Options

Picnicking at Yellowstone

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited February 2018 in Camping & Travel
The headline alone sounds like an invitation for bears, doesn't it?

For those of you who have been to Yellowstone more than me, I am curious about how crowded the picnic areas get. I am guessing lunch is more crowded than dinner. In light of this, should we plan to bring a portable grill or wleave it home? We are not going to want to sit around all day, waiting for a grill to free up and going back to the campground will not always be an option. We are probably most likely to grill at dinner time, since sunset is so late in early July.

By the way, I found a list if picnic areas and which ones have grates, here.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/picnic.htm

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Jenn, we don’t recall seeing packed picnic areas, but we either backpacked or ate at a concessionaire place.  Why not bring the portable grill and be able to use it whereever you land?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
     Interesting statistic from our guides two weeks ago, the park gets about 130,000 visitors between December and February. They get the same number in one day in July.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
     Interesting statistic from our guides two weeks ago, the park gets about 130,000 visitors between December and February. They get the same number in one day in July.
    Not encouraging! Yet, I know it is true. We will get up early to hit high volume areas and try to hit some off the beaten path areas during busy times, as much as feasible.

SAM said:
    Jenn, we don’t recall seeing packed picnic areas, but we either backpacked or ate at a concessionaire place.  Why not bring the portable grill and be able to use it whereever you land?
    I will probably end up doing that. Either the Coleman gold and go and the Coleman grill/stove combo. I have owned the latter, before and it seems like both would amply serve the purpose.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Jenn, we have not had any issues finding a picnic spot. Even right after the eclipse last year. We often will set up a stove. I find most people head to the stores and restaurants at meal times. We enter the park as self contained and prepared for many more days than we are staying. I hate the crowded stores. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I've never had a problem finding space in the picnic grounds. I would bring my own grill as you never know the condition, cleanliness and grill height.  I like the idea of cooking away from where you sleep.  I highly recommend Tower campground.  Reservations are not allowed. There are no hookups either.  You should be fine with your solar.  Get there early in the morning and you should be fine.  It's a great location.  Have fun!
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    I've never had a problem finding space in the picnic grounds. I would bring my own grill as you never know the condition, cleanliness and grill height.  I like the idea of cooking away from where you sleep.  I highly recommend Tower campground.  Reservations are not allowed. There are no hookups either.  You should be fine with your solar.  Get there early in the morning and you should be fine.  It's a great location.  Have fun!
    John
    Thanks, John. We will be there the week of July 4th, so I would rather have reservations...what was I thinking? July 4th? Lol