Options

AGM storage experience

Just wanted to share the outcome of letting our Lifeline 150 amp AGM battery sit idle.  We charged the battery fully then stored it with the TaB in a temperature controlled warehouse without any electrical hook ups or charging.   We isolated the battery and after 4 months it remained at 100% charge - 12.8 v.  We were very impressed that it did not appear to lose anything.
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have experienced similar results; fully charge prior to storage and disconnect the battery cables to ensure no parasitic drain.  The batteries stay charged all winter.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    John - is that in freezing temperatures?  Ours was at 55 degrees.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    OTOH...I had an AGM batter (“Intimidator”) that I got from our llocal less than stellar RV dealer almost 3 years ago.  Every winter I’ve kept it in the T@B with the power switch off with no problems (although I was never impressed by its performance).  Last week when I tried to trickle charge it...no go...then a 4 to 6 amp charger...still wouln’t get over 11.5V.  So I’ve replaced it with a group 24 Interstate battery until I can find a better group 24 (AGM or ortherwise), or better yet two 6V’s.  After all the positive commentary about AGM’s I’m thinking I got a lemon to begin with...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    OTOH...I had an AGM batter (“Intimidator”) that I got from our llocal less than stellar RV dealer almost 3 years ago.  Every winter I’ve kept it in the T@B with the power switch off with no problems (although I was never impressed by its performance).  Last week when I tried to trickle charge it...no go...then a 4 to 6 amp charger...still wouln’t get over 11.5V.  So I’ve replaced it with a group 24 Interstate battery until I can find a better group 24 (AGM or ortherwise), or better yet two 6V’s.  After all the positive commentary about AGM’s I’m thinking I got a lemon to begin with...
    If my 6v batteries died today, I would get one of those nice 235 ah batteries from the 400. I would have to mount inside, but it would be worth it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, what is the weight on the 400 battery?  Our is 96# for 150 amps.
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Not sure and I forget the brand so I cannot look it up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    SAM said:
    Not sure and I forget the brand so I cannot look it up.

But a Lifeline battery is  156 lbs.

• Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    @SAM yes, at well below freezing temperatures for most of the winter.  I live in Idaho.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    John, Good to know.  We won't be storing at the Hilton forever!
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    The Discover AGM battery in the 400 is 138 lb.
    http://discoverbattery.com/product-search/view/EV4DA-A
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    MNtabernacleMNtabernacle Member Posts: 19
    Our experience with the AGM in the 400 over the winter was good (so far). Turned off the battery switch and it's stay up just fine stored outside. We're north of Minneapolis, and have a lot of sub-zero cold this year.
    Tim & Joan, Anoka Minnesota
    Silver on Silver 2018 T@B 400, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    skwhee said:
    The Discover AGM battery in the 400 is 138 lb.
    http://discoverbattery.com/product-search/view/EV4DA-A
    Ugh about the weight!!! *huff, puff, grrr* "ow!! My foot!!!" LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Thinking about the weight, is it spread over a wide surface area? Would have to mount it inside where there is a cross-beam underneath? Just curious.

My toy hauler is set up to carry secure loads distributed over 2 or 4 tires. What can the T@Bs in general carry (not 400s - wonder if there is reinforcement under).

I've kept a spare AGM motorcycle battery circa 2012 in the basement (constant temp) and it can still hold a charge of pretty close to 12.8V and will slowly lose charge over the winter months to 12.65V. It was going to be my spare battery for my bike, but it's a little old for that now! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)