.  Range is supposed to be up to 30 ft, depending on obstacles.  I hope to use it mostly from behind the T@B where our leveling jacks are, and at the tongue jack of course, but it would be nice if it worked from the driver's seat too.  We shall see; I don't know when, but will report back here.

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Lots of BT won't work with iOS, Apple has historically had that clamped down pretty tight, I suspect that is why Android only. 3rd party devices work better with open Android vs closed iOS. Not familiar with what is going on in Appleland currently, but I know that was case 2-4 years ago. The tight control is both good and bad, the good is if you buy all Apple products, it just works, the bad is there are tons of 3rd party devices that don't work.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    edited November 2019
    Ok, so I installed my new bluetooth inclinometer..

I decided not to put it on the wall, but more towards the center, for two reasons:
    1.  I figured it would be less likely to have line-of-sight obstructions being more in front of the window - fewer walls, especially when at the rear driver side jack (shower corner).  A spare plugin USB transformer made this a better option with the short power cable, at least temporarily for testing until I can build a longer cable to reach the built in USB socket for use on battery power.
    2.  This bottom-down orientation allows use of the X & Y axes, as there seems to be a question in the literature about the accuracy of the Z axis - see specs above & next image from manufacturer's site.  I've tried multiple different orientations using Z axis & haven't noticed any issues.

You can see the tiny switch that turns on the bluetooth, which blinks blue or steady when sync'd.  The red led lights when plugged in, until charged, then goes out.

This is the view on my phone after saving this level setting for current orientation I named as shown at the bottom of the screen.  It's a long name, but turning sideways works, since it limits the list of names to one line each.
    To start, I turn on the sensor device switch, then turn on my phone's bluetooth, pair the device if not already paired, then open the app.  The device is named HC-06, which can be selected from the dropdown list of paired devices at upper right.  Then after selecting the correct orientation in settings (see below for help on that) a level setting can be zeroed & saved at the bottom right.

I was able to maintain the connection walking all around the T@B & sitting in the car parked next to it, not hooked up - haven't actually done full testing until spring. 

When I grabbed the T@B's corner handles & tried to forcefully shake it, I could see the pink ball vibrate & at times I could see the degrees indicator change very briefly to 0.1, and an up arrow appeared briefly over the left/right or front/rear, depending on which end I shook.  So this tells me the response is quick.

I'm not sure yet how well it can establish the initial connection from a distance or within the car, but once established within a short distance, even outside the trailer, it seems to maintain the connection quite well.  Inside the house I tested it at 30ft with a wall in between & it worked fine.

In case anyone wants to try this on the wall, here are the app's orientation settings ("bottom edge", "left edge", "top edge") that I found will work for the wall mountings shown.  Number 4 is what I'm using.  The setting shown for #5 may actually be for the upside down version of what is shown.  I originally inserted that one in the corner for reference to see the xyz axes more clearly.

The app is fairly simple to use with this sensor, but there are some optional settings that are supposed to allow using an old phone as the remote sensor, which I've ignored.  I'm only using the setting for orientation, which is required.

Here you can see the settings I've saved for testing different orientations.  You can use the down arrow to select a different setting, like the tongue position for an inch above the ball for rehitching, the diskette for saving a current position to return to, or trash to delete a saved setting. 

Looking forward to using this, as it looks promising.

• rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    @BrianZ
    Thanks for the info on the Remote Level app and your comment regarding "...some optional settings that are supposed to allow using an old phone as the remote sensor..." Downloaded and installed the app on my Note 8 and S3. It worked great using the Note 8 as remote sensor sending to the S3. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work the other way around. Our T@B is in storage right now, but we're planning on going over to the Mendocino coast in a couple of weeks (weather permitting). Looking forward to doing some field testing.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
    edited February 2019
    Glad you found a way to make the two phone method work, @rajamar.  I tried using my wife's Note8's with mine but could not get them paired to work.  Thanks for pointing out that using two phones is a viable alternative, and really the primary purpose of the app.  In fact, I had envisioned using a phone's sensor as a remote device when I first went looking for an app to do that & actually found one.

Sorry, I may have misrepresented the app by saying the method of pairing two phones was an option, as it's really the other way around & the external hard-wired sensor is the optional method.  In any case, while using two phones is cheaper & can work with the right phones, it doesn't always work (& may work better with two different androids?).
    I prefer having a permanently installed sensor to save some work & keep the sensor in the exact same place with reference to the trailer, so the only change in level detected will be due to a change in the trailer's position & not the sensor (unless my cabinets come loose 😉).

Also, there is another similar bluetooth version of the sensor device from the same company that is $5 cheaper, but it has no case, battery, switch, or cable, just the circuit board.  So, if you want something to hardwire & customize the installation yourself that's an option too, but it's not "plug & play" like the BWT61CL model that I used.

We are still using this device routinely.

My wife actually enjoys leveling now, as she holds my phone & tells me what to adjust & when to stop.  Establishing the initial bluetooth connection can be an issue sometimes, so we generally set it up at close range, then keep the phone in one spot within 15 ft for best result, but I've had no problem maintaining connection while at the tongue Jack or while fine tuning the rear right & left scissor Jack's.

I've had mixed results maintaining a connection from the driver's seat, and initiating a connection from inside the TV can be a challenge.  It seems to work best if the initial connection is made from close range. 

It is nice to not have to mess with bubble levels, or to run back & forth to look at it if you're doing it alone.

It's also very handy to be able to save a setting for raising the tongue to the unhitched position for hitching up, so there is no guesswork - just go there immediately as indicated in the app.
  • davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Leveling is more important for RVs with absorption type refrigerators, i.e. those that can run on propane, generally. Although modern refrigerators are more tolerant of out of level attitude the ammonia compound used in these refrigerators can boil off when the reservoir has a too shallow level in one end. This can cause ammonia compound deposits to clog up some of the small tubing used in the system. Leveling isn't about having perfection but about having a reasonably level RV. Other advantages, as already mentioned here are doors that operate properly and not having all of the blood running to your head from sleeping in a head down position. 
    Thanks, @davel4wa, I've often wondered what exactly was the adverse effect & the mechanism involved with an unlevel fridge.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Brian, interesting data for sure and had to smile when you mentioned that your wife was part of the equation and was interested in the process and helped out by giving you readings on the phone.  Linda lets me know that I better get going and level the trailer up after backing into a site as “she’s walking up hill” getting things set up inside the trailer.  🤣  A sure sign that I’m either slacking or just then unhooking the safety chains from the trailer.  

I don’t miss the 3-way frig in our former 320 as the 400 frig works fine so when attaining level about the only concern these days with the new trailer is ensuring that water leaving the shower area flows directly into the drain and that Linda isn’t walking up hill or sleeping with her feet pointed up to the ceiling. 😂  She’s a good sport and also helps out by installing wheel chocks, grabbing and handing me the plastic stabilizer pads or an extra leveling pad.  

Once you attain “side to side” level on any trailer the rest is a piece of cake.  Small affixed levels at the front of the trailer (one in the front tongue and the other mounted up high in the tub) have worked well for me and I even have a spare smaller level tucked in the tub just in case.  Once people figure out the process it’s easy and I have helped some new owners along the way who were perplexed by it all, but once you unhook, screw up by leveling front to back first and then realize you didn’t level the trailer side to side first it hits home immediately, especially if you went ahead and deployed the front and rear stabilizer legs!  😱🤣😀😂

Thanks again for sharing your efforts and taking the time to post up your work and data via pictures as it is neat stuff and very interesting how that system works and how far the technology has come.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