Options

Towing with a new RAV Adventure.

tonyo35tonyo35 Member Posts: 16
Hi I am new to the forum and am strongly considering picking up a Tab.   We currently own 2016 Forester and I would be trading it in to pick up the new 2018 Rav Adventure which has the towing capacity of 3,500. It has an upgraded radiator and a supplemental engine cooler and transmission fluid cooler. It still has the standard 2.5 Rav four cylinder   engine.   The Tab's that I am interested in seem to have a weight of between 1,600 to 1,800 dry and was wondering what forum felt about using the 4 cylinder engine for such a large load. We really like to own cars that get great mileage.  I would be making this trade solely due to the towing capacity of the  new Rav Adventure.  We love the Forester but the towing level is up to 1,450.  Would this arrangement work?  Thanks bob

Comments

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I have a outback tab....used to tow with a Tacoma.    It can tow up to 5000 lbs..... however I just bought a Tundra....older model just to pull my tab....and it has a small v8.   Look into the 4 runner if you can.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I have no familiarity with the Rav Adventure, but can address your more general question...

I towed a ~1400lb trailer/motorcycle combo with my 2.4L I-4 Nissan Frontier rated at 3500lbs towing capacity. It was okay--I got from point A to point B--but I decided if I was ever going to tow something that size with any regularity, something bigger was in order. I now have a 4.0L V-6 Frontier that tows the T@B with ease. So...

Will a properly equipped and rated 4-cylinder tow a T@B?  Yes.
    Will it win any races doing so?  No.
    Will you care?  I don't know.
    Is more power worth the hit in gas mileage when you are not towing?  That's up to you.

Just my $0.02. There are lots of variables, and plenty of people here who tow with 4-cylinders and like it just fine! YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    I also have an Outback Tab and tow with a 2001 6 cyl Tacoma. I usually get 24 mpg highway but mileage drops to 15 mpg towing.  Even with a 6 cyl, it is a bit of a struggle in the mountains....I don't have the towing package so don't know if that makes any difference.   For a year or so now, I’ve been looking at the different Toyota vehicles in preparation to purchase.  I love the RAV but decided that I need something with higher tow rating.  At minimum, a Highlander.  But will probably go with another Tacoma because of the versatility, not to mention my budget  :).  
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Checking the specs of that engine:

Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 176 @ 6000; Torque (Net @ RPM): 172 @ 4100

That's definitely at the low end for vehicles rated to tow 3,500 lb. 

So, since the T@b fits comfortably within the lated tow limit, you certainly can do it.  But, strong head winds may have the engine revving pretty high to maintain speed.  That means more noise, and worse fuel economy.  On steep highway grades, you will likely not be able to maintain the speed limit. 

So, like ScottG says, you have to decide what unloaded / towing performance figures are most important to you. 

Personally, I tow with a truck rated to tow 5,500 lb, with 242 HP and 242 ft.lb.  For most situations, it is more power than needed.  But, sometimes I put my foot to the floor, and ask for all the available power.  Most often, that is when I am trying to merge into traffic which is traveling at or above the speed limit.  The extra power makes those situations less stressful.  One time after a fuel stop, the ramp I was trying to merge on was up hill.  Accelerating a load up hill requires a lot of power. 

Happy shopping.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    If Toyota says it will tow 3500lbs it will tow 3500lbs. 
    You’re really the only one who can answer if that will work for you. 
    How are are you planning to use the trailer (monthlong trips or just weekend jaunts to a nearby state park)?
    How much gear do you carry (bikes, kayaks, outdoor kitchen)?
    Just yourself or spouse, kids, and dogs?
    People use these trailers in a lot of different ways so it’s hard to answer your question.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Do they make a Rav with a 6 cyl?   I am sure that would be fine....not sure if they offer the 4.0 or 3.5 engine in that....
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Do they make a Rav with a 6 cyl?   I am sure that would be fine....not sure if they offer the 4.0 or 3.5 engine in that....
    They used to put a V6 in the Rav4.  It was a peppy little ride by most accounts.  But, those days are now gone, with the push to achieve economy above all else in the segment. 

Now, you can have any engine you want, as long as it is a 4cyl. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Agree with earlier posts that your T@B usage plan is a major factor as to what tow vehicle is acceptable.

I've also owned high mileage vehicles with highway MPG in the 40-50 range in the past.  So while shopping for a trailer towing vehicle how it will (hopefully) be used was a major factor in vehicle selection.  For me the towing capacity and power margin of a V6 engine won over 4-cyl non-towing gas mileage as my plan is for frequent and long road trips.

