Options

Chevy Colorado Duramax

2»

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    7-Pin 'Battery Charge' circuit always active/on/hot.
    For all engine types and with or without tow package.
    Actually all twins are built for towing, tow package adds the 2" bolt-on receiver and 7-pin . . . 7-pin wiring and aftermarket brake controller wiring are standard.

Circuit is:
    Truck Battery --> F24UA  30A fuse  -->  4mm wire (~11AWG) --> 7-Pin
    No isolation relay.

I have added a relay to my truck.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    GM Twins Brake Controller

Highly recommend you get the Factory Installed Electric Brake Controller.

While all trucks are wired for an aftermarket controller, there is not much under dash room for mounting the little control box with it not being in the way of driver knees.

It is also not reasonable to have the factory system installed after vehicle purchase as it requires reprogramming ECU as the ECU has the brake control logic.  Most GM/Chevy dealers say they won't do it, I found one that said they might do it but it would be several hundred dollars.

In the end I purchased the harsher ride Z71 model because it was the only Colorado in my 500 mile radius with factory brake controller.  There were a couple of GMC Canyon's with it but I found the Chevy sloping hood more comfortable driver view wise.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @MuttonChops, You'll get used to the harsher ride in the Z71. my Avalanche has pretty much the same, if not stiffer, and I didn't think I'd like it at first either. You'll enjoy the towing capacity that you get from the Colorado, and the ride will not even bother you after a while! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I would venture to guess the bumps will go away once you weight the tail end...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    mkritzmkritz Member Posts: 4
    Anyone running WDH with their Colorado/Tab400 combo?
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    edited May 2019
    I have a Colorado Z71 .. gasoline model. I had looked at the DuroMax specs but they hadn't quite been released yet when I bought. I opted for the gasoline model though because the DuroMax is 4 cyl and makes up for it with turbo. Weighing various things.. I just worried that turbos to boost a 4 cyl engine seems ... great for fuel economy but kind of defeats some of teh beautiful simplicity of Diesel engines.

As to mileage.. my Colorado (6 cyl gasoline) when not towing can get 25+ Mpg. My best 25 mile record was 31 MPG (probably quite a bit of down hill and/or lower speed .. can't remember) but when towing I get a lot less .. as low as 12 MPG if I'm trying to maintain speed in hilly / variable terrain.

I love the Colorado and if the 4 cyl with turbo engines prove long lived and reliable.. I think it may be a superb choice.. I just decided in my case not to wait for it. Had they had a 6 cyl diesel, I might have gone for that.

I plan to own this Colorado a while. Were I to need to replace it today I might just get another.. though i MIGHT opt for the normal bed instead of the short...

And I'd get a look at what folks who own the duromax say about its reliability and TCO

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    Tabfortwo said:
    I've looked into them also the diesel doesn't get much better mpg than the gas motor with the 7000 upcharge it will take about 150,000 miles to recoup your money. The f-150 Is available with a 3.0 diesel which will give you close to  30 mpg towing these small trailers.
    the up charge for my diesel was $3400 not $7000 in a 2018 model. It increases the range that I have when pulling the trailer which is a lot better than the very good v6.
  • Options
    GM Twins Brake Controller

Highly recommend you get the Factory Installed Electric Brake Controller.

While all trucks are wired for an aftermarket controller, there is not much under dash room for mounting the little control box with it not being in the way of driver knees.

It is also not reasonable to have the factory system installed after vehicle purchase as it requires reprogramming ECU as the ECU has the brake control logic.  Most GM/Chevy dealers say they won't do it, I found one that said they might do it but it would be several hundred dollars.

In the end I purchased the harsher ride Z71 model because it was the only Colorado in my 500 mile radius with factory brake controller.  There were a couple of GMC Canyon's with it but I found the Chevy sloping hood more comfortable driver view wise.
    I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and added Hellwig sway bar and it is a lot better
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @DigitalSorceress ALLMOST all diesels are turbocharged, can't think of a modern diesel that isn't from my four cylinder diesel Jetta all the way up to biggest truck on highway.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Tabnero said:
    . . . harsher ride Z71 model because it was the only Colorado in my 500 mile radius with factory brake controller.  There were a couple of GMC Canyon's with it but I found the Chevy sloping hood more comfortable driver view wise.
    I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and added Hellwig sway bar and it is a lot better
    @Tabnero;   Did you replace shocks with Street or Off-Road Bilsteins?
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I towed a 6500 lb travel trailer for 11 years, first with a 1/2 ton Silverado with 5.0L, then with a Silverado 4x4 Duramax 2500.  Needless to say, the diesel was a dream to tow with and improved towing MPG, but both vehicles had the same shortcoming:  a small fuel tank.  I was having to stop every 150-200 miles or so to refuel.  I traded the Duramax for a 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with extended range fuel tank.  I can drive 700 miles without refueling, and can’t wait to see what it will do towing a T@B 400!  I would have considered a smaller truck had any of them had a larger fuel tank.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited June 2019
    TNOutback said:
    I towed a 6500 lb travel trailer for 11 years, first with a 1/2 ton Silverado with 5.0L, then with a Silverado 4x4 Duramax 2500.  Needless to say, the diesel was a dream to tow with and improved towing MPG, but both vehicles had the same shortcoming:  a small fuel tank.  I was having to stop every 150-200 miles or so to refuel.  I traded the Duramax for a 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with extended range fuel tank.  I can drive 700 miles without refueling, and can’t wait to see what it will do towing a T@B 400!  I would have considered a smaller truck had any of them had a larger fuel tank.
    A large fuel tank is a big plus!

My old truck had a 74L fuel tank, and I really appreciate the extra 24L capacity in my new truck. It saves me having to carry a 25L jerry can.  

98L gives pretty good range towing a 320, but those 130+L tanks you can get in some trucks are just the ticket for towing bigger trailers. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    We sold the Duramax diesel and got the zr2 gas. I had 4 shop visits for injector issues and was not willing g to do a 5th. Miss the mileage but I sleep better
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited July 2019
    Tabnero said:
    We sold the Duramax diesel and got the zr2 gas. I had 4 shop visits for injector issues and was not willing g to do a 5th. Miss the mileage but I sleep better
    We’re they failing? Did you trade in on the lemon law? Knock on wood...so far, so good. I had the same good luck with my Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. Many pp, complained about them; I had zero issues with mine.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I will replace my aging caynon with a gas caynon instead of diesel,  too many injector and DEF horror storys.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Unfortunately almost all diesels since 2010 or so have some issues, they are way more complex than say pre 2007, but also way cleaner tailpipe. Even though I have two older diesel vehicles and like them, I am having a hard time convincing myself it makes since to buy a new one. I think mostly issues worked out on the big trucks, but even they have issues and even if it goes perfect, still a lot more bits and pieces to wear out and service over time.

The newer direct injection gasoline technology is producing pretty good mileage numbers and is hard to ignore.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Loved the truck, but the parts supply on hand at dealers is sparse. So it is 3 days no matter what if you have a problem. Also most dealerships have one guy certified to work on them. First time it wen into limp mode was rainy Saturday afternoon with tab and dog. Repair completed on following thursday after first part was incorrect. So limp mode is a pain in the butt. So 2 nox sensors, diesel injectors later you would think it is ok. Maybe maybe not. I was not going to deal with it anymore. I sold chey trucks for 5 yrs while in my 20's. So I have owned a lot or trucks, first, second, third and 4th time I have ever
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Tabnero said:
    Interesting.  Never had one single issue with my big Duramax when I sold it with almost 200K miles.