Options

Solar charge control wiring and a shunted battery monitor

We had nuCamp install our Victron Battery Monitor with our build last year.  I should have asked them to add a negative wire for the charge control battery limb.  I know this lead needs to come off the load side of the shunt, but can we just attach it to a post in the junction box, or do we need to actually splice into the lead coming directly off the shunt?  Jenn, Frank - I know you both use shunted systems.  Anyone else out there using a shunted meter and solar?

We have been just hooking the charge controllers battery leads to the battery and of course, we can't "see" the solar charging take place on the battery monitor.

Thanks for your help.  Sharon
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    SAM said:
    We had nuCamp install our Victron Battery Monitor with our build last year.  I should have asked them to add a negative wire for the charge control battery limb.  I know this lead needs to come off the load side of the shunt, but can we just attach it to a post in the junction box, or do we need to actually splice into the lead coming directly off the shunt?  Jenn, Frank - I know you both use shunted systems.  Anyone else out there using a shunted meter and solar?

We have been just hooking the charge controllers battery leads to the battery and of course, we can't "see" the solar charging take place on the battery monitor.

Thanks for your help.  Sharon
    Yeah, I have my Victron controller running through the shunt for that very reason. I am going to take a closer looks t how Nucamp wired everything when the weather warms up. I I might rewire everything using a bus bar for a cleaner install while I am at it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014