Keep in mind:
      -  RAV Adventure gas mileage at  22/28/25 is not so wonderful to start with
            many V6 vehicles are near that range
      -  RAV Adventure tow package does not appear to include 7-pin (or even 4-pin) wiring.
            there is also no reference to it being "pre-wired" for a electric brake controller (ask dealer)
      -  RAV literature shows them towing a T@G not a larger frontal area trailer like a T@B
      -  RAV Adventure payload is ~ 1,000#.  Deduct two people, full gas tank, trailer tongue weight
             and you are down to 400# or so.  Risk of overloading RAV axles will be greater.
             Suggest you stop by a dealer and look at the DOT label for GVWR and Axle Ratings

Again, as others have said - - - Yes it will tow, only you can decide if it's a positive experience.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    What is the tongue weight limit on the Rav4? That’s part of the picture, too. The Tab 1670# dry weight is without the battery, propane tank plus propane, trailer gear, food, clothes, supplies, water, etc. When I first started looking at trailers (my first) and figuring out a different TV I read all I could, asked questions, and traded a 2015 Outback for a 2015 Highlander. I’ve never regretted the decision to get a 6cyl TV. Toyota stopped producing the 6cyl Rav4 in 2010 I believe. Good luck with your search and decision!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @tonyo35, all of the above is sound advice, and I leave that to the contributing experts. But I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum! There are great people here and sound advice to help you in many things. I find the many different points of view informative, coming from so many varied individuals with even a greater range of experiences. Often someone will adress an issue that I hadn't thought of, or come at it from another angle. You've come to a great place if considering a t@b. Good luck with your adventure and keep us updated with whatever decision you make, TV or t@b. - Denise & family.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2018
    Having those additional coolers is definitely a good thing. But that little 4 cylinder engine is going to be screaming going up hills. Also keep in mind that smaller engines have to work harder when towing, so your mpg is going to drop significantly.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    Thanks for all the helpful comments. Sounds like any 4 cylinder car will struggle with this. I am going to try the 4 Runner but hate the mileage and will try the Highlander.  Already put 500.00 down on the Rav Adventure and the salesman was dying to put a hitch on but I asked him to hold off. Sure he was in a hurry as that would have locked me into the car.  The Highlander sounds like a better bet but they are about 7,000 more.  Wish I had not given the dealer the deposit.   thanks so much Bohemian Bob
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was one of the lucky ones with a 2006 RAV4 that had the V6. Great car. I just outgrew it. It towed the T@B and also my Little Guy Reverse TD perfectly. Even though it said it included a "tow package", I had to put the wiring harness in and put a 7 pin plug of my choosing on it.

That said, the instructions for the wiring harness were fabulous. Plug and play behind the driver's side kick plate and wires run underneath the molding. There's even a hole to run the wires outside to the 7-pin.

If I recall, my "tow pkg" did NOT come with the hitch. I had to purchase my own. I did not go aftermarket, but found a Toyota dealer online that would ship it at a price that was close to an OEM hitch. The bonus was that the holes in the brand name hitch fit the receiving holes in the bottom of car. BTW, installing a hitch is a 2-person job unless you have a few stand jacks. That sucker is heavy.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Get a 4 Runner if at all possible!  You will love it....and the roll down back window.  .lol
  • Options
    xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2018
    It seems from a previous thread that the Highlander doesn't have any factory wiring for 7 pin trailer plugs or brake controllers, if that is a concern for you; and only the high end models have the so called tow package. Do some research. Maybe a used Highlander if you're leaning that way. 
  • Options
    So what tow vehicle did you decide on?
  • Options
    Just wanted thank all the members on their car purchasing advice.  I sense that people were stressing that four cylinder car of any type is not the best setup for serious Tab travel or with any other trailer over 1,000 pounds.   As I stated I had put a deposit down on the new Rav Adventure but was able to switch to a new 2017 Toyota 4 Runner. Have never owned a six or eight cylinder car and sure I will have to adapt to the lesser mileage but looking forward to picking up a new or used Tab.  Will be picking up the new 4 Runner next week and it is only 4,000 more than the new Adventure Rav   Thanks  Bohemian Bob
  • Options
    Great choice!!  I am even excited for you.  I plan on buying one next year to add to my other 3 Toyotas lol
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I hear you regarding MPG, but your fuel economy will be better with the 6 while towing vs  the 4 while towing. It’s a matter of efficiency. I believe you’ll be happy with your selection! The other up side will be the amount of cargo space you’ll have inside the 4Runner!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2018
    I luv my 4 cylinder (2.1l) pulling my 400....

But I cheat, it's a diesel. 200 hp, 369 torque.

To me, torque is the key for towing. While hp helps, in gas engines - high hp, the torque is there when running  at high rpm. It is not the number of cylinders.

Some manufactures offer turbo charge or supercharge on 4/6 cylinders which offer the needed torque to pull and get good mileage.

Of course the transmisson and chassis has to match the tow rating needed.

Lots of homework to find the right TV for your needs.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    LSkrabut said:
    I luv my 4 cylinder (2.1l) pulling my 400....

Not Fair,  High Torque Diesels don't Count :) in this discussion.

p.s.  really miss my (pre-cheating) VW Jetta Diesel,  very fun to drive.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    You will take my Touareg TDI out of my cold hands while I stand at an empty diesel pump......
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi