Options

Solar Power 101

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    jkjenn said:

Larry, I just got the GZ Maintainer 10 as a solar battery tender. So far, I have been happy with the results. It comes with alligator clips and an SAE connector. The battery charger is built into the panel.

Well, I looked at several different options as a battery tender, and finally decided on this option, which I ordered today.  I got tired of running an extension cord out to the shed to keep the battery topped off.  I can only get direct sun about half a day (trees blocking rest of day), but I'm hoping this will be enough to keep the battery charged.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I've had the GZ Maintainer 10 plugged into the 12V plug that I mounted on the LP/battery cover for a couple of days now.  So far, it's working great.  It gets about a half day of sun, which seems to be more than enough for maintaining the charge.  I haven't decided yet whether to mount it permanently on the side of the shed or just leave it sitting free so I can move it whenever I want.

BTW, in the Q&A section of the listing, it says you can tell if the battery is charging if the blue light is on.  That is not necessarily so since you can unplug it and the blue light still stays on.  This means, I assume, that the blue light merely indicates that the panel is sending power out, not that it is actually charging the battery.  Only way to check that is with a separate meter.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Larry, I am glad to hear it is working out for you! The one thing I discovered here is that the weight of the snow overpowers the suction cups, so I will need to think about a different option, although, I think that even laying flat on the propane cover, I was getting enough sun to keep it topped off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Has there been a discussion (probably and I'm missing it!) about the Zamp vs. Renogy? I see Renogy has a 100w suitcase type portable panel and the cost is much less compared to Zamp (although Zamp is 120w). I was thinking of going the Renogy route but asked on their online chat about having it set up with the quick disconnect (like Zamp has) instead of the alligator clips to go directly into the T@B receptacle --- the sales person said it would require alternating the wires and the warranty would be voided. For those who have Renogy panels, what did you do? Connect directly to the battery?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options

Michelle, all it would take, I believe, is to unscrew the 2 terminals that are the out side of the charger and plug in this: http://www.zampsolar.com/product/solar-panel-wire/

I really don't see why that would compromise the warranty.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I was leaning toward the Zamp 120w system but took a look at Renogy's options.   A 200w Renogy system is less expensive than a Zamp 120w system.   How does Renogy compare to Zamp in terms of quality?  Is it worth it to get more power for less money?  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't add to the Zamp vs Renology discussion but I just discovered that if you screw up that little Zamp plug, you can't find them anywhere. You can find the plug prewired with 16 gauge but not the required 12 guage. So guard that with your life.
    Talked to Zamp and they suggested auto stores and RV parts stores - Nope, none had ever seen a 12 guage. Will have to call Zamp back again tomorrow and have them send me a new cable.
    ----------
    I was out doing night shooting, had the panels hidden behind the T@B, tripped on a rock, caught my foot on the cable and the little silver part of the plug bent and broke :-)

• Options
    LarryLarry Member Posts: 25

Look on Amazon. I made new connectors to extend my cables and to replace my clamp only connectors on an older Zamp with the new T@B fitting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DU3TTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All kinds of fittings etc.

Has worked like a champ for me!

• Options
    Larry - Any idea what gauge wire they are - Doesn't say on Amazon - Zamp factory guy told me you need 12 gauge or better. The ones I've found so far are 16
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Here is a 10 guage one. http://amzn.com/B0057ZQJ12
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    jkjenn said:

Michelle, all it would take, I believe, is to unscrew the 2 terminals that are the out side of the charger and plug in this: http://www.zampsolar.com/product/solar-panel-wire/

I really don't see why that would compromise the warranty.

I wondered too, Jenn - he said I'd have to cut wires. hmmmmm - and since I am a complete newbie on solar I took his word. The Renogy is a heck of a lot less expensive than the Zamp so I, too, wondered about the difference in the two.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Larry said:

Look on Amazon. I made new connectors to extend my cables and to replace my clamp only connectors on an older Zamp with the new T@B fitting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DU3TTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All kinds of fittings etc.

Has worked like a champ for me!

Larry - so did you have to cut wires on your Renogy to make the new connector?

