Options

Another Saturday pick up

robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
Like BigGrover, I too am getting ready to go and pick up my new 400. I will be leaving in 30 minutes with my 320S in tow to meet one of the staff from D&H RV in Apex, NC, at a pre-arranged location outside of Jacksonville, FL to make the trade. If it wasn't for D&H accommodating me like this, I don't think I would have been realizing this so soon.  Instead of the 2 day, long drive, mad dash that I have made in trades with them in the past (one day long drive up leaving at 4 a.m., camp one night, and one long day drive back to Florida), this time they're bringing it much closer to me along with the best deal I could get compared to the closer dealerships!

Of course the downsize of all this became apparent last night at an art opening for a friend of mine. He took my wife to the side, but well within earshot range of me, and advised her that he would testify in the divorce proceedings about my obsession with campers. Yes, I know, the 400 is the 5th camper I will be owning in 4 years, but, as I said before, this is the last one (maybe)!! Anyway, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't enabled by good deals and knowing what I would be most comfortable with (usually storage and light weight with a well thought out design).... and besides, as I tell my wife, at least its not boats, cars, or other expensive obsessions... and this is our inexpensive resort hotel for the beaches at Cape San Blas and St. George Island!
North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Congrats! Drive safe and forget everything except the wonderful camping experiences you are going to have! :clap:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Safe trip and enjoy your new 400!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @robpt I have no issues with multiple trailers. I’ve been playing musical cars for a couple of years now in part because we now have a 2017 320S. I’m not happy with the latest one so I see one more trade in our near future. Enjoy your 400!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart....Ha... told 'ya to buy a Chevy! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    @ericnliz I’ve got my eye on the new Subaru Ascent. The Jeep has some new “features “ that are beyond annoying. I do still love the Highlander however. Lots in my life I can’t change, but vehicles aren’t on that list! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    @ericnliz I’ve got my eye on the new Subaru Ascent. The Jeep has some new “features “ that are beyond annoying. I do still love the Highlander however. Lots in my life I can’t change, but vehicles aren’t on that list! 
    What features of the Jeep don’t you like?

If you go for the Ascent, might I humbly suggest waiting a year for Subaru to start working out all the bugs with a whole new vehicle.

:)

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    Got home with it safe and sound. We made the exchange at a Flying J Travel Center off 301 outside of Jacksonville. I arrived about 20 minutes before the 400 and while sitting in my vehicle, a couple of people started going over my 320S. I got out and talked to them and gave them details about it. They were very interested. It was then I saw the 400 pulling in. First time laying eyes on one in real life! Once it was parked, more people. A woman came over and asked to take pictures of it and I gave her a peek inside.

I had to do a quick go-over of the camper and found one glitch: that big ole humongous battery had somehow tore the wood rail that holds it in  up and had slid around the storage compartment, breaking the o -ring positive connector to the battery. I had no idea how that had happened, unless, someone had hit a speed bump too hard with it. It couldn't be fix at the location so I decided to fix it at home. I have no Service Department in Tallahassee, Fl. The dealer is over 500 miles away and I am kind of on my own. I think Camping World is authorized to work on NuCamp, but I do not trust them as they don't sell the camper. I got it home replaced the strip of wood in front of the battery (wanted to put longer screws in, but I don't know what's underneath and how much depth I had. Why does NoCamp use such short screws? Anyway, I fashioned another connector and got the power working again. There was one blown fuse, but it was all up and running again. I will have to solder the connector tomorrow to make it more secure. 

The Toyota 4Runner did fine with the camper. It was really not that noticeably different than pulling the 320S. I was surprised that my gas mileage even seemed a tad better going back with it, but I was fighting a head wind on my way over, so that explains a lot. I will invest in a friction sway control hitch just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the congratulations and if you're ever bumping around the Panhandle of Florida, let me know!

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    For a moment there, I thought you were going to sell the 320 right there! Congratulations, your 400's a beauty and it's had it's first zombie before you got it home!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    What a nice looking 400! Love the color! Good thing you are handy, I’d be sunk. Thanks for the pics.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Congrats!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    Congrats, it's beautiful! Love the red, white and blue! Enjoy!

