Options

For New T@bbers: What do I need to get? (T@b supply list)

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

We will likely have an influx of new people with camping season around the corner and people starting to get their T@bs. About a year ago, it was me, getting ready to order my T@b. I felt like I really needed to search many threads and forums to create a list of things that I would probably need to get to use my T@b so I thought, "Why not make a thread where we can share with new T@bbers everything they might want to get?"

I purchased many of my own supplies prior to the arrival of my T@b mostly via Amazon and some via Camping World. There are no RV dealers close to me and not even any great camping type stores, so online works better and I usually save some money.

So, here is my list- please add your own ideas. Let's try to keep this thread to the essentials and avoid discussions on specific brands or which options are best or even "how to" discussions as there are many other threads that cover those.

Leveling

You need some way to level your T@b. The stabilizers on your T@b were not meant to be used to raise the T@b, just to stabilize. There are 2 different routes you can go. Search the forums to learn the pros and cons for each.

• BAL Level - placed under a tire. If you go this route, many choose to use a pizza delivery bag to store the BAL in to keep it from getting dirt/grease on other things during transport.  
  • "Lego" Style leveling blocks - you add and remove to the correct height; requires you to drive the T@b onto the blocks. These can be used to level your trailer front to back when connect to the TV or front to back and side to side.
  • Anderson Level

Sewer

You can get by with just a hose, but there are some tools that will make it easier. Here are the things I have and have actually used over the last year. For information on how to empty your tanks, ask your dealer to do a walk-through and also search YouTube.
  • Disposable Gloves - You really want these.
  • Sewer hose - the one that came with my T@b was pretty short. I like the Rhinoflex with the sewer elbow and end caps.
  • Semi-translucent elbow - goes into sewer receptacle. Let's you know stuff is moving. This is included if you get the Rhinoflex kit
  • Flush King or similar elbow - connects to the tank, then hose connects to elbow. This is clear so you can see stuff moving and also has an attachment for a garden hose so that you can properly rinse the black tank. This will prevent your T@b from smelling of sewer. I did this faithfully and to date, I have not had an issue with odors.'
  • Hose Risers - Camco makes some and it allows your hose to lie at a slope to help keep stuff moving.
  • Sewer cleanout plug wrench - occasionally, a dump station will have a really difficult to remove cap - this wrench saved the day for me once, already.
  • Dedicated garden hose for rinsing the black tank - I keep a hose that's sole purpose is to rinse out the black tank
  • Toilet paper - some people opt to use special toilet paper geared towards RVs that dissolves faster
Water

Some people choose to drink water from the T@b fresh water tank and some prefer to use bottled water, the choice is up to you.
  • A drinking water hose - meant for drinking, the plastic is different
  • A water pressure regulator - my T@b came with one, but I had already purchased my own. I like having two.
  • A water filter - there are various types out there. I chose a Camco inline water filter
  • Faucet Aerator - many (including me) have found the kitchen faucet on the inside of the T@b too close to the back of the sink to work very well without getting water splashed onto the counter. A simple, inexpensive faucet aerator fixes the problem and gives you the ability to angle your water stream.
Safety & Security

The degree that you want to secure your T@b varies by person, some go with a minimal set up, other do more. Most everyone agrees that no lock is 100% perfect and could be worked around by a committed thief, but it might slow them down or draw attention to them. Your T@b comes equipped with smoke and CO2 monitors.
  • Chocks - you will want to chock your wheels to keep your T@b from rolling away!
  • Tongue Chock - when you are on soft ground,m this will prevent your jockey will from getting buried into the ground, particularly when you need to raise or lower it.
  • Receiver  lock - stops someone from removing your receiver pin your hitch from your TV and taking of with it and/or your T@b
  • Hitch Pin Lock - goes into the holes where your hitch pin fits. Stops someone from unlatching your hitch while connected to the TV or while it is parked alone and driving off with it.
  • Coupler lock - goes into the couple to prevent someone from connecting to the coupler on your trailer.
  • Wheel chock lock - many brands available. Acts as a wheel chock and puts a lock on your T@b wheel.
  • GPS locator - several companies have a GPS tracking device that can be added to your RV.
  • Jack stabilizer pads - These look similar to the Lego style leveling blocks but are meant to prevent your stabilizer jacks from either sinking into the ground (and getting stuck) as well as to protect the surface below your trailer. It is courteous to deploy these when overnight parking or camping on a paved site. 
Electrical
  • 30 amp cord - My T@b came with one, it might be wise to have a second in the event you have long reach from your site to the outlet.
  • Pigtails - allows your 30 amp T@b to connect to other outlets (110v for house, 15 amp, 50 amp, 30 amp to 30 amp - to connect 2 - 30 amp cords
  • Surge Protector - can protect you from reversed polarity or other faulty wiring that could fry your T@b's power system. There are inline models that you can connect to your power cord, or you can permanently install one next to your converter. Most people recommend Progressive industries.
  • Fuses - one of the first things to check if something isn't working right into he T@b. Here is an excellent thread with a Fuse Inventory: http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/163/fuse-inventory/p1
  • Voltmeter  - helpful for testing any charging or electrical issues. There are 2 types - one that is like what you would plug into a cigarette outlet and the one that has 2 prongs that you would use around the house. I have found them both useful.
Tools