• Options
    I have a older Zamp. Bought it used. Did not have the cute little connector for the TAB. I retrofitted the Zamp with a Anderson connector (the Zamp had one side already installed on it, found on Amazon) and the new wire with the TAB plug. So yes I cut, installed the connector to the new wire and bingo.
    Want pics?
  • Options
    Larry - if I find a used unit (like Zamp or Renogy), then I'd be more inclined to make modifications. But I'm very hesitant to purchase (for instance) a new Renogy and cut wires (voiding the warranty). Let me see what I end up with and perhaps at that point I may ask for pics/instructions - thanks.

• Options
    I wonder if they misunderstood you. There should be no reason to cut the wires.

• Options
    I dug around the internet and found this adapter (made by GZ) which I believe would work --

• Options
    Also found one here: http://www.solardealz.com/Battery-Quick-Disconnect-Kit-p/zs-bdc-a.htm.  This should work with the Renogy.

• Options
    Very cool Mickie. I did not find that kit and I looked! That is exactly what I put together from bits and pieces. The gray clip is the Anderson connector.
  • Options
    normfun - "Here is a 10 guage one. http://amzn.com/B0057ZQJ12"
    Get a blank page - or a message that this page is no longer available.
    Does it work for you still?
  • Options
    Ooops - Never mind, working now.
    Anyone know which side of the plug is positive and which negative?
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I can also chime in on the Zamp vs. Renogy discussion.  I had the Zamp 80w portable panels before going with Renogy for my 3-100w panels that I installed permanently, which I purchased as a kit including charge controller, cables and connectors  Both are very high quality monocrystalline panels and seem virtually identical.  While I haven't seen the Renogy portable setup in person, I would not hesitate to buy from them even at the same price point.  Considering the cost savings, Renogy would be a no-brainer for me if I were in the market for portable panels.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa - now that I found the adapter I've decided to try the Renogy portable. The only thing missing in that adapter is an inline fuse so - may have to find a workaround. Will get the 100w and believe that will work for me (although who knows if I'll want to increase panel size in the future).

• Options
    On the Zamp, the cable coming out of the controller has a ribbed side and a smooth side - Can anyone tell me which goes to hot and which to battery negative? - I need to do a temporary fix (alligator clips) until the new cable connector comes.
  • Options
    For Reference...
    On Zamp, the cord going to the Zamp plug on the propane tank cover has a ribbed side and a smooth, the ribbed goes to the positive terminal through the thick plastic part of the plug. The smooth side is negative and connects to the silver nipple side of the plug.
    Got an adapter plug from Zamp today and got the panels working again - I recommend everyone order a spare online as they are impossible to find out in the wild in the 10-12 gauge you need.
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Has anyone looked at the Renogy Voyager waterproof controller that just came out?  Is the waterproof feature on this enough to make me replace the one I have on my new Renogy panels?  The cost is $69.99.  I have the 200w panels and really don't want to worry about bringing them in if a shower pops up.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @foxden, Yes, I saw the new waterproof Voyager controller. Also has a nicer read-out than what came with my 100w suitcase. I'm seriously considering switching for the same "wet weather" scenario you mentioned, and the better read-out for the charge levels.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    We are purchasing the zamp 80W.  Battery use in the max is very minimal and 80W will be plenty.  Zamp has a very good reputation and it is plug & play.  Even when I use my cpap overnight the zamp 80 should have us fully charged my mid day.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    Foxden, I was shocked (pun, lol) to discover solar controllers were not waterproof when I first got into solar.  On the T@b, I try to keep the controller covered:  under the trailer, in a battery box, or inside the propane box next to the battery.  (Someone here mounted one in a cool old lunchbox.)  I just wish to high heaven that someone would make one of these that aren't so stupidly difficult to wire up.  Why do the 10,000 different solar controllers on Amazon have the same insanely small "windows" to try to stick the wiring into?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Renogy has a new waterproof one called Voyager - it's a PMW (or PWM - can't rem). Zamp's has always been waterproof. They don't want you to submerge it into a lake (you have other issues if that happens), but it can survive a torrential downpour in an afternoon t-storm... then the sun comes back out and all is well again with your solar charging!

Right now,  I'm doing the lunchbox - MPPT controller setup. I finally drilled the last grounding wire out of the lunchbox and set it up with a 30W panel to check it. Have wireless bluetooth dongle and phone app. I should go out and check it before I have to go to the dentist! lol.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)