Gail & John 

• Options
    @robpt, Congrats on both your new 400 & figuring out a good fix for the battery. One suggestion though...rather than going with much longer screws..use some wood glue on the rail for the battery, then screw it down with the same length, or a tad longer screw. I've had to do that in a different camper that had a rail that was in a place where it got knocked around a lot. After two attempts with just screws, and the same problem arising, the glue made the fix a permanent one. I'm curious for you to keep us posted on your evaluation on moving from a 320 to the 400. I know a lot of folks are kickin' the "upgrade" idea around, and first-hand experience is ALWAYS the best teacher. Have fun & keep us posted!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Congrats on your new 400!  love your color choice and the graphics!  Having a T@B does bring out the creativity in us for sure.  Keep us up on your mods and enjoy!
  • Options
    @ericnliz, you are right, I had thought wood glue like you suggested, but then I realized if the battery ever needs to be replaced one of the 3 rails has to come up and the front one would make for an easier removal of the battery.  The support above the battery doesn't allow lifting straight up ( that battery is really heavy.) If anything was glued down, then it would possibly cause some damage to the wood flooring pulling the rail up. I don't know, I have to look at it again. The better option would have been simple straps to hold the battery in place. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how much force was involved to cause the battery to tear up the rail, pull the wiring off the retainer clips on the wall behind it, and snap the positive o-ring off its lead. The battery had backed itself up on the other side of the bed support that sits over the top  of it and had scarred the back wall (not badly) where it hit it. The thing is, that battery didn't budge on the drive back with nothing holding it, it is so heavy. 

Once I have a chance to go out in it I will certainly report back about the difference between the 320S and the 400. I spent all morning in it packing items from the 320S and I can tell you right now, the storage is a real luxury! I was worried about the refrigerator, but it has more than enough space and I do like having a freezer again! And for once, workable counter space! The only other camper I had with a workable counter was a truck camper, the Adventurer 80RB. It had the same round, deep sink and more usable countertop. I had no problems with the wet bath of the 320S, but this one actually offers more privacy and because of the shower curtain, feels more like a dry bath.  The one thing I truly like a lot, is the accent lighting. It adds a lot of depth to the interior along with the expanse of windows, as you'll see in the pictures.

It was a series of fortuitous events that led me to upgrade this soon. I had been obsessing about the camper even before I bought the 320S (I obsessed about the Alto also, but I am not going to drive to Canada to get one), but it was out of my price range. I kept checking prices from several dealers, including D&H, but no one was budging.  I figured I would have to give it a few years for used ones to start showing up in the market and, in the meantime, the 320S was still a nice camper to have. One day, I got a promotional email from D&H offering a special "email price"on one. I wasn't too hopeful as my offers for trade with the closer dealers came back with some abysmal trade allowances on the 320S with top end prices on the 400. One dealer even refused to take the 2018 320S in on trade as it was "too new". D&H offered me a very good trade (I bought it from them and have done business with them already 3 times) and what really put the icing on the cake was their offer to drive it part way to me which was a an incredible offer. So now something I thought was going to happen maybe in a few years has already happened! 

@atlasb, I think my first mod is going to be a more secure and easily undone battery retainer - I'll be looking into a strap system. 

• Options
    edited February 2018
    @robpt, thanks for the reply, and after reading the configuration you described, a tie-down seems to be a more feasible resolution. The only other way I could think of, would be to have that piece of wood be able to swivel for access to the battery without having to lift it. Thanks for the photos & your initial "likes" already. The shower part of it alone would be a big plus for me...but then I wouldn't be learnin' new dance moves!  =) Such a conundrum to be in, huh? :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz, if I remember correctly your tales of shower dancing included some degree of contortionism. With a bigger bath in the 400 you could actually get hurt and we wouldn't want that!  ;)
  • Options
    Robot, try changing the blue back cashions around.  We did not know they can be used several ways.  Skwee posted sometime ago that they will change.
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    About the battery wood strips. I have wonder myself just how durable those are, especially if removed a few times.