There are many other things you can use to outfit your T@b, like rugs, curtains, awnings, tents, but I think these cover more or less the essentials.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Levels stuck to your T@B - one on the front, one on the side. I use the lego blocks and each tick-mark on the levels equals one lego block. If you don't unhook, you can raise the tongue to level by using the legos under the TV. Slick little system.
  • Options
    PXLated, good point - you need some way to tell if you are level, where it be the stick on levels, an app on your phone or another kind.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Jenn and PXLated - great compilation of necessities. I will be one of the new campers this year and also have begun purchasing items beforehand (bins are starting to pile up in my bedroom - lol!). There are many things on your list I still need to purchase so I'm going to copy it into a Word doc and print it out. Thanks for doing this!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Regarding the square drivers, both a #2 and #3 are needed
  • Options
    mickietucs - Don't get too carried away ;-)
    I've given away more stuff that I thought would work or that I needed to only find out that they didn't quite meet my expected needs. I'm only now - two months into full time in the T@B - where I have a good handle on what I need and where I need to store it. We all end up with slightly different needs as we all have different routines.
    There's somethings you absolutely need though (levelers, dump hoses, etc)
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Good job Jenn.  I agree with your list.  I LOVE my BAL leveler; it is so much easier to use than the lego ones!! 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    jbug10 - What did you find problematic with the legos? I just look at my levels, throw down the legos and drive onto them.
    Doesn't the BAL just do left/right, side to side leveling?
  • Options
    The BAL does side to side and the tongue jack does front to back. I am a big fan of the BAL leveler, too. The guy in the Airstream next to me was impressed with it and was ready to dump his blocks for one.

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I tried the BAL leveller and liked it in soft dirt as I could get it in far enough to lift the trailer, however on hard ground or a paved pad it would not fit around the tire properly. I returned it and purchased the Andersen 3694 leveller. http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3604--camper-leveler.aspx
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    There are different size BAL levelers. I have never had a problem on hard surfaces.

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Jenn, Could you please let me know the model number you have? When I contacted BAL I was advised that they only have one size. Ray
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options

• Options
    Jenn - That's what I thought, it only works if you unhitch and therefore have use of the tongue jack. 75% of the time I remain hitched. The legos work in any situation. I'm betting I can be completely leveled out before you can get the BAL rigged into position :-)
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Ha!  I sense a new contest for the Rolling Home Rally.  Too funny.  I, personally, am a fan of the lego-type style levelers.  Too funny.  To each his own.  I bought the yellow lego-type levelers as a newbie for my first year (definitely cheaper) and they worked just fine. 

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    edited January 2015

PXLated, I might pick up some of those Lego style ones this year for the times I remain hitched. Thanks for the suggestion. Truthfully, I believe I only remained hitched one night, and I did regret not leveling the T@b as it caused the A/C to leak and it was very hot and humid. For unhitched, I find the BAL great because you can really fine tune your set up.

PXLated do you ever need more than 4 blocks when hitched? Where do you have your levels located?

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I'm looking to pick up a level or two of some sort. Any recommendations as to the type and where to place them?  I kind of like the large ones that are designed for fifth wheels, but don't know if they would be appropriate. 

Just ts got my first shipment from Amazon today. 25' 5/8" potable water hose, 15' Rhino sewer hose and 5' extension and 15' Sidewinder sewer hose support (slinky type). It's just like Christmas all over. 

My dealer provided me with a starter kit, but to be honest, aside from the toilet paper, nothing was worth using. We were going to use the sewer hose, but my wife and I could not get then hose fitted on to the coupler for anything. It was as if the hose was slightly too small to fit. We could not help laughing as we tried and tried. In addition the hose was too short to be useful and I am sure it would develop a leak within the first few uses. I plan on returning the kit in exchange for something that is actually useful. The point here is don't go cheap. Camping should be relaxing and fun. Struggling with poor quality products that fail on the first go, is not the way to go. After all, we bought our T@B's for their quality and thoughtful design. They are certainly not the least expensive trailer on the market.

Happy shopping...
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Wanderoo - Contest? Boy, there's lots of little contests one could have at a rally :-)

Jenn - Rarely need more than two side-to-side or one front to back. My set came in a little zipper case with nine red blocks.
    For side-to-side though if I need one I put two down end-to-end. If I need two I use three, two down, one on top. Makes it easier to back onto them.
    For front-to-back, I add evenly to each side as needed. Most times they are under the Jeep's rear tires to raise the tongue.
    The worst I ever had was four high on one side. T@B and Jeep - BLM boondocks - Didn't have enough blocks to ramp up to that height, used rocks. Took awhile to get up and balanced. Would have gone somewhere else but the sun was setting and didn't want to setup in the dark. I now have a rule, get to a campsite at least an hour before it gets dark so you can see and switch spots.

My levels are on the left front corner (front/side). I can actually see the front one while sitting in the TV. They have tick marks that seem to match the number on blocks I'll need. If the bubble is to the left one notch I'll need one block under the right tire. Once you get the system down you can quickly retrieve the exact number of blocks you'll need and get them laid down.