Thinking once I remove a strip for that sort of battery access, I would think about seeing if this type of solution would work. 

6 Size Zinc Alloy Hex Socket Threaded Insert Nuts Assortment Kit For Wood Furniture. They can be located on the A-Z web site or your favorite hardware store (closest one...:)) 

Got to be better than the current wood screw means of attachment on such a thin strip to retain a heavy item after a few removals and reinsertions.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    @LSkrabut, good idea! I will take a look at those next weekend on a hardware run.. I am trying to get an idea of the weight of that battery (had to lay it on its side so I could get the terminals back under the bed support above it and then pick it back up) and I am thinking somewhere between 120 - 150 lbs from reading the weight of comparable 200 amp-hour agms. It needs something more substantial than a small wood strip with shallow screws to keep it from moving in an forceful movement situation. 

@atlasb, I was doing the very same thing today. It took me awhile to figure out how to undo the latches on the table rail, but I am just getting use to this camper and the possibilities...

@ericnliz, if you need to free yourself for some more creative moves while showering, the 400 is your answer; no more hunched over, chin tucked to the chest, and arms glued to your sides, turning with little steps to keep from hitting the ceiling and the walls with this shower! That may be an exaggeration, but I stood in it today with the shower curtain pulled around me and there was plenty of movement room. The ceiling height was more than adequate for me, but I am pushing it to say I am 5'8" tall. I could just stand up in the 320S.
  • Options
    pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    Having swapped out batteries three times (a story for another time, but must say had great support from nuCamp and battery folks) you will find it is better to plan on taking it out from the inside.  It weighs around 140 lbs so be careful with the lifting. You will need to remove the strip from the inside end and slide the battery into the center of the bunk area, then lift it out onto the floor. Anyway you don't need to worry about the retaining stripe next to the hatch being removable, you won't want to take it out that way...  for what that all is worth... Enjoy your new toy.  We have loved ours.
    2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Options
    I had contacted NuCamp regarding the mishap with the battery and to make sure that my repair will suffice by their standards. They have graciously asked me if I would like a bracket to better hold the battery. So it looks like I won't need to go out and search one down myself! I will post a picture of it after I get and install it.
  • Options
    @robpt, Just another prime reason nuCamp is the best! Makes you even happier that you bought a T@B, huh? Outstanding customer service & just plain facts that these folks truly care about their customers!
    Hmmmm.... If there's THAT much room in the shower....disco ball & some good dancin' music! :fearful::rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    robpt,  Could you open the compartment under the bed where the Alde is installed and take a picture of the Alde and it's plumbing lines and valves.  Did your 400 get the   Alde 3020 ?  Thanks for posting! 
  • Options
    @atlasb, not the 3020, but the 3010. I think that part of the reason for the email price was that they were wanting to clear space for upcoming newer models. I am not familiar as to what changes were made from the first 400s on the market to the latest - which I think BigGrover got in on. I am not really familiar with the differences in the 3020 and the 3010, other than the former is better for higher altitudes. Please correct me if I am wrong. The 3010 is what I was familiar with in the Cirrus truck camper and in the 320S I traded in. 

• Options
    Hi robpt,  I am not familiar either with the 3020, but in one of the other threads on the Alde, it is noted that they are using a switch/ valve to control the gas flow via an orficed type valve.  there is a part # but the Alde site says they only sell through dealers.  the installation  tells you to shut down the Alde and turn the switch/ valve to the high altitude position.  It should come with the 3020 and Big Grover says that is the unit in his 400.  Our 400 was produced 3rd week of July so that was not done at that time.  There is a mod done adding another regulator under the belly, but the Valve/ switch seems simpler to me.  The Switch/ valve is shown to be in the gas line leading into the 3020.  Did not see it in your picture or in our 3010 either.  Thanks for the Picture.  Will wait until tomorrow and see what is in Big Grover's picture.