I sometimes use the extras under the stabilizers depending on the ground conditions.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh, that's' a good point, PXLated...I am going to edit the OP. Jack stabilizer pads and a to tongue chock should also be on the list!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    PXLated - I tried to concentrate my shopping on the essentials (but of course got sidetracked and bought some "goodies" that I think will work - we'll see when I start organizing when Isl@nd Girl arrives!).

Has anyone every tried this type of leveler and chock? Thought it looked like it would work well).

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mickietucs - That's similar to the system I use (mine are red)
    I have a different chock though - can be used like your picture but doesn't have that special chock block (lego). I rarely chock on the side with the leveler blocks. I put it on the opposite side, one in front and one behind the wheel.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited January 2015
    I have done the backing up, adding levelers under the wheels with my RV and  wanted something easier with this rig  I picked up the BAL leveler.  Just park, level front to rear with the the jack wheel then slip on the BAL leveler and adjust to taste,also works as a chock.

• Options
    Rad, I am with you, although I am glad PXLated shared his idea for when you stay hooked to th TV.

• Options
    I guess I just don't find backing up onto the Legos that difficult - usually nail it the first try. The BAL looks like more work to me :-)
    But, everybody needs to find what works, and is easiest for them. One size doesn't fit all.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I would add two things to the list:
              Emergency candles.  If nothing works, you can still see and get around (they sit at the bottom of one of the drawers I added).
              Duck tape.  When everything else fails, duck tape it and it should work. 

I'm also a big fan of permanent stabilizer pads (picture below).  I just attached them to the stabilizers and crank down when I arrive...  Never needed anything else and like most things I've implemented, permanent so I don't have to keep track of them.  

I'm a lego block kind of guy (i can break them up and stuff them in obscure little places when I need them), but I have an old t@b which really doesn't need me to be very level (so I just make sure that it level enough so things don't roll off the counter.)

I have a level installed on T@B but have taken to just using my iPhone as the bubble level (IHandy Level is a free app but I sprung for IHandy Carpenter because I like the surface level).

I understand why there is so much security listed above, but I just use the AL-Ko lock and a cheap universal coupler lock under the assumption that if they really want it, I'll likely not stop them, so I just want something that makes them work to get it.

My motto is "minimize stuff" -- travel light and create a permanent solution so you don't have to keep track of things or have a big box for the stuff (I jettisoned the box to haul T@B "stuff" long ago-- actually store everything in a small garbage can in the LP cover, since I moved my two batteries into the wheel wells to lower the tongue weigh -- sealed AGM's to limit gassing issues).  Finally, when in doubt, I try to make sure my stuff can use AA batteries to make life easier (all my lights, speakers, SLR cameras, phone recharger, and flashlights are run off rechargeables, that get recharged in my tow vehicle and tossed back into a small battery holder in the cabinet above the counter).  All may explain why I'm also a permanent solar advocate.  [then again it's probably all because I'm not much of one for organizing stuff -- I've got enough to worry about fitting my necessary stuff into a really small trailer as it is].  I've spent about 5 months in the past two years in the thing and this has encouraged me to get really efficient.
  • Options
    "this has encouraged me to get really efficient" - I know that feeling. It's amazing how your wants/needs change. And, how disorganized you really are when you first start.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    "this has encouraged me to get really efficient" - I know that feeling. It's amazing how your wants/needs change. And, how disorganized you really are when you first start.

This is so true! I get better organized every time out.

Mash2 I think my T@b has stabilizer pads like those already attached. Would those do the trick if the group d got soft?

• Options
    They've worked fine for me in all kinds of terrain (mine are 7.25" as I recall).  I had some stabilizer blocks that I quit taking with me over a year ago.  I've been in some pretty muddy and soft terrain and they've worked fine.  At least for me, they've been fine (just 4 less things I need to haul around).  If I needed them, I would just use the generic blocks that I've squirreled away in various locations under the rear seats for emergencies -- they do double duty).  For me, my big luxury is a lithium drill that I use to pull down the stabilizers -- it' also one of my screwdrivers that goes with a 45 bit screwdriver set.  Charge it in the TV and leave in wheel space of the TV.  Now that I've used a lot for emergency repairs in the middle of nowhere (along with a universal wrench I'm ready to tear everything apart and start over).  
  • Options
    Pixelated, I think once you get out there you really start thinking about what you need based on experiences.  I got the tab because it was little and just keep adapting things that meet my needs and serve multiple functions (and are preferably small).  Last I looked you were traveling...are you still on the road?
  • Options
    Yep - 3.5 months total, 2 months full-time.
    Like you, I wanted something small. Something that I could get in almost anywhere and make a u-turn in a standard intersection. But not too small to be really cramped. The T@B's worked out perfect now that I'm organized - or have the routines down that work for me.

Awhile ago I experienced the opposite - Guy next to me had the biggest, fanciest RV I've seen (four slide-outs) and was pulling a trailer with a four-passenger Polaris Razer four-wheeler, a Mini Cooper and a 2x3 foot cast iron griddle. - No thanks, too much work.